Player Watch Trent Bianco (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

My nephew played with him at Marcellin along with Tyler.

He said he is a mad Pies supporter.

I didn’t even ask him if he rated him because Trent is living all our dreams now........it’s his choice to make it reality.
Is he? o_O

didnt know that :p

I can see this is going to be a Pendlebury basketball thing. :eek:

Jesus Christ, why do you always sound like you’ve just eaten a turd sand which??
Probably because turds like yourself don’t actually pay attention to the point I’m posting and go off on tangents like the one below.
In the AA team this year there were only 7 players selected in the first round. The highest pick in the backline outside of Shannon Hurn was pick 42 (Houli).

In terms of player ratings, the following stand out as elite players taken later in the draft:

Neale
Hunter
Sloane
Ross
Zorko
Merret
Kelly
Houli
Crouch
Kennedy
Gawn
McGovern
Darling
Walters
Stewart
Grimes
Andrews
Cameron
Yeo
Fantastic. You’ve listed a bunch of players who are a tier below the ones being used as examples, in Mitchell, Swan, Hird etc. Maybe one of them in Neale might eventually reach those heights. Those are guys who are all time greats and we have people here likening Bianco to them before he even managed a game in the twos. If people like yourself didn’t miss the point and selectively read posts all the time they’d know that I’ve repeatedly said that very good players can still be had late, but these days it’s an extremely rare occurrence for an insane Brownlow polling superstar to be selected at that point.
How about we stop throwing those kinds of names out as comparisons and see how the kid actually performs first? Is it really that ******* hard?

15 pages and he has been compared to about 50 players so far.
He’s the whole list, rolled into one.

almost Tom Wilson like.

almost! :p

How about we stop throwing those kinds of names out as comparisons and see how the kid actually performs first? Is it really that ******* hard?

I think that is what people throwing those names around are actually arguing.

Let’s not write him off because of his size or draft pick before he has even had a fair go. Nobody was claiming Trent will be the next legend, just there are plenty of smaller players and late draft picks who go on to have very good careers, a few even have exceptional careers.

nope... average height of an AFL player is 6'2"... so he is 4 inches below this, and hence... undersized. Josh Daicos is the same height, and is classy, but isnt a regular 22 player because he is exposed for height & pace. Would dare say its for these reasons we also took Rantall first. But doesn't mean he can't make it. Would love to have the next Sam Mitchell on our list... but more likeable
As you have swallowed the cool aid peddled by the media I will simply let it pass.

We disagree but you have no idea why.

Agree to disagree and let it pass.

As you have swallowed the cool aid peddled by the media I will simply let it pass.

We disagree but you have no idea why.

Agree to disagree and let it pass.
Haven’t listened to any media on this. Have purely watched the tapes and read his measurements & combine results. Would love it if he can become our Sidey replacement, but after looking up the records of who has made it from the similar types to him, the list is very thin. Think he has to be a midfield option to make it, and really build his tank or develop some high level contested skills, as any type of lock down defender will be a stretch.

Last edited:
Probably because turds like yourself don’t actually pay attention to the point I’m posting and go off on tangents like the one below.

Fantastic. You’ve listed a bunch of players who are a tier below the ones being used as examples, in Mitchell, Swan, Hird etc. Maybe one of them in Neale might eventually reach those heights. Those are guys who are all time greats and we have people here likening Bianco to them before he even managed a game in the twos. If people like yourself didn’t miss the point and selectively read posts all the time they’d know that I’ve repeatedly said that very good players can still be had late, but these days it’s an extremely rare occurrence for an insane Brownlow polling superstar to be selected at that point.
I'm sorry, did I miss the part where someone made a direct comparison to Bianco being Sam Mitchell? So far as I can tell, the quote was:

"Dave there was a guy at hawthorn called Sam Mitchell that was also not very tall and also slipped a lot further in his draft year then he should've. If bianco has half the career he did we're the winners here."

