Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you considered that perhaps the evenness suggests that these things aren't the massive disadvantage that some carry on about.
I don't think they're massive but they are there and they're real

That's what this whole discussion is about, these disadvantages are, from a non vics perspective, are anywhere from acceptance of the reasons for, to a deliberate conspiracy, to just hatred of vic clubs.

Did you notice that the two best teams from last year who had the shortest preseasons anyway had to start the season a week earlier than most teams in order to promote footy outside of Victoria - and those two teams were really s**t at the start of the year. Looks like it's derailed one of those teams seasons - could have easily been both.
This happens every year though, it's not a deliberate ploy from HQ to disadvantage the GF teams.

This happens every year though, it's not a deliberate ploy from HQ to disadvantage the GF teams.
I know it's not, but this year was the first year where the AFL decided to shorten the preseason of the teams with the shortest preseasons having already shortened it by moving to a 23 game season.

Absolutely nothing stopping teams that have been around 100 years continuing and returning to a state league if they want, just like your Fitzroy example. They just have no place as standalone teams in a national competition.
Last reply to you, to see if I can educate a salty vengeful fan.

Yes there is, the clubs members would have to vote on it, they'd never vote in favour. If by some highly improbable chance the members did vote for it, then the rest of the clubs would also have to have a majority vote for a dissolution to get up.

Never. Gonna. Happen.
If two or more of them want to merge and stay in the national comp but achieve the goal of reducing Vicbias, bring it on.

See, several options that don't involve scorched earthing them.
You can't merge clubs and expect the fans to stay on, how you think the fan bases would just accept this is incredibly naive.
You don't want a national comp at all - how about you stop following it then?
Because my club is in it. I said I'd rather a state conference, that doesn't equal I won't follow my club.

If you detest this league so much why don't vote with your feet and remote and follow your wafl club?

My club was in this league first so nup, not gonna.
Most of us nonVics want it, and want it fairer.
The comp isn't about fair, you should know this already.

If you don't like it, leave then.

Lastly 'VICbias' implies that it's all a deliberate conspiracy, yet people still think this way, even more mind boggling is that the people who sprout this bullsh*t STILL follow this league, when they've got their own original clubs. So like you they wanna cull / merge clubs for their own benefit.

No, phuq off with your club deathriding hatred.

We're done here.

I know it's not, but this year was the first year where the AFL decided to shorten the preseason of the teams with the shortest preseasons having already shortened it by moving to a 23 game season.
A couple of less weeks for preparation, I don't know how much impact that did have. None the less an extra round and the extra $, HQ are going to favour that over the whatever disadvantage those two teams got.

Fact of life SR.

I have a genuine question as to why teams complain about a #VICBIAS , but before you answer why you think there is one, please read these facts before you do:

All these facts were before each club CHOSE to enter the competition, not changed after-

• The GF has been locked in at the G for years, that was the case before any club entered from outside Vic, and let's be honest, as the home of footy, was never likely to be changed either
  • In fact, at the time of entering the comp, at least 1 Prelim was meant to be guaranteed at the G also, that has actually moved back to teams earning the right to host
  • When choosing to enter the comp, there was already 10 teams in Melb... THIS IS NOT NEW. Non-Vic teams where always going to have to travel every second week while Vic teams play away games still in VIC. Where do you expect Vic teams to play away games against other Vic teams... no seriously, where?
  • People whinge it's still the old VFL... It is, the AFL is not a newly formed comp, it is a rebranded/renamed version of the existing comp non Vic teams again CHOSE to join

On the flip side, things that are now (or at one time have been) in place that weren't in place before No Vic teams joined the comp:

• National draft, gone are the days every kid in a zone was linked to that club. By weight of numbers alone, Vic produces the most talent at U18 levels, and that is now open and available to ALL teams to select talent in the draft
  • Academy Zones, traditionally for non Vic states, even though now each club has its own zone.
  • Salary Cap relief/Cola, again for periods of time, Non Vic teams at one time or another have been given advantages not afforded to Vic Teams

Now I'm a West Australian, and if there was a proper SOO match tomorrow, I would be in the Sandgropers corner in a heart beat, so this is not coming from your "typical Victorian"...
And I certainly appreciate and respect the fact that Non-Vic teams have to travel a hell of a lot more than Vic teams...

So the question, honestly is this, if each Non-Vic club knew all of these FACTS before they CHOSE to enter the competition, why is there all a sudden a cry of #VICBIAS

If it was soooo bad, why did your clubs still want to enter the competition?
ive been saying these facts to complainers for years

Last reply to you, to see if I can educate a salty vengeful fan.

Yes there is, the clubs members would have to vote on it, they'd never vote in favour. If by some highly improbable chance the members did vote for it, then the rest of the clubs would also have to have a majority vote for a dissolution to get up.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

You can't merge clubs and expect the fans to stay on, how you think the fan bases would just accept this is incredibly naive.

Because my club is in it. I said I'd rather a state conference, that doesn't equal I won't follow my club.

If you detest this league so much why don't vote with your feet and remote and follow your wafl club?

My club was in this league first so nup, not gonna.

The comp isn't about fair, you should know this already.

If you don't like it, leave then.

Lastly 'VICbias' implies that it's all a deliberate conspiracy, yet people still think this way, even more mind boggling is that the people who sprout this bullsh*t STILL follow this league, when they've got their own original clubs. So like you they wanna cull / merge clubs for their own benefit.

