Toast Welcome To Freo Cooper Simpson (pick 35 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect Serong's clearance numbers will go up even more if he need only get the ball out to a zippy team mate running by as opposed to needing to generate some space with his own run.
I'm sure we all agree that better spread would help us take advantage of our clearance dominance. As a big Ross-stan the major thing that annoyed me all those years was our spread was ordinary. You're right in what you said above about Simpson we need the ball passing through his hands forward of half back as good things will happen.

I'm sure we all agree that better spread would help us take advantage of our clearance dominance. As a big Ross-stan the major thing that annoyed me all those years was our spread was ordinary. You're right in what you said above about Simpson we need the ball passing through his hands forward of half back as good things will happen.

Far be it from me to over-rate one of our own, and with him being the 4th youngest player in the squad, but Simpson could be anything.

Clean hands and speed is rare, not just speed either, zippy speed. He's like a Switkowski clone with cleaner hands.

Tidy use is great but we will get a better idea of that as the exposure comes.

I want him to play for Freo but if he is back in the WAFL I want him playing at the stoppages looking for the handball.

Force opposition teams to react to him, along with a dominant ruck, means we can dictate most of the stoppage and can run set plays.

Far be it from me to over-rate one of our own, and with him being the 4th youngest player in the squad, but Simpson could be anything.

Clean hands and speed is rare, not just speed either, zippy speed. He's like a Switkowski clone with cleaner hands.
It was a left handed handball to Brayshaw after the sidestep even though I presume he is right handed.

It was a left handed handball to Brayshaw after the sidestep even though I presume he is right handed.

I'm of the opinion that clean hands isn't something you get better at, you don't really get much better with your kicking either but might make smarter choices with what you have, but he's clearly got it.

He's also on the small side for a modern inside mid. Even with both of those crosses I'm surprised he got to 35. Should have been an early second at the latest (and we now know top 10, all aboard the hype train).
He basically was an early second. Second round started at 30. As I said in another thread, a big part of his apparent slide is that there were 7 academy/F-S selections in the first round.

Of course, every single one of those idiot list managers who didn't grab the chance to use their first round pick on him is going to look pretty stupid by the end of the year.

Was a ludicrously harsh htb call in fairness

Need to be swung in two 360's before holding the ball can be considered.

Oh, his first possession was HTB, but he learnt from it. ( speed of AFL v WAFL ).

He basically was an early second. Second round started at 30. As I said in another thread, a big part of his apparent slide is that there were 7 academy/F-S selections in the first round.

Of course, every single one of those idiot list managers who didn't grab the chance to use their first round pick on him is going to look pretty stupid by the end of the year.
Didn't he slide because there were so many FS and NGAs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As cringey and Carlscum-esque as this may sound, It’d be great to hear the whole crowd whooping out some Coooooooooop! calls each time he gets it. We don’t have enough of that kind of shithousery anymore.
We 100% need to bring back more of that sh*t, we used to be the fun club.

I'd love for us to get to a point where everyone in optus is singing the Kevin Parker song in Q4 if we're up or it's close

I'd love for us to get to a point where everyone in optus is singing the Kevin Parker song in Q4 if we're up or it's close

Agree - it adds to the atmosphere and fun. I think that fits with the playing group as well.

But we've never actually done that have we? Closest we've got to that is ringing a bell for Bell possessions and that wasn't really a collective activity..

Agree - it adds to the atmosphere and fun. I think that fits with the playing group as well.

But we've never actually done that have we? Closest we've got to that is ringing a bell for Bell possessions and that wasn't really a collective activity..

Yeah nothing close - I think we need the social media team to start suggesting things like it.

Loved him tackling caleb daniel over the line (4th quarter, 13.45 left on the clock)

He laid 2 tackles in a row and Daniel tried to feint but cooper went straight for the hips where other players might have been too busy watching the footwork.

As cringey and Carlscum-esque as this may sound, It’d be great to hear the whole crowd whooping out some Coooooooooop! calls each time he gets it. We don’t have enough of that kind of shithousery anymore.
Was thinking a few weeks ago that it would be cool to give out a big Moooooosssee when Pearce gets hold of it .

Loved him tackling caleb daniel over the line (4th quarter, 13.45 left on the clock)

He laid 2 tackles in a row and Daniel tried to feint but cooper went straight for the hips where other players might have been too busy watching the footwork.
Yep! Hips don't lie.

Geez his clearances can’t get much higher. Club record 17.

Festival Show GIF by Creed

Didn't he slide because there were so many FS and NGAs?
He slid mostly because of concerns about his size for the position he played which was mostly onball as a junior and also because he missed the underage champs so he couldn't showcase his skills.
Edit: He actually missed around half the season with injury.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back