Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermie makes a good point in that we should be looking to bulk Lewis up as much as his body can cope.

At his height (199cm) and build he could easily carry 105 to 110kg and still be mobile. Not many full backs can handle that kind of package!

It's a criticism I have had of our conditioning team in general these last 5 years, we have seemingly been fixated on dropping the kilos of our players which allows other teams the physically bully us on the field.

Dermie makes a good point in that we should be looking to bulk Lewis up as much as his body can cope.

At his height (199cm) and build he could easily carry 105 to 110kg and still be mobile. Not many full backs can handle that kind of package!

It's a criticism I have had of our conditioning team in general these last 5 years, we have seemingly been fixated on dropping the kilos of our players which allows other teams the physically bully us on the field.
Lewis got too heavy this offseason and wasnt able to cover the ground

Lewis got too heavy this offseason and wasnt able to cover the ground
I read that story as well.

I think the issue is he tried to it on a crazy amount of weight in a short period of time which is tough on your body.

I'm talking about putting a couple of kilos each pre season so he goes from 100kg now to say 106kg in 3 seasons time.

He's very good now but if he gets even bigger and stronger he could dominate this league.

He and Dgb should spend the summer together eating and lifting.

I read that story as well.

I think the issue is he tried to it on a crazy amount of weight in a short period of time which is tough on your body.

I'm talking about putting a couple of kilos each pre season so he goes from 100kg now to say 106kg in 3 seasons time.

He's very good now but if he gets even bigger and stronger he could dominate this league.
He is averaging 3 goals game

He is pretty close to dominating at the moment

When we play the easier sides, he will be in the coleman race

Need him to be able to play CHF, not just deep forward. No chance he can cover 14km+ if he's 110kg.

*I agree with your following post, that 1kg - 2kg per pre-season is probably achievable, but over the course of a season, I'd much rather him be 2kg too light than 2kg too heavy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consider that we took this bloke with the last live pick in the 2016 draft. Pick 76.
The pick we got from WCE for Sam Mitchell. Who then came back to coach our side.
Then consider in that same draft that WCE took Venables (13, now retired), Rotham (37) and W Rioli (52). Neither of whom are in the same class as Lewis.
Hawthorn taking the piss again.

Consider that we took this bloke with the last live pick in the 2016 draft. Pick 76.
The pick we got from WCE for Sam Mitchell. Who then came back to coach our side.
Then consider in that same draft that WCE took Venables (13, now retired), Rotham (37) and W Rioli (52). Neither of whom are in the same class as Lewis.
Hawthorn taking the piss again.
You win some you lose some. Out of contract at years end I believe .

Need him to be able to play CHF, not just deep forward. No chance he can cover 14km+ if he's 110kg.

*I agree with your following post, that 1kg - 2kg per pre-season is probably achievable, but over the course of a season, I'd much rather him be 2kg too light than 2kg too heavy.
Yeh 110kg is probably too much but if he can get to say 105kg over the next couple of years that would take him to the next level in my opinion.

Buddy has always aged at around the 103 to 105kg mark and he is the same height as Lewis and Budweiser never struggled to get around the ground (admittedly he is an athletic freak in that regard)

Yeh 110kg is probably too much but if he can get to say 105kg over the next couple of years that would take him to the next level in my opinion.

Buddy has always aged at around the 103 to 105kg mark and he is the same height as Lewis and Budweiser never struggled to get around the ground (admittedly he is an athletic freak in that regard)
Not sure adding weight would help his game at this point. Not saying it wouldn't. I just don't see it as something holding him back. I can't recall him getting ragdolled or beaten severely in a wrestling match with a defender this year. A lot of his best work has been leaping for marks. Adding weight may hamper his ability to get as high and also puts more pressure on his joints when landing.

Averaging 3.0 goals a game currently which puts him in the top echelon of forwards this year. I expect that average to grow this year as we take on the weaker sides we haven't got to play yet, and longer term as he gains experience.

Core strength is much more important than kegs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back