• 6 -> 10

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • 11 -> 15

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • 16+

Votes: 37 37.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

After 2006, many commentators said Geelong's problem was they lacked stars / elite talent.

Next season, we have a 15 or 16 game winning streak, Bartel wins the Brownlow, Ablett the AFLP and AFLC awards, we have 9 selections in the AA team, win a qualifying final by 106 points and a grand final by 119 points.
Yep. I remember in 2006 one commentator saying the only player he'd cross the road to watch was Gary Ablett and he'd never make the most of his talent. Yet that team included Scarlett, Enright, Johnson, Chapman, Corey, Bartel, Ling, Mooney, Milburn, Ottens, etc.

It's amazing how a bit of confidence can make players go from spuds to stars and vice versa. Look at what Carlton is doing right now for example.

After 2006, many commentators said Geelong's problem was they lacked stars / elite talent.

Next season, we have a 15 or 16 game winning streak, Bartel wins the Brownlow, Ablett the AFLP and AFLC awards, we have 9 selections in the AA team, win a qualifying final by 106 points and a grand final by 119 points.
I remember the summer Hinkley took over Port there was a two page spread of player by player assessment of ports list in the Adelaide advertiser. Basically rated half the players as a delist material. 9 months later they made finals and the same last rewritten would have half the squad B grade or better

Tanner wasn't the reason we lost today to the GC... The entire side besides maybe a couple are just off the boil this year.

But surely people are starting to get a little worried about him. We gave a first-rounder for him.

I see a kid that can win a hard ball here and there... but almost nothing else.
One year anniversary of this time last year when the knives were out for Bruhn (this is a tongue in cheek reference Bridgey, you've been pretty fair on Bruhn as time's gone on).

If 2 or 3 games was early enough for some to dismiss Tanner last year, a couple of games a year later is worthy of toasting him.

Tanner's low time on ground remains in place but he has already matched his effort in 2023 of cracking 20 disposals twice. Most have had him in the best players both weeks. Bruhn did have 7 games of 18-19 disposals last year on 60%ish game time though - most in the second half of the year - so he was already improving. Midfielders in their 4th/5th year often take a step up as their bodies mature and they develop nous around the ball.

23.5 disposals, 11.5 contested possessions, 7.5 clearances, 5 score involvements and 6.5 tackles a game from Bruhn's first 2 to start 2024.

Now I know Warhorse's new accepted numbers will be 30 disposals, 10 clearances, 8 score involvements and 9 tackles a game but we still have plenty of time on the clock. The kid has had about 30 AFL games as a permanent midfielder.

Conway, Bruhn, Holmes and Clark around the ball for the next decade. One more quality addition and it's looking alright for the future.

One year anniversary of this time last year when the knives were out for Bruhn (this is a tongue in cheek reference Bridgey, you've been pretty fair on Bruhn as time's gone on).

If 2 or 3 games was early enough for some to dismiss Tanner last year, a couple of games a year later is worthy of toasting him.

Tanner's low time on ground remains in place but he has already matched his effort in 2023 of cracking 20 disposals twice. Most have had him in the best players both weeks. Bruhn did have 7 games of 18-19 disposals last year on 60%ish game time though - most in the second half of the year - so he was already improving. Midfielders in their 4th/5th year often take a step up as their bodies mature and they develop nous around the ball.

23.5 disposals, 11.5 contested possessions, 7.5 clearances, 5 score involvements and 6.5 tackles a game from Bruhn's first 2 to start 2024.

Now I know Warhorse's new accepted numbers will be 30 disposals, 10 clearances, 8 score involvements and 9 tackles a game but we still have plenty of time on the clock. The kid has had about 30 AFL games as a permanent midfielder.

Conway, Bruhn, Holmes and Clark around the ball for the next decade. One more quality addition and it's looking alright for the future.

The higher numbers are nice to look at but I'm still a little concerned with ToG%

The higher numbers are nice to look at but I'm still a little concerned with ToG%
I kind of get your point as we actually looked poor and it was noticeable when Bruhn was on the bench.

But...I'd be much more concerned if his numbers remained the same but his ToG% sky rocketed.

Scott just really, really doesn't like giving his midfielders more than 70% ToG the last few seasons. So I'm not sure how much you can read into that.

Maybe the 5 day break before round 4 was a factor yesterday. Round 1 he was off for most of the first quarter and round 3 he was coming back from injury.

Too early to draw big conclusions on the time on ground. Effectiveness per minute is still something notable to track in the meantime.

