News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, those saying Jon going in to hospital is a cop out, do you know how hard it is to get a mental health bed in a hospital (even private), unless you already have a mental health plan, or you've been attended by emergency services?
A mental health plan can take months to be implemented, and you can't just walk up to a hospital on mental health grounds.

He's either self harmed, or he has been seeking treatment before all this.

Hardly a cop out

Has anyone on here actually said that? I can't see anything. I read some stuff in the rumours thread but.

I feel it's been a pretty respectful conversation in here... surprisingly. Ha.

As a club we are in a players market, and how we manage and take care of them in these moments is paramount to good culture and the continual need to find/add players to the list.

For that reason alone, I do not think we will just tear up his contract and toss him.
Well yes, in 99% of cases this is true. But I really don’t think prospective players will have an issue if Hawthorn fail to stand behind Patton. If anything, our ‘drawing card’ as the family club is at stake if Hawthorn don’t appropriately deal with Patton.

no players would think negatively about the Swans tearing up Elijah Taylor’s contract, this is a similar situation.

SYL - read the room mate...he is goneski.

Just matter of timing now - Hawks look for window when other news takes headline and he becomes an afterthought.

He needs to admit to his role in this pallava and ask for rehab, otherwise he will not change.
On the available evidence of what he has done, I think he’s in a word of trouble and he’ll have to own it, but as to him being a certainty to be moved on, I’m not so sure.

How would we rehabilitate Patton. He knows what he was doing was wrong, there is no doubt he knew all along.

What can he possibly do to prove to the club and the footballing world that he's been rehabilitated?

How would we rehabilitate Patton. He knows what he was doing was wrong, there is no doubt he knew all along.

What can he possibly do to prove to the club and the footballing world that he's been rehabilitated?
I doubt he can do that in a year. Best he walks away from football to get the help he needs.

To be fair, some of the biggest bombshells of all this are screenshots of texts from who I assume are people that know him / team mates, describing the extent of his behaviour. If it’s remotely true, the boy has some problems.

If your assumptions are correct, then these people are also partly responsible by their non actions in not calling him out on it sooner.

unfortunately if Jon has been sending lewd messages without consent, he is not alone in being guilty of it. I know a lot of people where on nearly a daily occurrence that they have received images from both male and female perpetrators. Until this predatory behaviour is no longer tolerated in society, and the perpetrators are called out and made accountable for it, it will continue to be a thing. The women that are finally speaking out about it, in all likelihood have previously been sent other lewd pictures of other people that don’t have the name recognition as Jon Patton.

with the media exposure this has brought, hopefully it will make him realise that this behaviour is unacceptable and hopefully the law catches up, where in general society this is no longer tolerated.

I can’t see the club terminating his contract, but I can see him being indefinitely suspended until he has completed some kind of counselling course.

There seems to be a lot of posts round here referring to Pattons form, weight, injuries, etc, and that this is an easy out for us.

I think this is a completely different issue to what’s happening on field, particularly when you learn it’s been happening since he was a kid.

If he’s goneski, which I think he is, we have to accept that any other player on our list, including Will Day and JOM would also go down for this exact same stuff, and therefore his form is completely irrelevant.
I am sure that there are other players (all clubs) out there that are sweating on the outcome of what happens to Patton.

Just guessing... Groveling public apology, a year out of the game with a significant stint in a sex addict rehab centre, community service moving forward.. This all of course if he avoids legal issues as well..

Maybe call up a few of the boys, get a feel for what they enjoy doing. I wonder if anyone even picked up a phone and made some calls.

We make such point of bringing in strong characters to the club, this would be a massive wake up call to some senior members at our club. Wright would just be overseeing data in and trusting what is presented, same for clarko.

Based on everything coming out this is so much worst than is being presented.
Patton is friends with and has travelled with O'Meara. I'd imagine the club would have reasonable confidence in someone who is close to one of the more respected leaders on our list (as we were with Coniglio). I don't think Hawthorn can be blamed for not knowing Patton was a grub.

What is the role of the family club? To boot people after they stuff up, or work with them to rehabilitate and become a better person?
Protecting your family is the first thing you do isn't it?
The HFC is not the head office of Lifeline!
A mutually agreed parting of club and player will be on the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patton is friends with and has travelled with O'Meara. I'd imagine the club would have reasonable confidence in someone who is close to one of the more respected leaders on our list (as we were with Coniglio). I don't think Hawthorn can be blamed for not knowing Patton was a grub.
Would be a pretty big concern to me if a senior player was sweeping something under the rug and not being 100% honest in his assessment. "oh yer his just like that, hell be right" type attitude is how you end up a rabble and with a fractured playing group. This should be a big wake up call for coaches and staff. (Imagine what any of the player's parents would be thinking of any of the new kids if they saw all the stuff he was doing)

I'm pretty strong on this now based on everything seen, and if he is back at the club in any capacity would just be a stain on our culture. Sure get the guy some help cause he sorely needs it but far far away from hawthorn.

Hawthorn is directly to blame, otherwise we don't own our mistakes, which is essentially bombers, Melbourne of old etc

Would be a pretty big concern to me if a senior player was sweeping something under the rug and not being 100% honest in his assessment. "oh yer his just like that, hell be right" type attitude is how you end up a rabble and with a fractured playing group. This should be a big wake up call for coaches and staff. (Imagine what any of the player's parents would be thinking of any of the new kids if they saw all the stuff he was doing)

I'm pretty strong on this now based on everything seen, and if he is back at the club in any capacity would just be a stain on our culture. Sure get the guy some help cause he sorely needs it but far far away from hawthorn.

