MRP / Trib. Umpiring, MRO, Tribunal, Rule Changes - 50m penalties for raising arms?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't it happen once recently that the AFL General Counsel appealed a tribunal decision because it wasn't harsh enough and optics and stuff?

Not saying it's what they should do here but it's interesting that the umpires have reported players, the MRO has handed out sanctions in accordance with the AFL's constant interpretations and announcements about protecting the head and potential to cause injury and blah blah blah, the AFL's representative at the Tribunal itself made recommendations, and the Tribunal has gone ahead and thrown half of them out this week regardless.

I don't know if this shows how independent the Tribunal is, or how ****ed up the AFL is, or both..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe I agree with Damo.
Same, though I think he's being soft on McCartney. I'd say 6 months for that.

For the Neale type incidents I'd accept a fine for non-aggressive contact but
a) wouldn't put any faith in the AFL to be able to define it any meaningful way
b) fines levels need to upped across the board

Same, though I think he's being soft on McCartney. I'd say 6 months for that.

For the Neale type incidents I'd accept a fine for non-aggressive contact but
a) wouldn't put any faith in the AFL to be able to define it any meaningful way
b) fines levels need to upped across the board
Aren't fines like 50% due to covid? Or was that only last year?

Any deliberate contact should be a suspension.

On the other hand, it's not hard to see why they might get a bit upset.

Can't believe I agree with Damo.
Neale was just saying excuse me umpire, I am bleeding and I must depart the field due to the blood rule. It's a health and safety issue that the umpire missed and needlessly put players in danger of contracting a blood borne disease from Neale, who apparently is riddled with them

Aren't fines like 50% due to covid? Or was that only last year?

Any deliberate contact should be a suspension.

On the other hand, it's not hard to see why they might get a bit upset.
People at umpires?

If Neale grabbed a teammate like that because they'd made an error we'd all be roundly bagging him for being a flog.

The way it was rolled out made it sound like you couldn't stand behind the man on the mark within 5m to become a lane blocker.
It didn't sound like it was a pure protected zone. but now we know i guess.
Where it's been communicated to the umpire group it's a protected zone so I guess it's similar to what BrunoV and I were discussing the other day. There seems to be a disconnect in the message from the AFL.

In other news we had a coaching session tonight where the Blakey after the siren shot against us was shown. There was significant outrage here and on social media about him running off his line.

Tonight they showed us the footage of the shot from behind the goal. When he kicked the ball he was very clearly on his line.

Yet I remember fox footy at the time showing the "incident" from every other angle than the one that cleared it up. Coincidence? Doubt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back