So far as I can tell, that statement seems to fully acknowledge that Bianco is nowhere near the equal of Sam Mitchell either in terms of output (obviously), nor potential. In fact, it seems to acknowledge that if he has even a fraction of the career of Sam Mitchell, that would be a very good thing for Collingwood.

Where I believe the Sam Mitchell comparison came from was in a stylistic sense. When you read most draft profiles, the player comparisons tend not to be a direct comparison on output, but on style of play. One of my favourites which popped up again recently was Knightmares' comparison of De Goey in his draft year to Colin Sylvia. Whilst obviously De Goey's career already stands head and shoulders above that of Sylvia's, I'm sure even you can see how the comparison still isn't necessarily a bad one in terms of style of play. From what I have read about Bianco, the two players that immediately spring to mind in terms of comparable are Caleb Daniel (whom some have compared Bianco to) and Sam Mitchell. From this point of view, I don't necessarily believe that either of these are bad comparisons.

I was also curious about your notion that "it's an extremely rare occurrence for an insane Brownlow polling superstar to be selected at that point". I ran the numbers on the players who are currently still playing and ranked in the top 500 in terms of Brownlow votes. Whilst it is MORE LIKELY that a player selected in the first round will receive more Brownlow votes, it's certainly not RARE. 25% of the top 20 were selected outside of the first 2 rounds, and 28.6% of the top 70 players were selected in rounds 3+. You're also more likely to poll well in the Brownlow if you're selected in rounds 3+ than in round 2.

The numbers are here:

#PlayerPickRoundRound Count
1​
Gary Ablett403+
20​
6​
Patrick Dangerfield101
39​
8​
Joel Selwood71
39​
9​
Scott Pendlebury51
39​
16​
Dustin Martin31
39​
18​
Nat Fyfe202
10​
20​
Lance Franklin51
39​
45​
Josh Kennedy403+
20​
46​
Trent Cotchin21
39​
48​
Luke Hodge11
39​
69​
Travis Boak51
39​
79​
Marc Murphy11
39​
91​
Dan Hannebery302
10​
102​
Rory Sloane443+
20​
118​
Luke Parker403+
20​
123​
David Mundy192
10​
124​
Andrew Gaff41
39​
127​
Robbie Gray553+
20​
129​
Dayne Beams292
10​
130​
Lachie Neale583+
20​
133​
Steele Sidebottom111
39​
134​
Bryce Gibbs11
39​
138​
Aaron SandilandsRookie3+
20​
139​
Marcus Bontempelli41
39​
149​
Luke Shuey202
10​
150​
Callan Ward192
10​
153​
Shaun Burgoyne121
39​
161​
Nathan Jones111
39​
173​
Brett Deledio11
39​
176​
Tom RockliffPre-Season3+
20​
186​
Josh Kennedy403+
20​
188​
Patrick Cripps131
39​
197​
Jack Steven423+
20​
200​
Daniel Wells21
39​
210​
Dyson Heppell81
39​
214​
Jordan Lewis71
39​
215​
Adam TreloarUnderage1
39​
231​
Shaun Higgins111
39​
234​
Kade Simpson453+
20​
237​
Jack Macrae61
39​
238​
Dayne Zorko343+
20​
248​
Todd Goldstein373+
20​
262​
Zach Merrett262
10​
263​
Ollie Wines71
39​
265​
Kieren Jack583+
20​
267​
Max Gawn343+
20​
284​
Jarryd Roughead21
39​
305​
Brad Ebert131
39​
307​
Stephen Coniglio21
39​
315​
Jarrad McVeigh51
39​
328​
Mitch Duncan282
10​
331​
Ben Cunnington51
39​
356​
Jack Riewoldt131
39​
364​
Dylan ShielUnderage1
39​
369​
Jack Ziebell71
39​
375​
Brodie Grundy181
39​
388​
Josh Kelly21
39​
408​
Jeremy CameronUnderage1
39​
420​
Taylor Walker753+
20​
431​
Elliot Yeo302
10​
443​
Rory LairdRookie3+
20​
451​
Sebastian Ross252
10​
463​
David Zaharakis111
39​
468​
Eddie BettsPre-Season3+
20​
472​
Michael Walters533+
20​
478​
Tom Hawkins413+
20​
481​
Clayton Oliver41
39​
487​
David Armitage91
39​
494​
Harry Taylor171
39​

Footy fans and recent draftees are a recipe for unhinged levels of nuffie.

