MRP / Trib. Umpiring, MRO, Tribunal, Rule Changes - 50m penalties for raising arms?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to play devils advocate... We are just a very undisciplined team. We are forever hanging an arm out or punching balls away or knocking blokes late or wandering into zones. Or even niavely going in hard when we know the opponent will drop at the knees...

In isolation they are very small things that you shouldn't get punished for but as a part of a greater picture they add up, week after week after week. At the end of the day do enough undisciplined acts and one will cost you at a cruical stage and you'll be crying that little thing just cost us the game! It's always us!

Well it will be always us if we keep doing them 20 times a game

I do agree but I am of the opinion that the umpires are over coached and it would not surprise me if they are told that team XXX or more likely player XX does this regularly so the umpires are always processing events through a biased view.

e.g.
- "AMT always ducks to evade" so rarely gets free for around the neck.

- "McKernan always holds the jumper"....so gives away free's just by going near the ball. But he does bring this upon himself ;p

When was the last time an Essendon player was sent to a tribunal and was then free to play after deliberation that didn't involve ASAGA? Genuinely curious if there's someone out there that remembers (if it even happened).

"AFL representative Jeff Gleeson QC contended it was high and intentional conduct and that if the jury found that it was of enough impact to warrant a reportable offence, should be deemed low impact."

Low impact with that grading would have been a fine anyway (the 2.5k one that's normally 5k for a second offence). He was never gonna be suspended.

I think this is largely the issue in the game. The football public are largely idiots, and they are being educated on the game by what they see on TV, who are largely uneducated in the rules of the game.

If you want to change views you need to change the source for a majority of opinions.

If the AFL was serious they would apply some pressure to the producers of their product.
I know the AFL cant control media, but the situation at the moment is you have someone like Hodge or Bartel who are an absolute library of football information giving special comments that may actually provide some insight and they are cut off or ignored by the main commentators who start talking about the crowd, or the funny way someone runs or a funny sounding name and how they can make it more "entertaining".

I get that sometimes people want umpiring mistakes called out by people i agree that we cant do it now, but we could get to a position where that could occur where we could stand there and say ok this is wrong IF there was enough commentary and education on when the umpire gets it right. Speak through decisions, explain when something is correct but may be seen as incorrect. Then you can get to a point where a quick, yep umpire got that wrong but in real time it would have been hard.

Instead we get the weekends game which consisted of - non stop camera shots and commentary on Dusty trying to stay cool, shots of the crowd while the game was going on, we missed several throw ins due to it. At one stage the ball was called for deliberate and the commentators were too busy chatting and then caught up with the play and said it must have been out on the full.
The issue is the commentators have tried to create a product when they should be enhancing the game (you know the actual product). Now two diving frees which were bad are now dominating the AFL talking points, when they should just be noted as errors, player gets slammed for staging and we move on. But because there is rarely any admission of error, or there is hesitancy in admitting error the football public goes harder every time, which makes it harder to admit error which makes the public worse. You need to break the cycle and the easiest way to do that is through education.

Then you cut down your average people who are angry and you are just left with the minority of loons on the internet which we really need to learn to ignore.

Increase the knowledge that is actually communicated to the public through your commentary and you can then start to change the way people speak about things.
Part of the problem this season is that the commentators aren't actually at the game so they're calling the game remotely from different cities. They're calling what the director or vision controller is putting up on the screen.

I’m sure it does

But Hurley definitely added to it.

I’d love to watch the whole sequence of events. Apparently Tom “clean cut, I don’t do anything wrong” Lynch was holding Hurley hence big Mick trying to break the hand away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What bothers me the most was he literally walked away with nothing. No fine, nothing.

Wouldn’t that mean they are endorsing what Lynch has done?

I hope he does it again and the pressure from the public absolutely blasts AFL house.

They talk a big game (AFL) but do very little to implement it.

Pathetic organisation

What bothers me the most was he literally walked away with nothing. No fine, nothing.

Wouldn’t that mean they are endorsing what Lynch has done?

I hope he does it again and the pressure from the public absolutely blasts AFL house.

They talk a big game (AFL) but do very little to implement it.

Pathetic organisation

There is little surprise here. Look at the history of Martin getting off.

