Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

He is brave, can lead, jump and take a grab something we have been lacking for along time. Bring him in with the Wiz at his feet ….. could be a long relationship for the many years ahead 🤞😊

Super excited to see this unfold!!!

Please play a experienced head around him. Crying out for some blokes who have a thirst for the contest!

Great news.

Expectations should be realistic but it this a reward for performance, which is the correct approach to selection. Our senior forward line has been atrocious and is further decimated this week. Dear has been performing well in the VFL. He earned his call up. Playing key forward in a bottom 4 side as a first year player is no small task but I am glad he has been rewarded with the opportunity he deserves.

The club have had Andy Collins talk directly about the debut of Clasher and why.

Read the AGE article.

Yup - hearing about his mental strength etc made me completely comfortable about the inclusion. I would have been worried if he wasn't up for senior footy but it feels like he very much is.

There's more to being ready than just size and strength. He said himself after the pre-season game that it took him a while to recover. That kind of stamina comes from multiple pre-seasons, not just 5 VFL games. Bear in mind that he is a bit behind others in this regard due to taking 18 months or so off. It'll certainly be a good experience for him at least, but you really do need to be able to string a few games together to get some confidence.
Agree, but you still have to be able to run games out in the VFL and from all reports he is doing that and more and seems to be recovering well. AFL will be a lot more demanding for him, let’s see how he goes 👍

Was on the give him time to develop bandwagon but given the circumstances I can understand the choice and an wrapped for the kid.

Hope he gets some early touches just to ease the nerves. Great learning experience for him, just hope our midfield gets their s**t together and gives him chances.

sure i am one of them. I have egg on my face. I still maintain it wasnt the best choice but how can u not be happy for the kid. I cant wait for him to run out with team. An emotional moment for him and his family

No, you don’t have egg on your face. You are one of the educated posters who spends time at the club that I respect the insight of. The board would be horrifically poorer without the input of those who are fortunate enough to track watch/attend Box Hill games and report back. I was happier to take the feedback of posters like that than those who could just spit out stat lines they’d read about. Also traditionally it takes KPPs time to debut - even the highly touted ones, so I didn’t figure that those saying he might need more time were being negative or conservative but just giving a fair educated opinion on the matter.

As always - your input here is more valuable than those whose input is limited to ‘LoL yOu GoT EgG On YoUr FaCe’.

sure i am one of them. I have egg on my face. I still maintain it wasnt the best choice but how can u not be happy for the kid. I cant wait for him to run out with the team. An emotional moment for him and his family
Hardly, you gave an opinion in a respectful way, that's what the forum is about. FWIW, I think he's a bit green too.

Let's all enjoy Dear's debut, I cannot think of a better moment so far this year, not even the solitary win, this game has gone from one of, I'm going because I always go, to, I can't wait for Sunday arvo, especially since I saw his father play (like many others).

Calsher has earned his debut for sure! I have really enjoyed watching his season so far in the VFL via the AFL app.

Injury may have pushed his opportunity along quicker, but he was knocking on the door with his performances.

Do I think he will kick 5 goals this week? Unlikely, but he is capable of being such a weapon.

Calsher will give it 100%, he will be in the contest and tackles hard. Our small forwards will benefit from his efforts.

Am I suggest his enthusiasm will rub off on the likes of Gunston and co.

The thing I loved most about Dear though in the VFL, he flew the flag. No one got to bully our small forwards! Calsh stepped in and protected our smalls with a calm head.

When Butler went down he was one of the first to call for a stretcher.

Good luck young man, play your role.

Good luck lad.

When the ball is coming in ratshit and he's benched for 50% of the game, please think and persevere. He needs time and a string of games. Like Max does

What I want to know is how big are his quads / thighs?

His old man had the biggest set of quads I have ever seen on the footy field, it's what helped him jump so high and play ruck at only 188cm.

Really looking forward to seeing how he goes this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder how bad BT will butcher his name.

Or how many Bambi and Deer related gags Dwayne will come up with.
Re BT, he'll probably try a little harder to get it right, because Calsher isn't a dago.

Re Dwayne, I'm expecting at least one Bambi or young fawn reference

That last comment from Gunner makes it all worthwhile bringing him back to the club, great mentor.

"I'll be with you every step of the way with ya whether at the club or not"

This is absolutely beautiful and a great reminder as to why it was such a great decision to get Gunston back to the club.
Senior players and support for our youngsters are as important as anything when it comes to development.

Going to be emotional seeing him play on Sunday. I can't wait.

I understand those on the "give him time" bandwagon, but there's a few points - a player's development doesn't matter if the tenacity and the skill base is there. He's not gonna come out and mix it physically, and that's fine, but if he works hard enough he'll get his opportunities. The other point is that he deserves it on form, inaccuracy aside he's had the most shots on goal in the VFL so far this season.

He is not getting a game over Lewis and Chol either.
Fact is Dear would not be preferred over any of the top 20-30 key forwards in the league.
He's a first year draftee!
We know this, and heck if DGB was fit he would be in front too. But they aren't and he's playing and like most young players. They get their debut due to injury and being the next best option.

Instead of people complaining "he's not ready" we should be thankful that he's gotten a chance so early rather than playing 2s all year and potentially getting moved down the order in off season instead of upwards.

Anybody who Questions Bringing Jack back may want to watch this video.
Sure his on field performance has diminished but as it's declined his coaching / mentoring performance has gone up.

Seeing it first hand you can't but admire both him and those who got him back.

Whist our on field results haven't worked out the way we all would have liked, our development system and the relationship with Boxhill is at the top of the ladder

That last comment from Gunner makes it all worthwhile bringing him back to the club, great mentor.

"I'll be with you every step of the way with ya whether at the club or not"

Seinfeld Crying GIF by MOODMAN

Anybody who Questions Bringing Jack back may want to watch this video.
Sure his on field performance has diminished but as it's declined his coaching / mentoring performance has gone up.

Seeing it first hand you can't but admire both him and those who got him back.

Whist our on field results haven't worked out the way we all would have liked, our development system and the relationship with Boxhill is at the top of the ladder
It’s a great way to have extra bodies in the coaching development team. Is it possible to also do this through box hill without it taking up a list spot and impacting the soft cap for the coaching team? That is, box hill employs a playing coach (as opposed to the hawks).

How good is Jack Gunston!

sure i am one of them. I have egg on my face. I still maintain it wasnt the best choice but how can u not be happy for the kid. I cant wait for him to run out with the team. An emotional moment for him and his family

Not even close to true. You gave your usual educated, insightful perspective and it was more than reasonable. I don't think anyone is directing that comment at your at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back