Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

I can only imagine how many more wins we’d have if he’s not had the knee strain(2 more at a minimum)

At the risk of putting the mozz on him, he’s having a great year after his return from injury.

He’s elite for:
shots on goal
disposals
score involvements
marks inside 50
marks on the lead
total marks
goal assists

Averages 2.7 goals a game too, which is very good going.

Massive tick for the coaches that the whole team has improved their vision and hand balling to advantage. Lewis has come on out of sight in that area, we're so much better for it after almost not being able to hit a moving target by hand for a good half decade or so.

I believe you require a lot of luck to win premierships. You need peak players, plus things to go smoothly. I don't think we win a premiership without Mitch continuing to build skills and physicality. That won't happen focusing primarily on fitness. We may look better than we did the last 8 weeks of the year if he goes at 50% and doesn't get injured, but we won't win a premiership.
My view is that right now we have a top 3 power forward in the league, even if he doesn't improve one iota and just maintains his current form. If he plays 20 games a season he could easily kick 50+ goals.

To me for Mitch it's not about improvement, it's about keeping him on the field. Because when he's not we look a 5 goal (at minimum) worse side.

I know there isn't much you can do about in game impact injuries but I just want to minimise any potential out of game injury risk.

My view is that right now we have a top 3 power forward in the league, even if he doesn't improve one iota and just maintains his current form. If he plays 20 games a season he could easily kick 50+ goals.

To me for Mitch it's not about improvement, it's about keeping him on the field. Because when he's not we look a 5 goal (at minimum) worse side.

I know there isn't much you can do about in game impact injuries but I just want to minimise any potential out of game injury risk.
I was worried about them bringing him straight back into the senior side after his time out with injury and really wanted to see a gradual build up through BH. I am pleasantly surprised that coming straight back in hasn't created any niggles that we know of. I just hope he keeps the body active over the bye and we get the best of him for the run home ... He deserved a good run at it and some recognition outside of Hawthorn as to how how good his best is.

Incredible how good he is.
I was thinking about how fluent his set shot routine is to go with his beautiful kicking action which doesn’t change from anywhere up to 55m from goal

Is there any better in the game currently in that regard other than Tex?

I was thinking about how fluent his set shot routine is to go with his beautiful kicking action which doesn’t change from anywhere up to 55m from goal

Is there any better in the game currently in that regard other than Tex?
2MP from Essendon has a lovely set shot routine as well.

Not many others, set shot for goals is becoming somewhat of a lost art.

Mitch Lewis currently one of our 2 players (along with Breust) in the top 20 goal kickers in the AFL despite playing 14 games with all others playing a minimum of 18. Impressive return, can't wait for the bloke to have a full season.

Mitch Lewis currently one of our 2 players (along with Breust) in the top 20 goal kickers in the AFL despite playing 14 games with all others playing a minimum of 18. Impressive return, can't wait for the bloke to have a full season.
Top 6 for goals per game average, better than porkins and basically the same as Cameron and Larkey.

Unquestionably a 60+ goal talent forward, so hoping to see an injury free year, but curious to know what others expectations are of him 2024. Just turned 25 so prime age for that real break out year and crucial to how we go this year. I personally love his work up the ground as much as his role deep in attack, so hoping we play him more in the traditional CHF role than stay home forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest ? Can he stay fit for a full season?
We dream of him putting together an All Australian squad level season. He has the talent. We've seen it in patches.
He's seemed flat during the 2 pre season hit outs. Not sure why.

Our immediate future rest in his hands almost as much as any other player.

Unquestionably a 60+ goal talent forward, so hoping to see an injury free year, but curious to know what others expectations are of him 2024. Just turned 25 so prime age for that real break out year and crucial to how we go this year. I personally love his work up the ground as much as his role deep in attack, so hoping we play him more in the traditional CHF role than stay home forward.
I'd be happy with 30 goals but playing as a genuine CHF. Getting 20 odd touches per game but providing a much needed contest on the wing, which in turn opens up the forward line. Pretty much play the role we wanted kozi to play

Will be happy if Mitchell Lewis starts showing some form for this season. Looking less than imposing, at present.

He's playing like he wants to avoid getting injured (again). Concerning. Especially when we know he's potentially one of the most explosive, pack-splitting big forwards in the game.

He's playing like he wants to avoid getting injured (again). Concerning. Especially when we know he's potentially one of the most explosive, pack-splitting big forwards in the game.

Is he though?
His best work has always been working up the ground in a traditional CHF role.
I've never seen him stand up as a pack-crashing forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back