Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lewis is seriously improving, and has been so since the back half of last year. He's a fantastic contested mark but he's also mobile and can cover the ground, a trait valued by Hawthorn. It's great to see him kicking bags in multiple games as when he's firing he looks a weapon (albeit in practice games)

He still has quiet periods where he doesn't impact, but he's closing the gap between his best and his worst and is looking extremely promising. Don't think he's ready just yet but I think he'll make it. Another year in the system to build up his body and work on his craft, and he'd be my breakout pick for 2019.

Eric Hipwood is running around in the seniors, can't be less physically mature than he is!
Running around in a bottom 2 side bereft of forwards.

Lewis needs to keep doing what he's doing at VFL level to have a chance of knocking out Roughy or Schoey.

Another bag of 3 for Box Hill. He might make me eat my words. 198cm and 92kg. Wonder how accurate that is.

He looks more solidly built than that and isn't as easy to move as other lanky youngsters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Running around in a bottom 2 side bereft of forwards.

Lewis needs to keep doing what he's doing at VFL level to have a chance of knocking out Roughy or Schoey.
This gets extra points from me for the uses of the word bereft, I would have also marked this highly if you have used the word devoid.

I was watching the highlights reel on youtube for the game on sunday.. is this the big unit that was smashing people out of his way while taking contested marks? That was impressive to watch.

If we can make something of a tall I’d be impressed. We haven’t really done it for a few years if we’re honest. Frawls, Hale, Gibson, Lake, Hale and Gunston were all traded in. Who was the last tall player we drafted who came good?

I think the answer is probably Buddy and/or Ruff.

If we can make something of a tall I’d be impressed. We haven’t really done it for a few years if we’re honest. Frawls, Hale, Gibson, Lake, Hale and Gunston were all traded in. Who was the last tall player we drafted who came good?

I think the answer is probably Buddy and/or Ruff.
To be fair, about half those guys only came good once they got here (eg. Hale, Gibson, Ceglar). And arguably the rest improved or recaptured good form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back