Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Man some people in here are so dramatic he is no where near as small as some would have you believe... Yep he has a lot of size to put on but damn i have seen smaller 'bigs' debut and manage just fine.
Exactly mate, played on plenty of big forwards last year in the WAFL and did very well. Will have no problem with the step up to AFL level. Very good at sagging off and using his elite play reading ability and ball flight judgement.

Exactly mate, played on plenty of big forwards last year in the WAFL and did very well. Will have no problem with the step up to AFL level. Very good at sagging off and using his elite play reading ability and ball flight judgement.
This is an underrated post - good young talent comes in with the mindset of bringing something new and damaging into the mix, let the opposition worry about THEM, rather than worrying about how they're going to nullify/compete.

He did get pushed off the ball in a few 1v1s in the WAFL last year. I imagine it would be the same if he played a stretch of AFL or VFL this year. But he had enough other attributes to make up for it and feature in the bests for Swan Districts a few times.

All I'm really expecting or hoping for this year is that he looks like a competent, dour, second/third tall with a couple of intercept marks thrown in. Anything extra as a first year KPD who missed half a season would indicate something pretty special.

Interesting to hear Clarko say that he would have thought DGB would have been in the side by this point without the injury. I'm hoping this means we'll see him in the side within a month.
Similar to Day last year.

He has class, and can most likely play against bigger bodies. All that was in question early in the year was if he could run an 800m without hurling.

He is a strange case. Normally that more ecto body would have a lean toward good endurance (not always). But damn he is very very slight. Needs some serious strength and size increase in the hips, bum and legs. And a more long term approach to size increase in the upper body.
Gonna be a while before his body reaches it’s ideal size and shape.
I have been told he has actually got potential in the gym to gain size though.
Harris Andrew's aint exactly Chris Langford in size.... he goes ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the game live on Saturday, and I know it's unfair to link draftees to established players, but couldn't help but think how valuable it would be if DGB develops in a similar vain to Weitering.

The penny dropped for the Blues when the stopped trying to force Weitering into a key defender position, midway through his second season when they discovered Jones could play back. They spent the rest of this season and Weitering's third season allowing him to develop as a third defender alongside Jones and Casboult... Now he is just an absolute star at 23, as a genuine key defender.

Hartigan and Frost will be equally critical in how we develop DGB over his first 2/3 seasons.

Are they gonna fast track him, or does he need another 4 week block at BH first?
I would make him earn the call up. If he performs at BH, straight into the side though. That's the approach we should be taking with young developing players. Don't gift games to guys who are battling at VFL level, but if they perform well, get them in and start pumping games into them.

Are they gonna fast track him, or does he need another 4 week block at BH first?
He isnt playing at BH this weekend as he is listed as a guest speaker at the presidents lunch :D

That gives him an extra week to build fitness on the training track as we have the bye the week after that.

I would be surprised if we fast-track him. Was a fair way off in the preseason games. In saying that got to think he will get a taste at AFL level before the year is out for his development.

Anyone have any word on DGB's progress/status? Have seen he's off the injury list on the website

when he gets going it’s going to be amazing - seeing north and Sydney’s other pick I can see why he was ranked 2 by some clubs.

Bit of luck falling our way of late
DGB is most certainly the forgotten man. If he comes in and hits the ground running then I reckon the perception of where we are in a rebuild looks extremely different. I'm not saying we are anywhere close to a finished product but definitely not as far back as some seem to think. We've got holes to fill which will be addressed in the upcoming draft and trade period. We'll have a better idea of where we are 6-7 rounds in to next season.

Very nice first game in the VFL, defensively anyway. Put himself in the right place constantly and killed a lot of attacks with spoils and marks. Josh Gibson like positioning. Reckon he will get a couple more VFL runs to increase his fitness and production (think he had maybe 10 possessions or so) before promotion. But good signs first up

Very nice first game in the VFL, defensively anyway. Put himself in the right place constantly and killed a lot of attacks with spoils and marks. Josh Gibson like positioning. Reckon he will get a couple more VFL runs to increase his fitness and production (think he had maybe 10 possessions or so) before promotion. But good signs first up
Exceeded my expectations coming back from injury, looks confident and just reads the play so well.

Looks a hell of a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back