Roast Very poor commentary from Brian Taylor and Luke Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

troys8

Debutant
Oct 8, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Firstly was at the game and have only seen the first quarter but imagine it will be the same in the other three, as it always is with these clowns. But are BT and Darcy complete knobs or do they just hate Geelong.

BT just hates us and wants the club to fail. All he spoke about was the lights going out and OHS crap, he doesn't have a clue. The Collingwood game was another example he got really quiet in the 3rd quarter then when they come back he couldn't stop talking. He always has a go at Lingy too, the difference being that Lingy actualy provides insight because he has recently left the club. He provides s**t all. When he was on MMM he wasn't that bad but now he's one of the worst out there.

As for Darcy he just doesn't have a clue. The freekick to Hunt in the first was a classic. Clear freekick then Darcy watches the replay and says that shouldn't have been a free. Richo comes back 2 seconds later and says no the free was there.

Can you believe when channel 10 lost the rights Darcy gets picked up by channel 7 while Huddo does the scrub games on fox footy. So wrong.

I know Gerrard Whately is great as well. Maybe I like them because they are both Geelong supporters. Channel 7 have done a terrible job bringing their team together.

I'm suprised to say that I think even Eddie isn't that bad. Not as biased as people think.

The Perth commentary team is probably the worst going around though. Adelaide not as bad.

It's an indicator of how terrible Brian Taylor is that, last week, when Richo was on Friday night's coverage and made a point, I was actually taken aback when it wasn't immediately rebuked with a pointless insult by Taylor. Instead McAvaney and Commetti actually took the point on board - amazing! Same happens with Cam Ling - anytime he actually interrupts their incessant "banter" with some actual analysis, he receives a stupid response or Darcy just mimics the comment with an unearned air of intelligence.

Channel 7 are the dirt worst when it comes to commentary. Zempilas, McLachlan, BT, Darcy... all people who've caused me to irrationally shout expletives at my television. Taylor's constant need to "playfully rib" about the ground last night was especially annoying as it detracted from a great night for the club and the city as a whole. For one night, he should've just shown some tact. I'm not asking for blind reverence but to focus so singularly on anything that went wrong was bloody annoying.

Worst thing is, we have a lot of Saturday night games to come. Boy oh boy, wowee, indeed.

I think that the core underlying problem with the 7 wannabe's is that they mistake our turning on to any broadcast as a result of some need by the audience to be entertained by them, rather than by the actual game.

The A team, otoh, embraces their role as a support act to the real stars down there on the paddock.

Last night's was indisputably the worst single game commentary since the halcyon days of the infamous Peter Landy.

Landy infamous? He was OK - called the game simply, didn't need to be the star of the show. He was a commentator - most guys (sic) these day's aren't.

Alot of commentary selection comes down to politics and ego. Seven went for BT as their face for footy, and he would then demand not to be teamed up with anyone clearer, wittier, wiser and friendlier than he. So Darcy fits the bill. I'd also suggest a few guys with the balls to say so would refuse to work with BT.

Darc isn't too bad but BT... Boy oh boy!
Those two make Ling look even better.

I never thought I'd feel sorry for a three time premiership player / premiership captain, but, well, here we are. Fair dinkum, how does Ling feel when he wakes up Saturday morning, knowing he has to work with these two on national television. Ling keeps joking about getting leading teams in, but these 2 are beyond help. Darcy might as well be replaced by a bobble head. I'd say BT needs a brain transplant, but that infers there one there two replace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, I agree that on a technical level BT and Darcy are not even remotely competent callers by any stretch (frequent misidentification of players, reactionary, kneejerk and myopic assessment of the state of play), but the real issue that rankles here I suspect is the lack of bipartisan enthusiasm that is inherent when they call Geelong games. I think some perspective is required here - Geelong has won 3 flags in recent memory and is still in a position to contend for a 4th. GC is an up & coming entity, a bunch of kids who were thrown together between 2009 and 2010 in an attempt to bring short term success to a long term investment. Geelong vs GC represents a classic Australian institution of supporting the underdog, barracking for the less fortunate to achieve a level playing ground. It is why Geelong's pre-game blurbs are more token and begrudging than the opposition's, it is why opposition goals are called more enthusiastically than Geelong's and it is why commentators always appear to be supporting the opposition. We are the bad guys now, the corporate entity, "The Man", the trophy to be claimed. It is boring when Geelong wins and as a result fans of 17 clubs are gunning for us - this support for the underdog (irrational hatred biases aside) is why we will continue to get a raw deal from commentators until someone else takes over from us as the incumbent bully.

