Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re right, but we need to structure our team to where footy will be in 3-5 years time. Will a forward line of with one tall and 5 smalls be the perfect structure? Will 4 talls and the resting ruck be too short? Will 4 “Gunston type” players be the go? IMHO, with our fast ball movement tall marking/leading players is what we want.
Footy has changed player over the last 20-30 years. Some things remain the same though. Forward lines that apply pressure, find players in space, are able to create contests and those that win contests have success.

The exact players and the way it’s done changes, but that remains pretty constant.

What DGB needs to do is find himself a role within our forward line (or backline) that suits himself.

So far it seems to be creating contests that he’s best at. Still needs work on his fitness and strength before he will make it.

You’re right, but we need to structure our team to where footy will be in 3-5 years time. Will a forward line of with one tall and 5 smalls be the perfect structure? Will 4 talls and the resting ruck be too short? Will 4 “Gunston type” players be the go? IMHO, with our fast ball movement tall marking/leading players is what we want.
Chol has a four year deal with a trigger for a fifth. We have Ramsden who can play the same role. So yes, Lewis plus one of Chol/Ramma and a Gunston type (Duursma or Caddy for example) with three quicker players is the right mix, yes. Certainly no room for another DGB type (Unless he becomes a Gunston type).

He's almost the forgotten man for me. If he can come on and become the player we all hoped for when drafted then that will be an added bonus. I still have hope that it will click for him as he can certainly play.
Agree, I still have hope that it will click for him. But not so sure what he will end up being. Right now seems slated for the forward line, but Chol and Gunners will make things tight for him.

Agree, I still have hope that it will click for him. But not so sure what he will end up being. Right now seems slated for the forward line, but Chol and Gunners will make things tight for him.
I think he just needs to run and run and run until they call him Forrest. Fix his tank and his other attributes will come to the fore.

Yep. 4th pre-season for Denver and shapes as a biggy. Want to see him not blown up at the back of the field for the time trial as a start

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh. Strangely quiet in here?

Does anyone know if Denver actually performed the recent time trial?

Anyway, big year for the lad. Contract year. You'd want him to show more this year than he has so far.
That said, given the "tall" and "first round" he'd almost have to force Sam & co to delist him. Trade would be more likely in any exiting scenario I reckon. Would be concerned if only offered a 1 year deal at years end.

I so want this lad to succeed though. Seems like a nice young chap. Really wanting to see him take hold of a game and impose his will on the outcome, at either level.

Here we go Denver, here we go!!!

Anyone else hearing that Denver has given up running?

Apparently has just told running no more, still playing footy but

Huh. Strangely quiet in here?

groundhog-day-groundhog.gif

DGB fulfilling his potential as a KP forward would change our team more than any other player's development next season.

If we could get 3-4 games of the calibre of his VFL performance where he kicked 4 goals - decisive, urgent, attacking AND converting - that would be enormous for us.

He kicked goals in 4/8 senior games, all 1 goal performances -BUT we should also remember that the team's form in those matches was putrid! We did not score more than 80 points in any of the games DGB started on the field, and only in the 60s for two of those games. Of course some of that is on the forwards, but it reflects much more on the team IMO.

If he can turn a couple of those 1-goal games into 2-3 goals then it changes everything about his contribution to the team.
I think he can get there but he's got to get to more contests and we've got to get better at delivering to our forwards.
I thought he looked pretty good Forward against Melbourne too could have had 2-3 goals easy and was up the ground taking marks. I think if Gunston didn't come back with Kosi and Sticks leaving we'd probably just assume he was first in line for 3rd tall position.

He only played 2 VFL games forward and was great in both (I don't think as a defender he's looked as good at VFL), struggled at AFL level in games we lost badly. If he starts in the VFL as a forward next year and continues to regularly kick goals we'll know if he's the guy to replace gunston or not.

I thought he looked pretty good Forward against Melbourne too could have had 2-3 goals easy and was up the ground taking marks. I think if Gunston didn't come back with Kosi and Sticks leaving we'd probably just assume he was first in line for 3rd tall position.

He only played 2 VFL games forward and was great in both (I don't think as a defender he's looked as good at VFL), struggled at AFL level in games we lost badly. If he starts in the VFL as a forward next year and continues to regularly kick goals we'll know if he's the guy to replace gunston or not.
I am hoping this is the plan but the training reports seem to suggest that he is playing as a defender in the mini games. So maybe there is a change of plans.

There is also talk about his lack of endurance over last season and even start of pre-season here. Not sure if he had a bout of covid, if he did maybe he has effects of some form of long covid. Hope club is considering this angle and looking at solutions from around teh world on how other sportspeople who had a similar effect have recovered.

Sport comes second to health and if his endurance issues are recent, then club needs to reassess & see how he can get back to his normal self.

I want every player to succeed, but I have to say I never wanted to draft DGB.

Unlike Watson, who I love, but wanted to take w a later pick. DGB just didn’t appeal to me in his draft highlights. Similar to C.O’Sullivan - I just didn’t see it.

I am hoping this is the plan but the training reports seem to suggest that he is playing as a defender in the mini games. So maybe there is a change of plans.

There is also talk about his lack of endurance over last season and even start of pre-season here. Not sure if he had a bout of covid, if he did maybe he has effects of some form of long covid. Hope club is considering this angle and looking at solutions from around teh world on how other sportspeople who had a similar effect have recovered.

Sport comes second to health and if his endurance issues are recent, then club needs to reassess & see how he can get back to his normal self.
His lack of a tank isn't a new issue, it sucked when he was drafted. Don't think it is anything like that, just coming from a very low base and something he needs to work on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back