Often can understand fan IQ based off comments on draftees.

NeXt PeNdlEbuRy.

Anyone who bases their assessment of a players career purely on Brownlow medals is in need of some common sense I feel.

Just some examples . . .

Robert Flower - A hall of famer for Melbourne - never got closer than 3rd

Our own Swannie - came second in the charlie the year the pundits all agreed he should have won it and won it the year the same pundits agreed he should have finished runner up.

Also back men are NEVER in the running in modern day football

Ditto forward pockets and utility players.

The charlie is all about umpires impressions about a game which means it is overwhelmingly a midfield / followers medal - and flashy ones at that.

Anyone who bases their assessment of a players career purely on Brownlow medals is in need of some common sense I feel.

Just some examples . . .

Our own Swannie - came second in the charlie the year the pundits all agreed he should have won it and won it the year the same pundits agreed he should have finished runner up.

The charlie is all about umpires impressions about a game which means it is overwhelmingly a midfield / followers medal - and flashy ones at that.
James Clement is in my top 5 Collingwood players of all-time, and yet received 13 Brownlow votes in his time @ the Pies.

Shows you the futility of the award.

Just some examples . . .

Agree with the opening line.

In terms of it being a midfielders medal, now that the game has changed and KPFs aren't as dominant as they once were - the best most dominant players in the league all play in the midfield - they should be winning the awards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry, did I miss the part where someone made a direct comparison to Bianco being Sam Mitchell? So far as I can tell, the quote was:

"Dave there was a guy at hawthorn called Sam Mitchell that was also not very tall and also slipped a lot further in his draft year then he should've. If bianco has half the career he did we're the winners here."

So far as I can tell, that statement seems to fully acknowledge that Bianco is nowhere near the equal of Sam Mitchell either in terms of output (obviously), nor potential. In fact, it seems to acknowledge that if he has even a fraction of the career of Sam Mitchell, that would be a very good thing for Collingwood.

Where I believe the Sam Mitchell comparison came from was in a stylistic sense. When you read most draft profiles, the player comparisons tend not to be a direct comparison on output, but on style of play. One of my favourites which popped up again recently was Knightmares' comparison of De Goey in his draft year to Colin Sylvia. Whilst obviously De Goey's career already stands head and shoulders above that of Sylvia's, I'm sure even you can see how the comparison still isn't necessarily a bad one in terms of style of play. From what I have read about Bianco, the two players that immediately spring to mind in terms of comparable are Caleb Daniel (whom some have compared Bianco to) and Sam Mitchell. From this point of view, I don't necessarily believe that either of these are bad comparisons.

I was also curious about your notion that "it's an extremely rare occurrence for an insane Brownlow polling superstar to be selected at that point". I ran the numbers on the players who are currently still playing and ranked in the top 500 in terms of Brownlow votes. Whilst it is MORE LIKELY that a player selected in the first round will receive more Brownlow votes, it's certainly not RARE. 25% of the top 20 were selected outside of the first 2 rounds, and 28.6% of the top 70 players were selected in rounds 3+. You're also more likely to poll well in the Brownlow if you're selected in rounds 3+ than in round 2.

