List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn Damon Greaves - pick 14, 2018 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully the instructions to improvbe his defensive game carry over, if him and Hardwick can lockdown the small defnesive roles in our side we have close to a set backline for decade.

Agree but need a FB this year that can hopefully develop with DGB at the same time together.

You literally said he and Ollie were the scapegoats.
No i did not - Mr put words into other peoples mouths. Did you completely miss this :cool: at the end of my sentence ?

What else has a person gotta do around here to show it's sarcasm ? Obviously post it in orange.

Or maybe you're just uptight hey? Thinking you're running around as king defender of all that's holly in your little universe. :cool: There are probably better things to do with your time on the planet then tell me what I meant, since you actually do not know, but are trying to say you do.

Either way mate I don't care what you think I meant, all i give a rats about is General Greaveis killing his chance.

Oh hang on, do I mean killing it as in killing his chances or killing it as taking his chances? :think: Wow weee you gotta be careful on here or the up tighters hiding behind "I defend the players" mantra will get ya, even when it's actually Hawk Franky that said Shiels needs to be replaced - oh opps did I just put words in your mouth Hawk Franky - sorry about that pal.

It's alright buddy it's not always easy to read intent through a computer screen, so I'll let you swing it whichever way you want.

Go GG

What's the thought processes - give him a block of games and see what happens or is he a real chance at it?

Reckon we stuffed him up this year. Broke into the side last year was very promising then we pushed him back in the batting order this year and couldn't fit him in..

Has cost him 9 games of development. Let's hope he plays every remaining game this year.

Reckon we stuffed him up this year. Broke into the side last year was very promising then we pushed him back in the batting order this year and couldn't fit him in..

Has cost him 9 games of development. Let's hope he plays every remaining game this year.
Nope he struggled with his balance of attack and defense, he was able to correct that at Box Hill.

Nope he struggled with his balance of attack and defense, he was able to correct that at Box Hill.
Should have been allowed to correct it at the top level. Another sign we thought we were going to be better than we are and backed more senior players in which has failed.

Should have been allowed to correct it at the top level. Another sign we thought we were going to be better than we are and backed more senior players in which has failed.
Why lower our standards? Day, impey, CJ, Hardwick, Burgoyne were our small defenders. Scrimshaw came in later too. He was just being kept out by better players for the most part. We wouldn’t drop any of them to include a worse player who wasn’t doing what he was asked.

Why lower our standards? Day, impey, CJ, Hardwick, Burgoyne were our small defenders. Scrimshaw came in later too. He was just being kept out by better players for the most part. We wouldn’t drop any of them to include a worse player who wasn’t doing what he was asked.
The problem stems from our stubborness to roll out the same midfield to date this season. We could have fitted him in defence if we pushed one of the above mentioned into the midfield. Problem was we valued Howe as an enforcer and gave Phillips the golden ticket.

The problem stems from our stubborness to roll out the same midfield to date this season. We could have fitted him in defence if we pushed one of the above mentioned into the midfield. Problem was we valued Howe as an enforcer and gave Phillips the golden ticket.
Whar midfield do you want us to pick not like there's a variety of options, he simply wasn't at level to be picked and his form at boxhill also didn't scream select me, Mitchell was highly critically for his lack of defensive pressure and attitude. Why select a player if theyre not listening to instructions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would Hardwick leave the shitty facebook rumor that didn;t even get the year and status of his free agency right?
Well let's put those rumours aside for now then and let me rephrase question.
Is Greaves a similar player to Hardwick?
I haven't seen a lot of Greaves and I'm trying to get handle on what sort of player he is and/or has the potential to become.

I haven't seen a lot of Greaves and I'm trying to get handle on what sort of player he is and/or has the potential to become.
Maybe wont ever be close to his defensive side but yes he could play that role.

Howe and Phillips aren’t keeping greaves out of the side. If they are that is a blight on greaves, not the coaches. Howe and Phillips have massive tanks. None of the defenders have anything like the same level of endurance. It isn’t stubbornness it’s suitability for the role.

Some teams play four small forwards so plenty of room for both.

Howe and Phillips aren’t keeping greaves out of the side. If they are that is a blight on greaves, not the coaches. Howe and Phillips have massive tanks. None of the defenders have anything like the same level of endurance. It isn’t stubbornness it’s suitability for the role.

My point is we didn't select in the early rounds with an eye for the future having unearthed greaves last year. We picked Howe because we have no other nasty mids who like to niggle so the coaches made the call to play him for this quality. This was short-sighted.

We pick Phillips because his GPS looks good but he is a limited footballer. Seriously limited.

Right now we are 2nd last we can only get 1 spot worse. We stuffed up with where we thought we were. Move past Dan Howe.

Am not surprised Greaves struggled in the VFL early games after being overlooked at afl level after being dependable last year. Would have been puzzled about how the club rated him.. glad to see him back in..

It will be interesting to see if Greaves can stay in the team for the next month and how he’ll go alongside Grainger-Barras and Day in defence. He’s one player i would like to see the club persist with. I reckon there’s room for all of them in the back six.

My point is we didn't select in the early rounds with an eye for the future having unearthed greaves last year. We picked Howe because we have no other nasty mids who like to niggle so the coaches made the call to play him for this quality. This was short-sighted.

We pick Phillips because his GPS looks good but he is a limited footballer. Seriously limited.

Right now we are 2nd last we can only get 1 spot worse. We stuffed up with where we thought we were. Move past Dan Howe.

Am not surprised Greaves struggled in the VFL early games after being overlooked at afl level after being dependable last year. Would have been puzzled about how the club rated him.. glad to see him back in..
If we went a youth route round one, it would have been bramble and Downie playing. Greaves was never getting a game and it has nothing to do with who we play on a wing.

edit: and greaves’ form in preseason was quite mixed. He did not deserve a game based on that form.

Greaves form in the pre season wasnt good. In fact he started very well in pre season. Then fell away as CJ came into prominence. CJ took greaves place not Howe. Howe and phillips are more likely to play games than greaves. He lacks a yard. I watched him closely against betts. He was left for dead so many times. Betts would have kicked 5 or 6 on him in his younger days

CJ has been keeping him out as some have said. Greaves is a better defender right now than CJ, but CJ's potential is much higher and that's why he's getting picked. That and pre-season form.

I don't see any special attribute that puts him ahead of anyone else - it can be a good thing just having a solid all round game, but some blistering pace off the back line and kicking skills would be nice. Hope Cj finds his mojo and form again soon, otherwise just solid dependability may overshadow him, but in the overall scheme of things, building a premiership side, I just don't see it with Greaves, yet.

I don't see any special attribute that puts him ahead of anyone else - it can be a good thing just having a solid all round game, but some blistering pace off the back line and kicking skills would be nice. Hope Cj finds his mojo and form again soon, otherwise just solid dependability may overshadow him, but in the overall scheme of things, building a premiership side, I just don't see it with Greaves, yet.

He doesn't panic and is good in traffic, that's a tick for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back