Lynch should have got a week for the incident against Gold Coast alone, let alone a third strike.

Not sure anyone can be too upset by it. It’s the way of AFL life.

Death, taxes and Essendon supporters whinging about umpiring decisions.

Last 10 years has seen it go to a whole new level. It happens when you wallow in mediocrity. Time to give it a rest and we are embarrassing ourselves and the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Death, taxes and Essendon supporters whinging about umpiring decisions.

Last 10 years has seen it go to a whole new level. It happens when you wallow in mediocrity. Time to give it a rest and we are embarrassing ourselves and the club.
I get what you're saying and kind of agree, but you have to admit it's been pretty bad the last month.

In any effect you're right we win games, and umpires tend to not even get a mention, regardless of their performance.

At the end of the day this staging crap is a storm in a tea cup, if the umpires don't pay the dumb free it dosent get this far and nobody cares. They have created the monster of staging by rewarding it for too long. It's on them to fix it. Open your bloody eyes , we can all see a flop and we are 100m further away than you, if not the main ump, surely one of the other 3 can have input, overrule him if it's wrong
Totally agree - many decisions are based on guesses... rather than fact

At the end of the day this staging crap is a storm in a tea cup, if the umpires don't pay the dumb free it dosent get this far and nobody cares. They have created the monster of staging by rewarding it for too long. It's on them to fix it. Open your bloody eyes , we can all see a flop and we are 100m further away than you, if not the main ump, surely one of the other 3 can have input, overrule him if it's wrong
The TV viewer gets an infinitely better view than the umpires.

Why don’t we have full time, professional umpires? It’s an incredibly complicated game to umpire, the rules are constantly changing and we ask amateurs to just umpire on the side. Do major professional leagues around the world do this? Surely with the amount of money the AFL pulls in it could afford to pay 20 or so umpires full time so that they can spend all week studying and going over the games from the week before, talking about interpretations of etc. Improve the standard of umpiring which at the moment is turning people off the game. And increase the pool of people wanting to get into umpiring when this is a chance of making a decent living at it, which would also improve the standard. Seems like a no brainer

Yeah nah.
I thought that the Grimes decision was well and truely a guess. Umprire on the wrong side, sees what he thinks is a push and pays it.

We have decisions paid against us from the central umpire 60m away with what they think is a push in the back or too high, when the umpire in the same area calls no issue.

We're not the only team being smashed with guess work umpiring this year.

I thought that the Grimes decision was well and truely a guess. Umprire on the wrong side, sees what he thinks is a push and pays it.

We have decisions paid against us from the central umpire 60m away with what they think is a push in the back or too high, when the umpire in the same area calls no issue.

Grimes decision? Sure. Some others? Probably.

But many? Nah.

Also the umpire wasn't on the wrong side.

The grimes one was a goal so as per that decision there should of been a goal review, the same as a touch decision. The viewing cameras are there, the ump has access to these people looking at infringements. If Grimes had of yelled out that he touched it there would have been a review. But Stringer cant get a review that he didn't push Grimes... Just crap

So having had both staging fines cleared, Michael Christian is essentially saying that:
a) From the footage, he's able to deduce that there was sufficient force in Stringer's push to send him flying forward a few metres; and
b) That Bellchambers' slap on Vlastuin's chest was so powerful that it sent his head flying back.

Does he have additional footage or information that we don't? The footage is pretty clear. Even worse when you add in Grimes' history for this stuff.

Leading on from that, if Bellchambers' hit was that powerful, does that suggest he should be fined/suspended? (As its inherently saying that Vlastuin's reaction was appropriate).

So having had both staging fines cleared, Michael Christian is essentially saying that:
a) From the footage, he's able to deduce that there was sufficient force in Stringer's push to send him flying forward a few metres; and
b) That Bellchambers' slap on Vlastuin's chest was so powerful that it sent his head flying back.

Does he have additional footage or information that we don't? The footage is pretty clear. Even worse when you add in Grimes' history for this stuff.

Leading on from that, if Bellchambers' hit was that powerful, does that suggest he should be fined/suspended? (As its inherently saying that Vlastuin's reaction was appropriate).
Michael Christian handed them the fines. For once it isn't his fault

Remove this Banner Ad

Back