Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Some perspective. Tyler sellers kick 6 and had 15 possessions round 1 , followed by 3.3 and 12 in round 2. Then he was a complete liability when he played seniors. But We are so light on for talls we might not have a choice but to play him .
We might switch things around. Dear needs to keep playing VFL. Quite a lot he needs to work on. Let him build his confidence and forward craft.

Calsher Dear’s fine debut campaign also continued, with the first-year forward unquestionably Box Hill’s standout marking option. He was one of four Hawks to kick multiple goals – he kicked 2.4 all told – but the only one designated as a tall – with the returning Chad Wingard, Jack O’Sullivan and Andreas Stefanakis the others to register two majors on the day.

While heartened by his work in front of goal, Dear must be highlighted for his work rate elsewhere. Whether with the ball, to present as an option or when charged to apply pressure, he was a standout. In fact, only seven players on the ground laid more tackles than the 195cm tall.

Full report In the link below!

While heartened by his work in front of goal, Dear must be highlighted for his work rate elsewhere. Whether with the ball, to present as an option or when charged to apply pressure, he was a standout. In fact, only seven players on the ground laid more tackles than the 195cm tall.
Dear’s preseason and hard work must be starting to kick in if his work rate is being highlighted when presenting as an option or when applying pressure without the ball. And he doesn’t look any skinnier than when Buddy or Roughy debuted!

He excites me.

Hawthorn as a club and fanbase need some excitement right now

Club legends kid debuting in Dear would provide this, and it isn’t just for that.

He deserves it, has performed well at VFL level, he provides pressure, his presence in the air is superb and his attack on the ball, sticky mits, smart footballer and athletic. He’s well built already, has confidence in himself.

Do it.

Doubt he'd do any worse than Ramsden, who is a lightweight currently. At least Dear will try to present and can clunk marks, if his good VFL performances are anything to go by.

It may be too early to play him, but what other options do we have if Lewis and Chol are unavailable? Reeves isn't up to the task of spending most of the game in the F50. Serong? Sicily? A cooked Gunston playing as a lone tall?

Could Frost channel his inner Gherig for a game with Phillips taking his FB spot?

Expecting him to do any more than he is already producing before he debuts is pretty ridiculous.
No player ever has been asked to do more before a debut.

I find the hesitation on this board to be quite bizarre IMO.
Dear is a big lad already.
Get him in!
Michael Tuck and Robert Dipierdomenico and their 50+ games in the reserves say 👋

I don’t like the idea of Calsher debuting as the lone tall. Ideally it would be with Lewis.

Otherwise reeves. If not on protocol.

The team will be all at sea with yet another major fwd half reshuffle.

Maybe it will throw the opposition too

Last edited:
My man, that was last century.

Colour television was an innovation when they debuted.
True.

However it’s in response to your claim that:

No one ever has been asked to do more.

Which is clearly a massive exaggeration.

Plenty of players have played far more games and shown far greater dominance at the reserves level before being elevated. To suggest otherwise is patently false.

As I said earlier - we live in an age of instant gratification.

If Chol and Lewis don’t play, bringing in Calsher would make him our primary forward target - at 19 with 5 VFL games under his belt.

We would be better served to play Reeves and Meek together against the Dogs with one sitting as a deep forward.

True.

Plenty of players have played far more games and shown far greater dominance at the reserves level before being elevated. To suggest otherwise is patently false.

If Chol and Lewis don’t play, bringing in Calsher would make him our primary forward target - at 19 with 5 VFL games under his belt.

We would be better served to play Reeves and Meek together against the Dogs with one sitting as a deep forward.
I swear you wanna scream your lungs out and blame woke.

I’m aware of my exaggeration.

I thought it would be too obvious to comment on it, but here you are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt he'd do any worse than Ramsden, who is a lightweight currently. At least Dear will try to present and can clunk marks, if his good VFL performances are anything to go by.

It may be too early to play him, but what other options do we have if Lewis and Chol are unavailable? Reeves isn't up to the task of spending most of the game in the F50. Serong? Sicily? A cooked Gunston playing as a lone tall?

Could Frost channel his inner Gherig for a game with Phillips taking his FB spot?
If we're really pushed for options, Weddle could perhaps be considered for a smallish tall forward. I don't like moving him around so much early in his career though.

I don’t like the idea of Calsher debuting as the lone tall. Ideally it would be with Lewis.

Otherwise reeves. If not on protocol.

The team will be all at sea with yet another major fwd half reshuffle.

Maybe it will throw the opposition too
Fully agree, right now would be the worst time, you want close to our best fwd set up to support and provide confidence and assurance, that he is doing everything right. At the moment, it comes across as a dogs breakfast.
Then again, he may not last long in our fwd line because he leads at the ball :p

I think he has to play. now Lewis or Chol now. Gunston and Dear as forward and Ramsdon 2nd fwd/2nd ruck.

Should never have put Ramsden as sub.

Its a little bit throwing him to the wolves basically bringing him in as the number 1 forward instead of being 3rd string however I think that may benefit him with more opportunity. O'brien, Lewis, Jeka all struggled in recent times in their first few games disappearing because they simply weren't the target.

I'd pick him and let him know they we just want him to compete in the air and bring the ball down. No high expectations and with full knowledge that he's likely to lose his spot next week with Chol and Lewis back but it gives him a taste and most importantly.

We are a better chance of competing with him in the side than not. We cannot go in with Gunston as the number 1 tall and ramsden for support when not rucking.

True.

I have watched almost every single Hawks game for years, even games we got thumped that i missed live i re watched more often than not. If we go in to a game with Reeves/Meek as our deepest forward option i am not sure i am tuning in. That would be a new low point.

Aaron Cadman and Dear have similar builds albeit one was a later pick and one the first pick. There’s no reason why Dear shouldn’t debut. He’s done well enough to earn it. As some others mentioned if he was a higher pick he’d be playing. I’ll mention too that the reason he wasn’t a higher pick was changing sports later in his life and not committing to footy would be a main reason, a late bloomer with plenty of development.

Aaron Cadman and Dear have similar builds albeit one was a later pick and one the first pick. There’s no reason why Dear shouldn’t debut. He’s done well enough to earn it. As some others mentioned if he was a higher pick he’d be playing. I’ll mention too that the reason he wasn’t a higher pick was changing sports later in his life and not committing to footy would be a main reason, a late bloomer with plenty of development.
He said himself after the pre-season game that he was gassed after and took most the week to recover. He needs another pre-season (if not two) at least. Patience, we don't want to burn him out, he has a long career ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back