Universal Love Welcome to Hawthorn: Jarman Impey extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

If he is happy and has his head in the right place this will be a really good trade. Our culture and system will suit him and I see this as a really astute pick up. Harder, more creative and instinctive than Billy, I think he'll light it up on the G's big spaces.
They don't play the same position and wont play the same position. Why do people keep comparing the two.

I like this trade, we're desperately short on leg speed which Impey will provide. He may be handy up forward too, and is still young so he fits our rebuild age profile. Relieved we didn't give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder in next year's draft.

Sensational hit rate by Clarko, but Gilham was the only surprise talent wise, in a sanfl game just before he was delisted he had 10 goals kicked on him by a bloke named Fergus Watts, who ended up on the Saints list for a few years, but didn't make the grade.

Brent was a bit of a wild child when he was here, but he always had the talent and he was a magnificent kick. ;)
I really have very limited knowledge of Impey as I've never taken much notice. I will reserve judgment re the trade untill after 2018.

In your opinion, as someone who has seen him play regularly, just how bad are his kicking skills?

We used to almost always draft/trade in players with elite disposal by foot (Goo is a perfect example). It served us well.

Is it a sign of the changing game style of modern football? Or are we just desperate for players with speed to compliment our inside ball winners?

Alastair Clarkson has had four Port Adelaide players join Hawthorn under his coaching tenure who have all gone on to win a Premiership.

2008: Dew, Guerra and Gilham
2013-15: Burgoyne

4/4

Welcome to Hawthorn Jarman Impey. :D
I see what you did there (and I like your thinking!!)

Welcome to the Imp. The 2.5 hour trek up the hume to see his family will hopefully get him in a good headspace.

Clarko was dead keen on this kid, and obviously thinks he can get the best out of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really have very limited knowledge of Impey as I've never taken much notice. I will reserve judgment re the trade untill after 2018.

In your opinion, as someone who has seen him play regularly, just how bad are his kicking skills?

We used to almost always draft/trade in players with elite disposal by foot (Goo is a perfect example). It served us well.

Is it a sign of the changing game style of modern football? Or are we just desperate for players with speed to compliment our inside ball winners?

Jars is a reasonably reliable set shot, but it's his disposal and decision making, particularly after those long runs that are where he can let himself down.

The mail here is Clarko has been very keen on him for some time, and if the kicking problem is technique that should be fixable, improving a player's decision making is obviously a real tough ask.

Re signs of the game changing, to me as an older bloke there was a fair bit of 60's style push the ball forward at all times, and don't get involved in too much finessing about the tiger's gf win eg, but that may have been as much about upsetting their opponent on the day, than an actual long term change.

We probably paid a similar price to what Richmond did to obtain the contracted Josh Caddy.

The deal

Caddy + 56

for

24 + 64

Unfortunately, Impey ain't no Caddy.

i think Geelong wanted to move Caddy which was a big difference with Impey. .

Saw someone mention on a Facebook post that Impey, Rioli and Puopolo could be a triple threat of forward pressure. Along with Breust we could have our own mosquito fleet next season.

Furthermore, I reckon last year when Sicily and Gunston went down back and improved immensely that Clarko could smell another premiership with this list. Impey plugs a hole in our list in terms of leg speed that we desperately needed this year.

If we stay healthy, the rest of the comp should look out...

Hawthorn started the even spread of goal kicking game plan with our mosquito fleet of Breust, Puopolo and Cyril.

They don't play the same position and wont play the same position. Why do people keep comparing the two.
Did I say he would? No. I think Impey will be used in more than one role, his versatility is also an advantage. I do think he will spend a little time in Billy's old position at some point during next season. Have to wait and see hey.

This is what Clarko and Wright do. They target specific role players when they're not going after the A graders. Before you know it, you've got guys like Hardwick and now Impey who complement the Burtons and Mitchells in the team so well that eventually there doesn't seem to be many weak links in the 22 at all. The result... premiership flags. If we pay a little over, that's okay, as long as we keep progressing towards our goal.

You've got a very unique player on your hands. Athletic skill-set with pretty amazing lateral movement, but can't kick. Could be a gun for you, could be a fizzer. Hope he's a gun.
Hawthorn don't picK up players who can't kick unless they see something they think they can fix .

I'm glad we have the speed.

Agreed but for mine its not just the speed, but the hardness as well.

I don't mean to be offensive or generalising here, and I know that I am doing that - but I've felt theres something about some of our players that has been giving off that private schooled, had every opportunity growing up, cushioned feel this year . Let me say there is nothing wrong with that. Its just a different experience. But there needs to be balance. And when the going gets tough I think you need some fierceness from somewhere or someone who knows that fierceness better than those other ones, because without it he wouldn't have had the same opportunities.

So not just hardness at the ball, but hardness in our dynamic. Hardness as in people who have seen or experienced enough to put 'going hard at the ball' into perspective.

People who can add to the culture through their diverse experience yet common goals.

Looking forward to the chapter ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back