The numbers are here:

#PlayerPickRoundRound Count
1​
Gary Ablett403+
20​
6​
Patrick Dangerfield101
39​
8​
Joel Selwood71
39​
9​
Scott Pendlebury51
39​
16​
Dustin Martin31
39​
18​
Nat Fyfe202
10​
20​
Lance Franklin51
39​
45​
Josh Kennedy403+
20​
46​
Trent Cotchin21
39​
48​
Luke Hodge11
39​
69​
Travis Boak51
39​
79​
Marc Murphy11
39​
91​
Dan Hannebery302
10​
102​
Rory Sloane443+
20​
118​
Luke Parker403+
20​
123​
David Mundy192
10​
124​
Andrew Gaff41
39​
127​
Robbie Gray553+
20​
129​
Dayne Beams292
10​
130​
Lachie Neale583+
20​
133​
Steele Sidebottom111
39​
134​
Bryce Gibbs11
39​
138​
Aaron SandilandsRookie3+
20​
139​
Marcus Bontempelli41
39​
149​
Luke Shuey202
10​
150​
Callan Ward192
10​
153​
Shaun Burgoyne121
39​
161​
Nathan Jones111
39​
173​
Brett Deledio11
39​
176​
Tom RockliffPre-Season3+
20​
186​
Josh Kennedy403+
20​
188​
Patrick Cripps131
39​
197​
Jack Steven423+
20​
200​
Daniel Wells21
39​
210​
Dyson Heppell81
39​
214​
Jordan Lewis71
39​
215​
Adam TreloarUnderage1
39​
231​
Shaun Higgins111
39​
234​
Kade Simpson453+
20​
237​
Jack Macrae61
39​
238​
Dayne Zorko343+
20​
248​
Todd Goldstein373+
20​
262​
Zach Merrett262
10​
263​
Ollie Wines71
39​
265​
Kieren Jack583+
20​
267​
Max Gawn343+
20​
284​
Jarryd Roughead21
39​
305​
Brad Ebert131
39​
307​
Stephen Coniglio21
39​
315​
Jarrad McVeigh51
39​
328​
Mitch Duncan282
10​
331​
Ben Cunnington51
39​
356​
Jack Riewoldt131
39​
364​
Dylan ShielUnderage1
39​
369​
Jack Ziebell71
39​
375​
Brodie Grundy181
39​
388​
Josh Kelly21
39​
408​
Jeremy CameronUnderage1
39​
420​
Taylor Walker753+
20​
431​
Elliot Yeo302
10​
443​
Rory LairdRookie3+
20​
451​
Sebastian Ross252
10​
463​
David Zaharakis111
39​
468​
Eddie BettsPre-Season3+
20​
472​
Michael Walters533+
20​
478​
Tom Hawkins413+
20​
481​
Clayton Oliver41
39​
487​
David Armitage91
39​
494​
Harry Taylor171
39​

Just of the top of My Head, Josh kennedy, Hawkins, Ablett were father son, Walker a NSW scheme selection so not really taken in an open draft at that position. That's 2 of the 5 making the 25% of the top 20, drops to 15%.

James Clement is in my top 5 Collingwood players of all-time, and yet received 13 Brownlow votes in his time @ the Pies.

Shows you the futility of the award.

Or maybe says more about your selections. Would be a shoo-in for the best 22 of the modern era but unlikely to even be among the top 5 of that team let alone all time. Just off the top of my head, Buckley (TotC), Daicos (TotC), Swan, Pendles, Brown (TotC), Wright, Millane (TotC), Burns, McGuane, Shaw (TotC) and Russell would arguably all rank higher just from the modern era best 22. It is subjective though.

Last edited:
Or maybe says more about your selections. Would be a shoo-in for the best 22 of the modern era but unlikely to even be among the top 5 of that team let alone all time. Just off the top of my head, Buckley (TotC), Daicos (TotC), Swan, Pendles, Brown (TotC), Wright, Millane (TotC), Burns, McGuane, Shaw (TotC) and Russell would arguably all rank higher just from the modern era best 22. It is subjective though.
Reckon you don't understand football if you have the bolded in-front of Clement.

You've also essentially named all midfielders, which goes back to the original discussion about the Brownlow being a midfielders award. So i rest my case.

Reckon you don't understand football if you have the bolded in-front of Clement.

You've also essentially named all midfielders, which goes back to the original discussion about the Brownlow being a midfielders award. So i rest my case.

