Votes: 23 23.2%
  • 11 -> 15

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • 16+

Votes: 37 37.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If there was a 2nds under 22 squad he wouldnt make that either

Can I ask why you post in the Tanner, if it's just going to be this negative crap?

We get that you don't rate the guy - it doesn't need to be a daily response to the discussion

Maybe it'll be better to move on from this thread if this is the extent of your contributions...

Didn’t make the 22under22 squad :think:
Because he's not good enough... yet.

The guy is playing midfield cameos, I'm happy with how he's tracking.

For what it's worth, guys like Cam Guthrie and Mitch Duncan were eligible for 22 under 22 (it started in 2012), but were never picked.

Because he's not good enough... yet.

The guy is playing midfield cameos, I'm happy with how he's tracking.

For what it's worth, guys like Cam Guthrie and Mitch Duncan were eligible for 22 under 22 (it started in 2012), but were never picked.
The midfield list, especially at the top end, is scarily good for an under 22's. We'd be needing to cash up multiple first round picks for guys like Serong and Anderson.

There are 17 mids picked in 22 under 22, I'm not surprised he's not on the list considering who is (given the year Geelong's had), but he's surely not far off.

View attachment 1769836
I really wish when they did this they actually picked an actual team. and not just shoe horn as many mids in as possible. Same with the AA selections

I really wish when they did this they actually picked an actual team. and not just shoe horn as many mids in as possible. Same with the AA selections

The 22 under 22 is purely a fan vote but it is structured so that you can only select defenders in defence, forwards in the forward line etc

There are 17 mids picked in 22 under 22, I'm not surprised he's not on the list considering who is (given the year Geelong's had), but he's surely not far off.

View attachment 1769836
Whilst we believe we have some good players coming through, all of the other teams would say the same. This means we have no advantage.

You have to get the early draft picks, or to a certain extent fluke, a couple of A+ players or other teams will pass us.

Whilst we believe we have some good players coming through, all of the other teams would say the same. This means we have no advantage.

You have to get the early draft picks, or to a certain extent fluke, a couple of A+ players or other teams will pass us.

Any way you look at it though this is likely the best crop of young talent we've had in over a decade. It's fine to get excited

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any way you look at it though this is likely the best crop of young talent we've had in over a decade. It's fine to get excited
This is the best set of youngsters we've had at the club since the 2009 draft IMO:
Menzel, Duncan, Vardy, Christensen.

Injury seriously cruelled three of those careers. Arguably the least talented player of those four went on to be the best.

View attachment 1769836

We have 3 players nominated (no team has more than 4) and we have more nominated than perennial cellar dwellers Gold Coast, North, Essendon, Carlton, Saints. Not bad

We have 3 players nominated (no team has more than 4) and we have more nominated than perennial cellar dwellers Gold Coast, North, Essendon, Carlton, Saints. Not bad

Freo have 5 (Amiss, Jackson, Clark, Young, Serong) - but yes, I agree it's a good haul for Geelong.

We'd have 4 if we kept Clark :p

Matt Rowell average 20 disposals this year.
JHF hasn't got above 25 disposals yet in his career. (average 17 this year)

So if the knock on Bruhn is purley his disposal count, then there's a couple of pick #1's that don't rack them up week to week either. Matt is 1 year older than Bruhn, and JHF is 1 year younger.

Except we picked up Bruhn for pick 18 and some are expecting him to rack up 30+ each week.

View attachment 1769836
Of the 17 midfielders there were only 5 lasted to our first pick in those respective drafts (Martin, Holmes, Newcombe, Warner and Gulden who we bid on but Sydney matched).

Basically if you're in the under 22 side as a midfielder it's because you were more talented and more physically developed at a young age than most of your peers so were likely a high end pick.

Matt Rowell average 20 disposals this year.
JHF hasn't got above 25 disposals yet in his career. (average 17 this year)

So if the knock on Bruhn is purley his disposal count, then there's a couple of pick #1's that don't rack them up week to week either. Matt is 1 year older than Bruhn, and JHF is 1 year younger.

Except we picked up Bruhn for pick 18 and some are expecting him to rack up 30+ each week.
Rowell nearly averages as many contested possessions a game as Bruhn averages in total possessions. Rowell averages more clearances than Bruhn does contested possessions.

This year, JHF has 6 games with over 20 touches compared to Bruhn only having 2. In fact he has more 20+ touches in his first season than Bruhn does in his 3rd season

If you think Bruhn is anywhere near the above players I dont know what to say other than watch more football.

Rowell nearly averages as many contested possessions a game as Bruhn averages in total possessions. Rowell averages more clearances than Bruhn does contested possessions.

This year, JHF has 6 games with over 20 touches compared to Bruhn only having 2. In fact he has more 20+ touches in his first season than Bruhn does in his 3rd season

If you think Bruhn is anywhere near the above players I dont know what to say other than watch more football.
Bruhn didn't start with the physical size of those guys. He was never likely to impact early in his career as much. But he's got good commitment and technique with contested ball and is elite in traffic. He needs another 2 years but should be a very good player once he has a body to compete with those guys.

Bruhn didn't start with the physical size of those guys. He was never likely to impact early in his career as much. But he's got good commitment and technique with contested ball and is elite in traffic. He needs another 2 years but should be a very good player once he has a body to compete with those guys.
I would think we all agree it is too early to say what his ceiling is.
Lets wait till the end of his career and then compare him to other players.

He is learning the defensive side of the game and can handle the heat when the tempo goes up. In his defence keep in mind he was played out of the centre and is slowly increasing his game time. As far as I am concerned it was an inspired selection and he could be a leader in the future.

I am very, very pleased he is at Geelong.

I didn't say that.

What I'm saying is people are expecting too much of him, when he's 21. The comparison is to show not everyone is a N Daicos or Selwood that has large impacts strait away with 30+ disposals every week. It's that other kids, even number 1 picks can take time to develop.

Whether he ends up being any good or not, we won't know for a while yet.

I didn't say that.

What I'm saying is people are expecting too much of him, when he's 21. The comparison is to show not everyone is a N Daicos or Selwood that has large impacts strait away with 30+ disposals every week. It's that other kids, even number 1 picks can take time to develop.

Whether he ends up being any good or not, we won't know for a while yet.
Anyone can see he is good enough now. It is a matter of how much he improves.

Looking forward to seeing how good Clark becomes.

Last edited:
I think those Port midfielders showed elite ability from the very start. I think only Holmes has that on Geelong’s list (Clark can’t be judged yet).

Bruhn is a good player but I don’t see him ever reaching those heights.

I think to meld a Premiership midfield out of this group we are missing one very special player. What we have is great compliments to a star or two.

After 2006, many commentators said Geelong's problem was they lacked stars / elite talent.

Next season, we have a 15 or 16 game winning streak, Bartel wins the Brownlow, Ablett the AFLP and AFLC awards, we have 9 selections in the AA team, win a qualifying final by 106 points and a grand final by 119 points.

Back