I’m putting it down to coming back from an injury
Also TOG doesn’t bother me if the reason is midfield balance
We will never know but I’m doubting it’s a fitness thing

I kind of get your point as we actually looked poor and it was noticeable when Bruhn was on the bench.

But...I'd be much more concerned if his numbers remained the same but his ToG% sky rocketed.

Scott just really, really doesn't like giving his midfielders more than 70% ToG the last few seasons. So I'm not sure how much you can read into that.

Maybe the 5 day break before round 4 was a factor yesterday. Round 1 he was off for most of the first quarter and round 3 he was coming back from injury.

Too early to draw big conclusions on the time on ground. Effectiveness per minute is still something notable to track in the meantime.
I guess it's a big tick for him that we do really notice him missing

Last edited:

Perhaps we look poor as everyone else is tired trying to make up the TOG that Bruhn is unable to play. This wouldn't be a concern if he could play another position but he can't.

He has improved big time in regards to his disposal numbers but gets chopped up on the spread on the regular. Was given an absolute lesson by Worpel yesterday along with 6 clangers and very poor disposal efficiency. I'm hoping that his poor disposal and defensive running will improve with fitness but his TOG tells me he still has a long way to go.

Perhaps we look poor as everyone else is tired trying to make up the TOG that Bruhn is unable to play. This wouldn't be a concern if he could play another position but he can't.

He has improved big time in regards to his disposal numbers but gets chopped up on the spread on the regular. Was given an absolute lesson by Worpel yesterday along with 6 clangers and very poor disposal efficiency. I'm hoping that his poor disposal and defensive running will improve with fitness but his TOG tells me he still has a long way to go.
Why are the other midfielders always so low for TOG too? Even in 2022?

Parfitt had less time on ground than Bruhn yesterday. We are basically just playing an extra midfielder rotation or two and they all hit around the 62-70% mark for TOG, while defenders, forwards and wingmen have higher minutes.

Then every weekend we complain when individual midfielders stats aren't as high as the opposition midfielders with 80% or more TOG (but less rotations).

You're not stupid so this premise can't have escaped you.

If Worpel gave Bruhn a lesson then Bruhn's dominant 15 disposal first quarter wouldn't have set up a match winning 6 goal lead. Two midfielders can have great games and one can spend more time on ground, giving them higher raw numbers. With Geelong's rotations you will simply never be happy with our individuals and their "marked down" stats.

Also: Worpel is a 105 game midfielder aged 25, not a 22 year old who has had 20-30 games in midfield and another 20 on a flank. OF COURSE the youngster will have improvement left in him that we should be able to track. You are asking for it, you are getting it and then you are moving the goal posts or doubling down on ridiculously harsh assessments.

Worpel wasn’t Bruhns direct opponent, it was mainly Newcombe and Histwaite with Nash putting a full tag on him in the second quarter, that eased for the last half but let’s not nit pick something that isn’t true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over his last 6 games of AFL Bruhn has averaged 20.7 disposals, 9.5 contested possessions, 4.8 clearances, 4.5 score involvements and 5.5 tackles. As a 21-22 year old with around 65% time on ground.

His first 6 games at the Cats he averaged 13.7 disposals, 5.7 contested possessions, 3.0 clearances, 3.3 score involvements and 2.8 tackles.

That seems like a youngster who is improving quite quickly as he finds his feet at a new club, in his rightful position as a stoppage midfielder.

I really loved seeing the combination with him and Conway at the centre bounces. Knows how to read the hit-out and get separation. Exciting to think that that connection will likely only get stronger over time.
Still stuff to work on of course - I would say probably endurance running and decision-making. I feel like there were times he rushed a handball or two and slowed the play down a bit as a result. They're 1%ers that can make the difference between an attacking play and the team being put on the back foot. They're also things that will improve with experience and games played with teammates. But I've been impressed with his individual development in the hoops over his first year. The club obviously sees him as a key part of the future of our midfield and are all in.

Over his last 6 games of AFL Bruhn has averaged 20.7 disposals, 9.5 contested possessions, 4.8 clearances, 4.5 score involvements and 5.5 tackles. As a 21-22 year old with around 65% time on ground.

His first 6 games at the Cats he averaged 13.7 disposals, 5.7 contested possessions, 3.0 clearances, 3.3 score involvements and 2.8 tackles.

That seems like a youngster who is improving quite quickly as he finds his feet at a new club, in his rightful position as a stoppage midfielder.
He has improved around the stoppages and is currently very good at the clearances but he is a liability when covering defensively.

Worpel wasn’t Bruhns direct opponent, it was mainly Newcombe and Histwaite with Nash putting a full tag on him in the second quarter, that eased for the last half but let’s not nit pick something that isn’t true
Nope. Just looked that way as Bruhn couldn't or wouldn't go with him defensively.

