Toast Welcome to Fremantle Neil Erasmus (pick 10 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think someone else mentioned it in here before but I'll do it again.

I'm yet to see that moment from Erasmus that makes me go "f*ck, he's gonna be a gun one day". Basically all our young players have had a moment or a game that made me think that at some point but not Erasmus.

Don't wanna say he's a bust just yet since it's so early but it is concerning.

I'm yet to see that moment from Erasmus that makes me go "f*ck, he's gonna be a gun one day". Basically all our young players have had a moment or a game that made me think that at some point but not Erasmus.

Yet to see that moment because he’s always sub or playing at peel once he gets a few games on the trot we may see something

Yet to see that moment because he’s always sub or playing at peel once he gets a few games on the trot we may see something
Plenty of our players can play dual roles, Erasmus can rotate forward/mid but never
gets the chance.
Instead we keep the small forwards in the team, yet only Walters is finding the goals. Switta, Freddy have needed a spell at Peel.
Erasmus as the sub isn’t helping next year.
We still don’t have a medium forward, and it looks like we don’t have a clue?
Most new draftees start on the flanks and then introduced to the midfield.

Plenty of our players can play dual roles, Erasmus can rotate forward/mid but never
gets the chance.
Instead we keep the small forwards in the team, yet only Walters is finding the goals. Switta, Freddy have needed a spell at Peel.
Erasmus as the sub isn’t helping next year.
We still don’t have a medium forward, and it looks like we don’t have a clue?
Most new draftees start on the flanks and then introduced to the midfield.
I totally agree with you, the problem is JL has no idea what he’s doing he’s trying to beat a dead horse atm

Corbett?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Corbett is no good. He plays more like a 197cm KPF yet is only around 189/190cm. Also zero pressure when the ball hits the ground. One trick pony - lead and mark. His goal kicking is average as well. The trade (F4) was about right for him.

Sturt and Banfield well ahead of him.

PSA: Neil Erasmus is 19 and a half years old and has played twelve (12) senior games.

Throws it on the boot a fair bit without looking. Still not seeing anything suggesting he's going to be anything beyond a DeBoer level foot soldier.
Geez that moment in the first quarter when he was ten meters in the clear coming out of centre clearance and just panic bombed it, I had my head in my hands just going my god, that's so bad, he had no awareness of how in the open he was, could literally have run 20m and kicked deep into 50. Instead it's a shallow entry that immediately rebounded all the way to the Carlton forward end.

That's definitely on the review this morning.

We don't need him to be a 'gun' we need him to play his role really well. Many wouldn't say a player like Duncan is a gun (even though he probably is), just an example of a fantastic role player. He has courage, work ethic, and size, he's a bigger, faster, and much fitter Will Brodie.

If Ras extracts the ball and hands it to Serong and Johnson for his whole career, and lays 10 tackles along the way, then that's all we need. What if he becomes similar to Dunkley? At the moment his decision making/composure is what's really letting him down.

Way too early to even begin to narrow the range of what he could be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't need him to be a 'gun' we need him to play his role really well. Many wouldn't say a player like Duncan is a gun (even though he probably is), just an example of a fantastic role player. He has courage, work ethic, and size, he's a bigger, faster, and much fitter Will Brodie.

If Ras extracts the ball and hands it to Serong and Johnson for his whole career, then that's all we need. At the moment his decision making/composure is what's really letting him down.

Way too early to even begin to narrow the range of what he could be.
You're right, don't necessarily need him to be a gun. But as a top 10 pick it would be nice to see something to justify the pick.

Geez that moment in the first quarter when he was ten meters in the clear coming out of centre clearance and just panic bombed it, I had my head in my hands just going my god, that's so bad, he had no awareness of how in the open he was, could literally have run 20m and kicked deep into 50. Instead it's a shallow entry that immediately rebounded all the way to the Carlton forward end.

That's definitely on the review this morning.

Yeah that’s the one I was thinking of. Chook without a head Dan Pearce level.

Takes different players different amounts of time to get to the level, Henry wasn’t much better in his first few.

But it’s not reminiscent of watching first year skinny Fyfe or Hill is it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My concern is, he has not standout attributes.

He's not necessarily clean with ball in hand, his kicking isn't a feature and he seems to panic in traffic.

Hope he proves me wrong, but looking more and more like a soldier who remains in the 30-40th player picked, in a good side that is.

Erasmus will have a better time in traffic when he carries the bulk to shrug off the short people trying to bring him down.
seems everyones asking a lot of a skinny midfielder up against some genuine AFL experienced mids, didnt colour himself in glory yesterday but ffs give the kid a chance

My concern is, he has not standout attributes.

He's not necessarily clean with ball in hand, his kicking isn't a feature and he seems to panic in traffic.

Hope he proves me wrong, but looking more and more like a soldier who remains in the 30-40th player picked, in a good side that is.
wdym looking 'more and more' like hes not only played a dozen games and half of them off the bench?

It is a little concerning though, 12-ish games, no standout games or any real standout moments.
not concerend at all, as mentioned hes 19 still. the thing with him as reported is his mindset and work ethic, hell get there hes got the physical build as well.

tough team for a kid to come into at the moment, im sure hes used to pushing campaigners around at the lower level, the pressure and intensity is at another level in the AFL, give him a few games to get up to speed

It is a little concerning though, 12-ish games, no standout games or any real standout moments.
I agree, and the reason we’re having this discussion is purely because he’s a top 10 pick. No one is writing him off yet, but with a top 10 pick you hope to see a trait that made him get picked 11 picks before Johnson for example. At this very early stage of his career I would put him on par with the likes of Wilmot and Lohmann but they have the luxury of playing in a very good side and therefore have less heavy lifting to do and fewer expectations. Two other players taken after Erasmus are Sheldrick and Wanganeen-Milera, in my view these 2 have shown some excellent traits that would make them worthy of a top 10 selection. I’d like Erasmus to show us something like these 2 have done. The simple fact that some posters have identified is that at this point in time he hasn’t and I suspect the reason why he sits on the bench so much or plays at Peel so often is that the coaches haven’t seen it yet either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back