Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Ned Long (15 disposals, 6 tackles, 1 goal)​

“For his high standards, Longy had a quiet first half. We tried to play him down forward, and as our second ruckman this week, but he was a but quiet down there. So in the second half we decided to get him involved in the game, and brought him up as a midfielder and he started getting his hands on the footy – he had eight disposals in the third quarter to kick start his game. In that second half he showed really promising signs playing as a midfielder.”

“For his high standards, Longy had a quiet first half. We tried to play him down forward, and as our second ruckman this week, but he was a but quiet down there. So in the second half we decided to get him involved in the game, and brought him up as a midfielder and he started getting his hands on the footy – he had eight disposals in the third quarter to kick start his game. In that second half he showed really promising signs playing as a midfielder.”

Just need him to work on the forward part of his game if he can get this up to the level of what his showing us a midfielder could we see a player that is our version of Bontempelli or Dunkley.

Do we not have a box hill listed ruckman? Cannot believe we are killing players development but not having actual tall people to take ruck contests.

Do we not have a box hill listed ruckman? Cannot believe we are killing players development but not having actual tall people to take ruck contests.
David (DBR) is our primary ruck at BHH. I don't think Long had too many contests in the ruck but clearly struggled in the ruck/forward role.

I'd like to see Long have a full game as an inside midfielder. He was Tom Green like in the 3rd quarter around the contest.

David (DBR) is our primary ruck at BHH. I don't think Long had too many contests in the ruck but clearly struggled in the ruck/forward role.

I'd like to see Long have a full game as an inside midfielder. He was Tom Green like in the 3rd quarter around the contest.
I haven't seen him play but from the reviews and a few video highlights, I like the Tom Green suggestion. Wouldn't that be nice!!

Anyone know the reason he didnt play on the weekend at box hill? Hoping he gets a game in the second half of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kid definitely deserves a debut. I reckon this coming offseason will be huge for him as he works more on his agility which has been one of the only things that sets him back. Sort that out which is no easy feat then we have a serious player on our hands.

The kid definitely deserves a debut.
Not on form he probably doesn't. But we're not batting very deep right now, so he might get a look.

Not on form he probably doesn't. But we're not batting very deep right now, so he might get a look.
Agree. But did have 24 touches in his last game which was his best performance.
If he debuts, I just want him to land 8 tackles on Miller and he's done his job. I don't care if he doesn't get a kick.

Reckon there’s others we’d want to get a look at before Long (eg Saunders). Outside his last vfl game (against the bottom team) he’s struggled at vfl level for a while.
Yeah, Ned is contracted for next year. No rush to see him play this year.

Can't imagine he's close based on form.

His best game was his most recent, but it was against a bottom VFL team.

His games prior to that:
R17 - DNP
R16 - 7 touches, 1 goal
R15 - 7 touches, 5 tackles
R14 - 8 touches
R13 - bye
R12 - DNP
R11 - DNP
R10 - DNP
R9 - bye

He would have been closer based on form after this run of games:

R8 - 19 touches, 6 marks
R7 - 16 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal
R6 - 11 touches, 6 tackles
R5 - 14 touches, 7 marks, 10 tackles
R4 - bye
R3 - 15 touches, 10 tackles
R2 - 19 touches, 11 tackles
R1 - 12 touches, 4 tackles

Can't imagine he's close based on form.

His best game was his most recent, but it was against a bottom VFL team.

His games prior to that:
R17 - DNP
R16 - 7 touches, 1 goal
R15 - 7 touches, 5 tackles
R14 - 8 touches
R13 - bye
R12 - DNP
R11 - DNP
R10 - DNP
R9 - bye

He would have been closer based on form after this run of games:

R8 - 19 touches, 6 marks
R7 - 16 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal
R6 - 11 touches, 6 tackles
R5 - 14 touches, 7 marks, 10 tackles
R4 - bye
R3 - 15 touches, 10 tackles
R2 - 19 touches, 11 tackles
R1 - 12 touches, 4 tackles
Bear in mind that R16's stats were in the first quarter, he went off with concussion late in the quarter. So last couple of games have been good after a hamstring injury and byes from R9-13.

Bear in mind that R16's stats were in the first quarter, he went off with concussion late in the quarter. So last couple of games have been good after a hamstring injury and byes from R9-13.

Forgot about the concussion.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him play one game before the year is out.

Agreed but prior to him being injured he was stiff to not get a debut
Yep his early season form was much stronger and consistent. He had cracked being an emergency a couple of times.

Since his injury hasn't been at the same level. His last 2 weeks have been trending upwards but I still don't have him as pushing for selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back