Why are the other midfielders always so low for TOG too? Even in 2022?

Parfitt had less time on ground than Bruhn yesterday. We are basically just playing an extra midfielder rotation or two and they all hit around the 62-70% mark for TOG, while defenders, forwards and wingmen have higher minutes.

Then every weekend we complain when individual midfielders stats aren't as high as the opposition midfielders with 80% or more TOG (but less rotations).

You're not stupid so this premise can't have escaped you.

If Worpel gave Bruhn a lesson then Bruhn's dominant 15 disposal first quarter wouldn't have set up a match winning 6 goal lead. Two midfielders can have great games and one can spend more time on ground, giving them higher raw numbers. With Geelong's rotations you will simply never be happy with our individuals and their "marked down" stats.

Also: Worpel is a 105 game midfielder aged 25, not a 22 year old who has had 20-30 games in midfield and another 20 on a flank. OF COURSE the youngster will have improvement left in him that we should be able to track. You are asking for it, you are getting it and then you are moving the goal posts or doubling down on ridiculously harsh assessments.
Our midfield was poor last year. Not sure why you would hold that up as some gold standard.

Parfitt had a much better game than Bruhn yesterday. Worked very hard trying to cover for Bruhns defensive deficiencies.

I really loved seeing the combination with him and Conway at the centre bounces. Knows how to read the hit-out and get separation. Exciting to think that that connection will likely only get stronger over time.
Still stuff to work on of course - I would say probably endurance running and decision-making. I feel like there were times he rushed a handball or two and slowed the play down a bit as a result. They're 1%ers that can make the difference between an attacking play and the team being put on the back foot. They're also things that will improve with experience and games played with teammates. But I've been impressed with his individual development in the hoops over his first year. The club obviously sees him as a key part of the future of our midfield and are all in.
I think the connection with the young falcons is real. Conway was a bottom ages in Bruhns draft year but he would have rucked to him a lot at the falcons. They developed together. A lot of the entries too that Bruhn makes that look like hack kicks land suspiciously close to Ollie Henry. Like he just knows where he'll be.

Picking up a group that played a lot of juniors together looks like a cohesion hack

Our midfield was poor last year. Not sure why you would hold that up as some gold standard.

Parfitt had a much better game than Bruhn yesterday. Worked very hard trying to cover for Bruhns defensive deficiencies.
Was 2022 last year?

Your opinion isn't shared by the posters here or the AFL.com.au match report. Maybe the coaches votes will come in to save you. Bruhn has been snubbed in a few games he played well.

5 tackles and 20 pressure acts as a really poor defensive effort means you're holding him up to pretty high standards. If he bumped that up to 10 tackles and 30 pressure acts I'm sure the goal posts would be moved again, or "he doesn't do this though".

You're also being very ignorant of the fact that Geelong destroyed Hawthorn with many clean clearances (not scrappy ones) that Bruhn was involved in. In fact we scored more from stoppages than they did. But I'm sure Worpel was blameless for that given he was so busy destroying Bruhn.

My 2 bobs worth... Bruhn is going better than i thought.
Does a lot of little things that i like.
Gonna be a solid B maybe B+ grader with the potential to take that next step.
Fingers crossed the trajectory goes upwards.

Sorry but this is a really poor take. Our 2022 premiership midfield was built on low TOG. Never thought I’d see someone blame the person on the bench for the rest of the mids inability to get a clearance, which was in the second quarter mostly, so if they are gassed already then we’ve got bigger problems. We’ll get Guthrie and Dangerfield back around the ball to support and he won’t need to be the main man

He has improved around the stoppages and is currently very good at the clearances but he is a liability when covering defensively.

Nope. Just looked that way as Bruhn couldn't or wouldn't go with him defensively.
Your must be a hoot when the bill comes out for dinner

The TOG doesn't concern me as much as most as from 2022 maybe earlier? we started to adopt a different approach to midfielders and play them all for much shorter amounts of time but have more run through the middle.

Most weeks our mids will be between 60% and 70% mid time with a few usually Danger a bit higher at 75%.

The TOG doesn't concern me as much as most as from 2022 maybe earlier? we started to adopt a different approach to midfielders and play them all for much shorter amounts of time but have more run through the middle.

Most weeks our mids will be between 60% and 70% mid time with a few usually Danger a bit higher at 75%.
Yeah if it's a structural thing sure. But he's never posted high numbers before I think where others have. I won't panic but will be keeping an eye on it

Back