Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires vote on this award. It barely has much more credibility than the media voted awards. The only reason it’s ahead is because you know they’ve at least watched what they voted on.

That looks like a very low team total.
It didn't help us that when we did win we had fairly even performances, like the Port game. That leaves the spots to be taken by bigger disposal getting opposition mids.

Richmond in 2018 is a good example. Clear on top of the ladder but there were a handful of teams who had higher vote counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires vote on this award. It barely has much more credibility than the media voted awards. The only reason it’s ahead is because you know they’ve at least watched what they voted on.
Yep actually having watched the games is a pretty low bar to be better than media awards but still pretty meaningless. Impossible for umpires to see more than who racks up touches - how can they follow the impact of disposals or defensive running?

I find the coaches votes the more informative. And there were some wide discrepancies between Brownlow and coaches votes in many games.

I know that if I won award on the back of votes from every coach in the league I’d be for more chuffed than getting one from umpires or footy commentators(AA).

That being said, Newk looks like he might be an eye catcher for future Brownlows.

I know that if I won award on the back of votes from every coach in the league I’d be for more chuffed than getting one from umpires or footy commentators(AA).

That being said, Newk looks like he might be an eye catcher for future Brownlows.
No idea how the AFLCA MVP isn't the most prestigious award. The AFLPA MVP is a popularity contest and the Brownlow is judged by the umpires who only pick the players they see a lot.

No idea how the AFLCA MVP isn't the most prestigious award. The AFLPA MVP is a popularity contest and the Brownlow is judged by the umpires who only pick the players they see a lot.
you now just learned the power of the media over culture and peoples minds, congrats.

Largely tradition but also we know the winner of the aflca at the end of the year so no point making a big show of it like the Brownlow.

Largely tradition but also we know the winner of the aflca at the end of the year so no point making a big show of it like the Brownlow.
Imagine how much longer it would take to read out the AFLCA votes and then see the 7 commentary team try to figure out which coach voted for what players.

Was at the club today doing run throughs and repeat sprints … by himself so clearly very driven .
also a few you lads already back upstairs in the gym too 👍

What an awesome example he sets.
A fine young man and am very happy we have him at our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back