No, phuq off with your club deathriding hatred.

We're done here.
We're done here because you say so? I don't think that's how it works sunshine. I'll keep posting here and replying to you when I choose, hopefully with a more reasonable tone than you seem to be able to muster when someone disagrees with you and points out the multiple factual errors and inconsistencies in your arguments. Or you can keep spitting them dummies, you seem at home there.

A couple of less weeks for preparation, I don't know how much impact that did have. None the less an extra round and the extra $, HQ are going to favour that over the whatever disadvantage those two teams got.

Fact of life SR.
I know. I'm just pointing out that there are advantages and disadvatnages in every clubs draw. There's travel, but then there's having a distinct home ground fortress. There's blah blah blah blah. Meanwhile the ladder according to state currently goes:

NSW
Vic
Vic
Vic
NSW
SA
Vic
Vic
WA
QLd
Vic
SA

And as usual, a couple of Vic teams at the very bottom.

I have my strong suspicions that clubs have ways around salary caps. I heard somewhere for instance years ago Geelong managed to find their players "cheap" property to buy. I don't know if this is true or not, but it would be an easy way around the cap if the AFL was not looking too hard, and it is easier for clubs in Victoria to do shady salary cap dealings.

I still remember how Travis Cloke somehow ended up on The Footy Show, as even for the Footy Show he was dumb. Only happened because Collingwood got him that gig to pad out his contract outside of the cap.

Yes this happens. But happens at non vic clubs as well. The three examples I know of are all vic clubs and involve media/sponsorship deals, discounted asset transfers and a partner of a player being given a job on more than 2x previous salary. All of these things done explicitly to pad out a contract off books. So you can only imagine what goes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL needs to simplify the comp to keep it strong. I'd merge each of the interstate teams to consolidate interest in non-traditional areas such as QLD, NSW, SA, WA.

E.g. Port Adelaide Crows, Brisbane Suns, Fremantle Eagles

Yes this happens. But happens at non vic clubs as well. The three examples I know of are all vic clubs and involve media/sponsorship deals, discounted asset transfers and a partner of a player being given a job on more than 2x previous salary. All of these things done explicitly to pad out a contract off books. So you can only imagine what goes on.
West Coast were notorious.

I have my strong suspicions that clubs have ways around salary caps. I heard somewhere for instance years ago Geelong managed to find their players "cheap" property to buy. I don't know if this is true or not, but it would be an easy way around the cap if the AFL was not looking too hard, and it is easier for clubs in Victoria to do shady salary cap dealings.

I still remember how Travis Cloke somehow ended up on The Footy Show, as even for the Footy Show he was dumb. Only happened because Collingwood got him that gig to pad out his contract outside of the cap.
Why is it easier for Vic clubs to do shady deals?

LOL LOL. Adelaide is the most soulless, boring city ever. Even driving in from the airport feelslike a hecking morgue.

Adelaide is good for families and pensioners and people waiting to die.

Melbourne shits on Deadlaide. Oh that's if you like getting out and doing things any night of the week. Got everything.
The best place in Adelaide is the departure gates at the airport.

Do they let you shop when it gets dark yet or only on Thursday nights?

Imagine being a young single man and being stuck in the retirement village. What a waste of your best years. Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne and you get Adelaide....lol

What an absolute crock of shit. I have lived in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, and Adelaide and I love Adelaide. It's got more than enough soul and culture to enjoy life, has the most festivals of any city in Australia, has an amazing food scene with many superb resteraunts, has great beaches, and access to some of the most amazing coastline and scenery in Australia within a days drive.

And the kicker is you get all of this with property prices where the averag aussie can still afford to buy a house, clean air, and a lack of soul crushing traffic jams.

Bagging out Adelaide is so dull, predictable and wrong. It's easily one of the best places in Australia to live, and vastly prefferable to Sydney.

Why is it easier for Vic clubs to do shady deals?

It’s only easier for the vic clubs in terms of media deals which are somewhat limited anyway.

The disparity is largely between rich and poor clubs rather than vic bias, eg certain big vic clubs have many more avenues to do this than the small vic clubs.

It’s only easier for the vic clubs in terms of media deals which are somewhat limited anyway.

The disparity is largely between rich and poor clubs rather than vic bias, eg certain big vic clubs have many more avenues to do this than the small vic clubs.
That's what I would have thought too. But I'd throw in Cats, Eagles and Adelaide as representing football nut communities with strong business ties.

NSW and QLD based clubs don't have things like media deals for players to pad out contracts. There is not the market for it.
WCE and Adelaide are in the strongest positions to pull dodgy stuff. Northern clubs are in the best position to hide dodgy deals.

Last edited:
LOL LOL. Adelaide is the most soulless, boring city ever. Even driving in from the airport feelslike a hecking morgue.

Adelaide is good for families and pensioners and people waiting to die.

Melbourne shits on Deadlaide. Oh that's if you like getting out and doing things any night of the week. Got everything.
The best place in Adelaide is the departure gates at the airport.

Do they let you shop when it gets dark yet or only on Thursday nights?

Imagine being a young single man and being stuck in the retirement village. What a waste of your best years. Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne and you get Adelaide....lol

Agreed, Melbourne is far more interesting and better than Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back