Hawthorn is directly to blame, otherwise we don't own our mistakes, which is essentially bombers, Melbourne of old etc
I don't agree that the club is to blame for Patton's actions, any more than I would be if one of my employees was doing that in their own private time. They don't get to read his text messages. But I do agree that he should be moved on because footy clubs have the ability to do so (not all businesses would for behaviour that is completely outside of work like this).

There seems to be a lot of posts round here referring to Pattons form, weight, injuries, etc, and that this is an easy out for us.

I think this is a completely different issue to what’s happening on field, particularly when you learn it’s been happening since he was a kid.

If he’s goneski, which I think he is, we have to accept that any other player on our list, including Will Day and JOM would also go down for this exact same stuff, and therefore his form is completely irrelevant.
I would hope the club would do this. It’s nice to have our club up and winning. But to me, winning isn’t as important as the club standing up to this sort of behaviour.

But alas I know horrid behaviour is tolerated within the AFL as long as the player is good enough as the ‘boys club’ will protect them at all costs. And the punishment for stars is significantly lighter.

Saying all that, the club should definitely support JP off the field to get him the help he needs to correct his actions. At least to try and prevent him hurting anyone else. But his career at hawthorn from a playing perspective should be done.

I don't agree that the club is to blame for Patton's actions, any more than I would be if one of my employees was doing that in their own private time. They don't get to read his text messages. But I do agree that he should be moved on because footy clubs have the ability to do so (not all businesses would for behaviour that is completely outside of work like this).
I mean the club is to blame for not being aware of the issue, what he or anyone else chooses to do in their own time is up to them.

Based on everything coming out i definitely think we have a culture issue now

I mean the club is to blame for not being aware of the issue, what he or anyone else chooses to do in their own time is up to them.

How is the Patton issue meaning we have a culture issue?

The club is to blame for what a player is doing on their phone outside the walls of the club? That is a rather onerous level of accountability you want the club to have over player behaviour. The club really can't be blamed for Patton being a/sending a dick.

The stories I have been told about what Buddy did to women make Patton's infractions minor in comparison - nobody was saying we had a culture issue in those glory days. Some footy players (and men in general) tend to have issues in the way they treat and interact with women - I honestly don't think that means there is a culture issue at the club. Players would be constantly lectured about this kind of thing - does that mean they are going to listen? The amount of 'don't do this/don't do that' HR sessions I have been to in the corporate world don't stop people acting depraved in work settings. Clubs can only do so much - there comes a point where players have to take the brunt of the responsibility for their actions.

The club is to blame for what a player is doing on their phone outside the walls of the club? That is a rather onerous level of accountability you want the club to have over player behaviour. The club really can't be blamed for Patton being a/sending a dick.

The stories I have been told about what Buddy did to women make Patton's infractions minor in comparison - nobody was saying we had a culture issue in those glory days. Some footy players (and men in general) tend to have issues in the way they treat and interact with women - I honestly don't think that means there is a culture issue at the club. Players would be constantly lectured about this kind of thing - does that mean they are going to listen? The amount of 'don't do this/don't do that' HR sessions I have been to in the corporate world don't stop people acting depraved in work settings. Clubs can only do so much - there comes a point where players have to take the brunt of the responsibility for their actions.
missed you posts Ned

All it takes is one bad egg, and we let in a bad one.

This isn't like a young player doing some silly things, this is a mature recruit with 3 knee recos spending 80% of his time being a dirty grub (not even talking about the pics).

We have a culture issue because our leadership group for the past 3 years has been poor on the field and on top of that senior staff are letting in people who no organisation would ever hire.

We don't run a club for a participation trophy and rehabilitation over players indiscretions off the field. If this is the level of accountability the club accepts well oh boy are we in for some rough years.

All it takes is one bad egg, and we let in a bad one.

This isn't like a young player doing some silly things, this is a mature recruit with 3 knee recos spending 80% of his time being a dirty grub (not even talking about the pics).

We have a culture issue because our leadership group for the past 3 years has been poor on the field and on top of that senior staff are letting in people who no organisation would ever hire.

We don't run a club for a participation trophy and rehabilitation over players indiscretions off the field. If this is the level of accountability the club accepts well oh boy are we in for some rough years.

Well if you’re just going to make up statistics like ‘spending 80% of his time being a dirty grub’ you’re just arguing in bad faith.

This information has only just come to light and you’re honestly accusing people at the club for not having the prescience of knowing what Patton was getting up to in the private messages of apps? Honestly - no club is going to demand a player hand over their phone for a forensic investigation as part of the recruitment process. This really isn’t on the club.

You’re back!

Well if you’re just going to make up statistics like ‘spending 80% of his time being a dirty grub’ you’re just arguing in bad faith.

This information has only just come to light and you’re honestly accusing people at the club for not having the prescience of knowing what Patton was getting up to in the private messages of apps? Honestly - no club is going to demand a player hand over their phone for a forensic investigation as part of the recruitment process. This really isn’t on the club.
I think the point he’s trying to make is that if the rumours in the most recent texts flying around are true, everyone around him would have known. Almost impossible not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back