Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That is not what Leigh was saying, he was saying we went from a full house at the G to a small ground and it didn’t look good.
The answer was they head yo Adelaide fir the showdown after a blockbuster at the G or Perth fir a western derby or Sydney for a derby. They just need to think about it a bit better.
Yep can't disagree with this.

The solution is as per what I have written, fixture better around the big blockbusters at the g.
If their is two games on Anzac Day then make the second one the Showdown,Western Derby, Sydney derby etc. this will retain the audience. And make both games on that day FTA national broadcast.
Just need a bit more thought to what games they play after an MCG blockbuster. Was never about removing the blockbuster, just add yo it and you have a double header blockbuster on Anzac Day.
Leigh was talking about the experience for the players. 100,000 lunatics from the big Melb clubs at the G . Vs what they'll get at a Sydney derby and stadium.

Leigh was talking about the experience for the players. 100,000 lunatics from the big Melb clubs at the G . Vs what they'll get at a Sydney derby and stadium.

I did not get that from him, he said it was a bad look going from the g to the small stadium. He did mention players not getting a chance to play in the big games but that’s not true as finals are the biggest games of all.
Anyway you heard one thing I heard another.

That is not what Leigh was saying, he was saying we went from a full house at the G to a small ground and it didn’t look good.
The answer was they head yo Adelaide fir the showdown after a blockbuster at the G or Perth fir a western derby or Sydney for a derby. They just need to think about it a bit better.
GWS and Brisbane get a yearly fixture and your solution is to take it off them and give it to the big Non vic clubs.

17k club members, about 7k gold AFL members, likely similar MCC members, GF teams also get some extras for internal use. Their fans probably snapped up thousands of the expensive $2k+ AFL packages too that are available to anyone. Also some seepage of corporate/sponsor type tickets. I would say 40-45k. Their fans are louder than the Eagles too. I wore a black top and was going for the Pies so you may have inadvertently counted me. Where I was sitting it was about every second person Pies and it was loud, but from a distance it likely looked 100% Pies.
Im interested why did you go for the pies vs The eagles?

I did not get that from him, he said it was a bad look going from the g to the small stadium. He did mention players not getting a chance to play in the big games but that’s not true as finals are the biggest games of all.
Nah mate, you heard what you want to hear.

The solution is as per what I have written, fixture better around the big blockbusters at the g.
If their is two games on Anzac Day then make the second one the Showdown,Western Derby, Sydney derby etc. this will retain the audience. And make both games on that day FTA national broadcast.
Just need a bit more thought to what games they play after an MCG blockbuster. Was never about removing the blockbuster, just add yo it and you have a double header blockbuster on Anzac Day.
This is the idea especially as you can have the game in the west earlier in the day locally and Optus stadium being full is pretty banger from a noise point of view. Collingwood v Essendon starting at a traditional time then head to a Derby or Showdown and watch the SA or WA teams beat the s**t out of each other is family fun viewing.

Everyone makes jokes about the ludicrous West Oz focus on Harley, but the level of Melb bias media parochialism is completely fatuous.

The Vicar of Whately refuses to mention Sydney by name.

This has been going on since he and Buckley did a preview of the Sydney v Pies game where both refused to mention who the Pies were playing.

I'm all ears!

So tell us all what the solution is and you'll get reminded why there isn't one.

Start by breaking down the stranglehold the MCC has ovet the AFL. Break the stupid contract locking the GF into the MCG and instead make it available to other cities. If there must be a minimum stadium size then make that available and give the other states the oppurtunity to invest in their infrastructure to get it. Personally I doubt that you actually require a 100k stadium to make the economics of a GF work (would love to see the data on the Perth GF a couple of years ago). I hate the fact that the elites at the MCC have so much influence over our game, it shouldn't be the case.

For as long as the whole 'MCG is the home of football' and 'you entered our competition so suck it up' narrative exists we will not have a truly national competition, and by extension there will be a VIC bias. The whole thing is a joke, the VFL was broke and in a downward spiral, it was the move to nationalise the competition that actually formed the foundations of what we have now. The pretense that the VFL was some kind of vibrant, financial, happy league that these interstate clubs came into is simply dogma.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only Sydney in 2012 and sadly West Coast in 2018 are the only non-Vic grand final winners in the last 17 years.

The grand final is contracted to play at the MCG except for 2020 and 2021.

Contracts can be broken and negotiated out of. This is a league that is structured and geared towards keeping Victorian teams successful and dominant. Gillon and his team that agreed to this BS contract can GAGF as far as I'm concerned.

Watch it again. He's talking from a player's perspective.

He starts it introducing that the opportuity for players isn't even due to the colloseum events that the Melbourne team players experience. He ends it saying that he thinks the opportunity for clubs is even due to the equalisation measures, but that it isn't even for the players.

Joel Selwood talked about it earlier in the year. Despite the Cats always arguing for home finals rather than MCG finals - he was glad the Cats didn't win the argument, because he wanted to play at the MCG - the romantic nostalgic colloseum - in front of 90,000 lunatics.

Only Sydney in 2012 and sadly West Coast in 2018 are the only non-Vic grand final winners in the last 17 years.

And yet in 2020 two Victorian teams made the Grand Final after being on the road for 100+ consecutive days. Well done Richmond and Geelong.

If you're good enough, you'll win anywhere.

Best to go back and look at all Grand Finals involving Victorian teams vs Non Victorian Teams. The results are as follows:

Grand Finals: Vic Teams vs Non Vic Teams at the MCG

Victorian Teams: 10
Non Victorian Teams: 9

Grand Finals: Vic Teams vs Non Vic Teams at all Grand Final Grounds

Victorian Teams: 11
Non Victorian Teams: 9

*1991 Grand Final was played at Waverley Park (Hawthorn vs West Coast)

MCG Tennants vs Non Victorian Teams in Grand Finals at the MCG

MCG Tennats: 6
Non Victorian Teams: 4

MCG Tennants: Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn & Melbourne

What does this data tell us? Well for all of the "Vic Bias" talk (has been for years)...the results are not lopsided in favour of Victorian teams when it comes to Grand Final results. I mean yes....sure there is HGA (Home Ground Advantage) but is the HGA to such an extent that it favours the Victorian teams in a strong manner. Answer = NO. Why?......see above....the data tells us clearly that it's not lopsided results wise towards Victorian teams in Grand Finals. If a team is good enough, then they'll win anywhere.

After Tassie bring in an NT team and play everyone once. No double ups. That's as fair as it can be.

Right now playing WCE North or Hawthorn twice is the biggest rort in the fixture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back