Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering how long KPFs take to develop, Lewis has shown as much as you could hope for at the stage of development. In fact, Even if he was a first round draft pick, you'd be happy on what he has shown thus far. The fact that he was an unknown pick is the only reason outside of us that no one is really paying much attention to him. I am extremely excited about Lewis. I reckon he is the best prospect on our list including Worpel, Scrim and Ross

With young talls you definitely have to go just off just glimpses when they are raw, but Lewis has shown more than that. In fact compare him to Buddy and Roughy, both were extremely inconsistent at the same stage. Buddy would go missing for large chunks then do something awesome every now and then, And Roughy was a little more tentative. Some were questioning early if Rough would live up to it. Outside of Hawthorn - same with Tom Hawkins, and all 3 took at least 3 seasons to start showing good form. Hawkins was about 4-5.

Also look at Eric Hipwood. Showed glimpses of his talent but kind of remained at that for a while, and is only now starting to establish himself as a gun KPF. He's 2 seasons ahead of Lewis.

It's early days, but in my opinion Lewis has shown as much if not more than all of the above had at the same point. So far, he has demonstrated extremely good hands vs established defenders, clean-ness off the deck, athletic abilty, workrate (especially V pies), one %ers and clever handballs to set up goals. Also for Box Hill last season, he has shown that he has X factor too and the ability to slot a goal on the run or from the boundary. So far you'd have to be absolutely rapt with how he is going. He looks every bit a 10 year KPF prospect. If he was a top 10 draft pick the press would be all over it. Instead they are too busy fapping over blokes like Andy Mcgrath who were high draft picks but continue to deliver absolutely f**k all.

Also, is it a coincidence that this gem we seem to have nailed from pick 70 at the time that we did bares the name that he does? Negative. This is meant to be folks. Jump on the bandwagon. Kids gonna be a gun
I just fainted

Big afternoon for Mitch and our young forwards. There's a buzz coming from that group of MHL, Glimpses, Hanrahan and even Nash.

All had moments today, and have shown prior to this match that they have the tools to make it.

Mitch was close to a fiver, but three is his best return yet if I'm not mistaken.
Evidence suggests 3 is his favourite number.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Big afternoon for Mitch and our young forwards. There's a buzz coming from that group of MHL, Glimpses, Hanrahan and even Nash.

Pretty up sums up the game 4 me. Oly has sublime skills but did disappear a bit which is fine given his age and games. Nash is the best tall first option handball in the league. Lewis get's better as the game goes on, he just runs his opponents into the ground fitness wise. However I think it was Lewis' last goal, Hanrahan led to the boundary, Nash waited til he took his player out and took his opponent and a follower right behind Oly. Lewis said give it to me and then duly marked it once Oly and Nash had cleared 3 players. They knew how to open up space the first two, Lewis knows how to run over to his mates and thank them. He is the future, but he's also bloody good bloke in thanking his team mates for their work. Meanwhile TOB takes the first quarter apart, then runs more David Hale plays to knock the ball out of bounds than anyone since well David Hale. That's what wins you games these days. Playing percentages. He did it well. 3 kids and veteran 50 gamer in TOB... they worked for each other well.

All had moments today, and have shown prior to this match that they have the tools to make it.

Mitch was close to a fiver, but three is his best return yet if I'm not mistaken.
Force of habit there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he also held his own in the ruck. Didn't offer heaps, but again, didn't get comprehensively beaten too often.

Reckong it's one thing to be clunking them at full forward, another for a young bloke to be covering as much ground as he did and then also competing well in the ruck. Really liking the signs.

There was a poster on here a few weeks back who was smugly sfellowing that people on here were excited about this kid.

Hope you’re presently eating your words as a side dish to some humble pie.

He’s come back far better for it
Yep reckon he needed a lighter load and to work on a couple of things, he's come back much stronger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back