OK, I agree that on a technical level BT and Darcy are not even remotely competent callers by any stretch (frequent misidentification of players, reactionary, kneejerk and myopic assessment of the state of play), but the real issue that rankles here I suspect is the lack of bipartisan enthusiasm that is inherent when they call Geelong games. I think some perspective is required here - Geelong has won 3 flags in recent memory and is still in a position to contend for a 4th. GC is an up & coming entity, a bunch of kids who were thrown together between 2009 and 2010 in an attempt to bring short term success to a long term investment. Geelong vs GC represents a classic Australian institution of supporting the underdog, barracking for the less fortunate to achieve a level playing ground. It is why Geelong's pre-game blurbs are more token and begrudging than the opposition's, it is why opposition goals are called more enthusiastically than Geelong's and it is why commentators always appear to be supporting the opposition. We are the bad guys now, the corporate entity, "The Man", the trophy to be claimed. It is boring when Geelong wins and as a result fans of 17 clubs are gunning for us - this support for the underdog (irrational hatred biases aside) is why we will continue to get a raw deal from commentators until someone else takes over from us as the incumbent bully.

I think you are absolutely spot on with the message being put out by the media in support of the underdog, I also think each week we have to face an oponent who gets up to play their best to measure themselves against the benchmark of the comp. I have no problem wiht this, it is good to be king.
My real problem is with incompetent muppets taking up roles that many more able people could fill.
If BT and Darcy were still playing footy we would call them list cloggers
BTW don't really understand why we have a seperate thread for this, pretty sure Media Bias covers all of this

I think you are absolutely spot on with the message being put out by the media in support of the underdog, I also think each week we have to face an oponent who gets up to play their best to measure themselves against the benchmark of the comp. I have no problem wiht this, it is good to be king.
My real problem is with incompetent muppets taking up roles that many more able people could fill.
If BT and Darcy were still playing footy we would call them list cloggers
BTW don't really understand why we have a seperate thread for this, pretty sure Media Bias covers all of this
I think the reason for a seperate thread, and the reason we get annoyed by these two is; if you read an article bagging Geelong in the newspaper, then you are reading that authors article. If you watch Carro give her opinion on footy classifieds, you are watching her show. If you are watching the footy, it's because you have tuned into watch YOUR team and as such don't want to hear flogs bagging your team. Unlike footy classifieds you can't turn it off if you don't like the opinion because then you miss the game. Thats why I think these two can have there own thread. Because we are subject to there bias if we want to watch the game.

They made a good game hard to watch last night.

Taylor was nearly crying in the last quarter.

2 weeks ago against the pies he was depressed in the last quarter, then you lost the lead and it was all of a sudden "Wow we, oh boy"

He was ok a couple of years ago, but is now a joke, and clearly has a grudge against Geelong.

There's an article floating around that makes the point a commentator should be a commentator because they either have a particular insight into the game or an above-average ability to communicate it to an audience. Judged on those two criteria, BT and Darcy are abject failures.

No! There's one other. Think Forss sees something in Taylor that eludes the rest of us.:)

i dont necessarily see something in bt that others dont, this has been his schtick for ages (3-4 years ago, or more, i remember on fox when he was banging on about the purple haze when freo were pushing us). or go back further to when he was on ch9 with spud and co,

i dont get the outrage, that is all, especially if you need some figure heads to tell you what you can already see.

I think the reason for a seperate thread, and the reason we get annoyed by these two is; if you read an article bagging Geelong in the newspaper, then you are reading that authors article. If you watch Carro give her opinion on footy classifieds, you are watching her show. If you are watching the footy, it's because you have tuned into watch YOUR team and as such don't want to hear flogs bagging your team. Unlike footy classifieds you can't turn it off if you don't like the opinion because then you miss the game. Thats why I think these two can have there own thread. Because we are subject to there bias if we want to watch the game.

Yeah. For television especially I think its best if the main game callers were impartial and objective in their reading of the game. I can definitely understand an ex player still being in love with his old side, but being employed by a T.V station rather than a football club to call the game should dictate that they throw their delivery of the call to the neutral observer, not those of one particular team or another.

They're bad.

Paul Roos is worse.

Wait till you play Sydney, in Sydney with Paul ******* Roos commentating.

He was reffering to every single Sydney player by there nickname.

He even STATED Myke Pyke should be the All Australian ruckmen last night. Turn it up Roosy. And I was sick to death of him saying ">insert player x< is the maaasssstterrr of >insert what they are good at here<" seriously Roosy get a grip and go and get a root or something. Sheer barracking from the commentary box from Paul Roos.

Pre game interview with James Hird he did not ask ONE question about Essendon, instead asking about Sydney and what he thought about "Goodsey" and about "Rooey". Who gives a flying ****. We want to know about the debutant Will Hams or how close Hurley was to playing, not about the f - ing Sydney Swans.

Sorry guys, rant over.

carry on/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back