Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvey's reviews have me feeling more positive about our midfield than Newman's had me feeling about our defence, which is bizarre considering the relative output of both groups.
Did you read Newman's review of Sicily?

Sic had one of the all time great years at CHB and Newman's main take was that he had a "consistent" year coming back from injury 🤣

He's a hard marker is Mr Newman!

Absolutely praying we don't see similar regression for Jai after a massive breakout season ala Worps.

If he can continue this sort of play he's definitely going to be the cornerstone to our future midfield. He's already our most impactful midfielder, we were 5-2 in games where newcombe had 27+ touches (arbitrary stat I know, but when he's getting a lot of it, it generally bodes well for our winning chances). In games where Jai got 7+ clearances we were 3-1, only loss a 4 point loss to collingwood.

Build around him

Harvey's reviews have me feeling more positive about our midfield than Newman's had me feeling about our defence, which is bizarre considering the relative output of both groups.
To be fair, we are bottom four for defence and tenth of offence. I don’t think our defence is as good as people think it is. The sun of the parts is greater than the sun of the whole right now.

To be fair, we are bottom four for defence and tenth of offence. I don’t think our defence is as good as people think it is. The sun of the parts is greater than the sun of the whole right now.
Our defence is under the pump due to the utter shitness of our centre bounce work.

Our defence is under the pump due to the utter shitness of our centre bounce work.
No doubt that is a factor in performance but it didn’t stop us scoring and our score involvements are dominated by forwards and inside mids (like most teams). We give up a lot of goals because our defenders don’t exit cleanly and it goes straight back in.

Might also explain why our Defense works and our Midfield does not! No doubt Harvey knows his stuff, but might be too nice.
I'd say these short player reviews are probably more for the fans than the players themselves. Harvey perhaps a bit better at spruiking the players. Newman perhaps might want to consider hiring Dom as his ghostwriter.

I'd say these short player reviews are probably more for the fans than the players themselves. Harvey perhaps a bit better at spruiking the players. Newman perhaps might want to consider hiring Dom as his ghostwriter.
Maybe Dom is busy ghostwriting for Harvey?

Maybe Dom is busy ghostwriting for Harvey?

hide GIF

Mate our midfield gives easy entry and the ball goes into the d50 307x a game, our defence does bloody well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-defence too many half back runners who wanna tuck the ball under their arms and go for a trot to be more attacking but not enough man-ing up in D50!!! Need to tighten that up before we're going anywhere near the top 4-6 . Sam has mentioned "maturity" a few times throughout the year and I think this is one of the areas in need of big improvement.

Mate our midfield gives easy entry and the ball goes into the d50 307x a game, our defence does bloody well
As I posted above, the midfield is obviously a factor there but the defence gets exposed often. And they frequently turn it over coming out of defence and cause repeat entries. We struggle against big high marking players and I’m underwhelmed by our ability at ground level. Sicily, Hardwick and day can defend and attack but mostly the rest only do one of those two things. Anyway probably should talk about jai…who is in our midfield 😉

As I posted above, the midfield is obviously a factor there but the defence gets exposed often. And they frequently turn it over coming out of defence and cause repeat entries. We struggle against big high marking players and I’m underwhelmed by our ability at ground level. Sicily, Hardwick and day can defend and attack but mostly the rest only do one of those two things. Anyway probably should talk about jai…who is in our midfield 😉
I agree this year we've had issues getting the ball out cleanly, but I'm willing to put that down to a couple of things - our ruck issues meaning less representation up field and continuity issues on the half back line. We had a lot of players rotate in and out of that defensive unit which coincided with us giving up bigger scores; understandable given we had all of day, Impey, DGB, CJ, Frost, Bramble and Blanck miss significant parts of the season for various reason. Have a more consistent and balanced back 6 next year and I think that tightens up significantly.

Irrespective of all that I think 2 of our probably top 5 players were defenders and the way Newman spoke about them was just a bit more dispassionate than Harvey. Supporters don't necessarily want to know how many disposals a defender got, or how many games they played.

A lot has been said about needing a gorilla defender (hopefully the very promising Blanck but to my mind we are missing a player or 2 who don't panic in defence in tight and can think their way through congestion by run, hand or foot. Perhaps a player with great lateral movement with great awareness. Granted the defence was often under the pump and that definitely would affect composure. Sounds like I'm talking about Sam Mitchell

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot has been said about needing a gorilla defender (hopefully the very promising Blanck but to my mind we are missing a player or 2 who don't panic in defence in tight and can think their way through congestion by run, hand or foot. Perhaps a player with great lateral movement with great awareness. Granted the defence was often under the pump and that definitely would affect composure. Sounds like I'm talking about Sam Mitchell

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds like Bramble circa 2021. He was exactly that type of player.

Does Duke get his 3rd year on the rookie list next year?

Imagine he's due for a massive pay rise once this current contract is up. Gee, didn't we get a bargain

Aren't rookie list wages outside the cap?

Sign him up to a 5yr, 600k contract. Pay him 2 million in 2023, and 250k for rest of contract

Does Duke get his 3rd year on the rookie list next year?

Imagine he's due for a massive pay rise once this current contract is up. Gee, didn't we get a bargain
Insane to think that Moore and Newcombe are two of our top 3 or 4 players this year and they're both on the rookie list.

Reckon they both get senior listed and a healthy bump of cashola.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back