Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got a Dees supporting sister who watches Hawks games sometimes, including the two most recent - didn't know who Newcombe was when I mentioned him last night. I was a bit shocked but made me realise that he's still under the radar, somehow. Then again, I have a longtime friend who's always said he was a Hawks supporter (admittedly footy isn't a big passion of his). I invited him around for a game about 3 years ago and he asked who a certain player was (Burgoyne). Even worse his young son had got the bizarre idea into his head that the Hawks got rid of Hodge because he was a cheat. Silently gobsmacked in all 3 instances. 🤣
Your friend isn't a Hawthorn supporter. They're a Hawthorn admirer.

To add to Buckley, Damo been pumping him up on Triple M and AFL website a bit over the last 1.5 weeks too. Feel a growing movement for him for the rising star. The media are a bit like sheep, will only take 2 or 3 to move the narrative.

Having said all that, Nick Martin is in some sort of form. Averaging 22 touches and kicked 10 goals.

I've got a Dees supporting sister who watches Hawks games sometimes, including the two most recent - didn't know who Newcombe was when I mentioned him last night. I was a bit shocked but made me realise that he's still under the radar, somehow. Then again, I have a longtime friend who's always said he was a Hawks supporter (admittedly footy isn't a big passion of his). I invited him around for a game about 3 years ago and he asked who a certain player was (Burgoyne). Even worse his young son had got the bizarre idea into his head that the Hawks got rid of Hodge because he was a cheat. Silently gobsmacked in all 3 instances. 🤣
Change of friends is as good as change of scenery.

It's funny. In the highlights video you actually see Worpel feeding him quite a bit and vice versa.

Looking at the the reel, you'd think Worpel had a great game

Worpel was really good in the first half, besides a few poor kicks which unfortunately we expect.

My Nan has been a Hawks fan her whole life and is the one who got me to support them when I was 6 over the Bulldogs (who Dad supports).

Her takes are always hilarious because she is very old school but occasionally absolutely nails her observations on certain players and their potential. One Sunday we had a Mothers Day lunch and she was fuming at the loss, but made sure to mention how much she loves 'number 44 and number 13, they're just so good'. She never lets commentary or media shape her opinion on a player either, so I'm impressed that she's realised how important Duke and Moorey have been on her own.

To add to Buckley, Damo been pumping him up on Triple M and AFL website a bit over the last 1.5 weeks too. Feel a growing movement for him for the rising star. The media are a bit like sheep, will only take 2 or 3 to move the narrative.

Having said all that, Nick Martin is in some sort of form. Averaging 22 touches and kicked 10 goals.
At this point in time I'd say Duke hedges Martin when you look at the stats of the two, taking footage into account it's probably Duke.
That being said I'd love either of them to win it over JHF and Daicos- both are going to be genuine talents, but right now they're not at the same level as Duke/Martin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duke is an absolute jet. Just keeps getting better and better. Love his composure and instead of always looking to dump a quick kick (like most of our mids do) he looks to breakaway and get it in long and fast.

Genuinely could become a star of the comp.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back