Brown and Millane?
Under your theory most players and coaches don't understand footy either. Whenever a good flanker hits the league, the whole football community wants them to become a midfielder, because mids are involved in more contests and it's thus believed they have a bigger influence on the game. Generally speaking, the best players who have the most impact play in the midfield, thus they rightfully win the awards.

I do agree that Clement was bloody wonderful.

Brown and Millane?
Under your theory most players and coaches don't understand footy either. Whenever a good flanker hits the league, the whole football community wants them to become a midfielder, because mids are involved in more contests and it's thus believed they have a bigger influence on the game. Generally speaking, the best players who have the most impact play in the midfield, thus they rightfully win the awards.

I do agree that Clement was bloody wonderful.
Bianco thread being hijacked, sorry young man.

We can pick this up somewhere else.

LOL... Brown and Millane made the Collingwood team of the century so it's just not my understanding of the game that you're questioning.

Where they played is irrelevant to how good they were.

But you've essentially conceded my point anyway by not disputing that Buckley, Pendles, Daicos, Swan and Shaw are better, and that's without even looking at the stars of yesteryear like Bobby Rose, Jack Regan, Gordon & Syd Coventry et al.

If there's a case to be rested, I think it's mine.

LOL... Brown and Millane made the Collingwood team of the century so it's just not my understanding of the game that you're questioning.

But you've essentially conceded my point anyway by not disputing that Buckley, Pendles, Daicos, Swan and Shaw are better, and that's without even looking at the stars of yesteryear like Bobby Rose, Jack Regan, Gordon & Syd Coventry et al.

If you read my post, I said in my top 5 - not yours.

I'm not going to argue semantics around the likes of Tony Shaw/James Clement, when you're comparing players of such different traits (but undeniable quality). I'd have Clement in front of him as a player, but theres essentially no right or wrong.

As for comparing players in an era where the league was 6 teams, and these guys kicked the pill around on the weekend for fun - I don't think theres a case to be made.

Shaw is more of a club legend than Clement , but he wasn't a better player than him.

It's unlikely, but hopefully Biancos name belongs in this conversation one day.

I think Peter Moore is a noticeable absentee from that list but he did win his second Brownlow at Melbourne.

The real point of my post is that I don't believe Bianco will be as tall as Peter Moore.

If you read my post, I said in my top 5 - not yours.

I'm not going to argue semantics around the likes of Tony Shaw/James Clement, when you're comparing players of such different traits (but undeniable quality). I'd have Clement in front of him as a player, but theres essentially no right or wrong.

As for comparing players in an era where the league was 6 teams, and these guys kicked the pill around on the weekend for fun - I don't think theres a case to be made.

And if you read my post, I wasn't challenging that he was in your top 5, I was querying your selection process. I even acknowledged that it is subjective. You respond by questioning my understanding of the game and resting cases.

He was certainly more athletic and skillful than Shaw but I'm not sure that makes him a better footballer, football isn't always about looking good.

Gordon Coventry kicked just under 1300 goals in over 300 games (average 4.25/game - 7th highest all-time) for Collingwood and another 100 odd representing the state. Only 1 player has ever surpassed that.

Jack Regan was arguably duded for the full back position in the AFL team of the century so not just a Collingwood legend.

Many that saw him play (my father included) still claim Bob Rose is the best footballer they've seen represent the Collingwood football club. Runner up in a Charlie and 4x B&F winner and he left the club at 27yo in his prime. Rose was before my time but for me John Greening remains the best player I've seen play for Collingwood.

Others like Leeter Collier won a brownlow and was a 3 time B&F six time premiership winning CHB.

You can't just dismiss their quality or achievements.

I understand what you're saying about Clement and I'd certainly elevate him ahead of Picken (and I loved "here come's Billy) if you were re-selecting the team of the century looking back from today, but neither of them merit the KPD roles they're associated with so that doesn't even make them best by position. I'm just questioning how anyone can have him top 5 "all time".

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back