Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

"I’m not getting the hype" is by definition negative, as in the absence of optimism. You conceded that before you posted, otherwise you wouldn't have prefaced it with the bit about getting your head bitten off.

Fact remains can say whatever you want, but don't recoil like you've been attacked when someone responds. Public opinion forum and all that.
Didn’t recoil at all
And I started my post with that line because to voice an opinion on here that doesn’t fit the narrative ends up most times with the poster getting their head bitten off
Probably suggest you take a couple of breaths before you respond

FYI.

Some Carlton support had a whinge about Will Day in the Gameday thread yesterday. Saying exactly what Glacier is saying.

I quickly pointed out his mention of Will Day was the first time all thread! LMAO.

Maybe us supportes can try to mention Will Day negative one times next week?

How dare Hawthorn supporters be bullish about a young talented player.

we should just enter every thread and lament how everything is sh*t and we’ll never be any good.

This is funny because with a lot around here its true. Maybe we should all walk around kicking cans.

Muttley_Laughing.gif

Come in
Be negative
Immediately play the victim

Are we writing haikus or something?
Ghost of Tsushima has prepared me for this:

Negative thoughts sprout
The hype on Day he laments
Glacier plays down

Ok
I’ll get my head bitten off here
But I’m not getting the hype
Yes he’s going ok, but I don’t think the hype fits the output just yet
He has potential in spades, but there is a lot of work to come
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I actually don't think your comment is far from what others are saying though.

I don't think anyone has said he is the finished product, but he is a skinny 18/19 year old in his first season who is playing off the HBF/wing, averaging around 15 touches a game, he uses the ball well, does the little things well and shows glimpses of elite talent. Not a single person I've seen has said he's Pendelbury or Fyfe at this point in his career - just that if he does alot of things right (and has a heap of luck) he may become an elite talent in the AFL.

Fair?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I actually don't think your comment is far from what others are saying though.

I don't think anyone has said he is the finished product, but he is a skinny 18/19 year old in his first season who is playing off the HBF/wing, averaging around 15 touches a game, he uses the ball well, does the little things well and shows glimpses of elite talent. Not a single person I've seen has said he's Pendelbury or Fyfe at this point in his career - just that if he does alot of things right (and has a heap of luck) he may become an elite talent in the AFL.

Fair?
Very fair

Ok
Let me point out why he is getting good wraps
He reads the game very well so he already knows where to be and this gives him time. Both these things are traits of the best players. He is a very good judge of the flight and is a good overhead mark. He kicks well off both feet. He is courageous especially so given his slight build atm. Because he reads the game well he is prepared to attack with his kicking and handball. Now considering he cannot be a strong as he will be after a couple of years in the system, everything he is doing now he will get better at with physical maturity. He has all the tools all we have to do is polish him. Does that help you get it?

I feel that for Hawthorn supporters to in some diminish or question his output this year is churlish. Hes come into a club in turmoil and completely in a mess on the field and both performed to a consistently high level but also shown more experienced players what effort and determination are.
I would also say given the circumstances in which he is playing his output outshines the first year of the more highly touted Mcgrath.

I feel that for Hawthorn supporters to in some diminish or question his output this year is churlish. Hes come into a club in turmoil and completely in a mess on the field and both performed to a consistently high level but also shown more experienced players what effort and determination are.
I would also say given the circumstances in which he is playing his output outshines the first year of the more highly touted Mcgrath.
I didn’t diminish or question his output at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He criticised people for getting excited about the potential of a player he acknowledges has plenty of potential.
No he didn’t. He said he thought Day had potential in spades but thought hype on this board (comparing him to generational players like Fyfe, Pendlebury, Hird) might be a tad over the top. Nothing unreasonable about that in the slightest and if you think otherwise you need to stop bathing in your own echo chamber. A petty pile on predictably ensued which he did, it must be said, foresee.

Day is going great. Should be a really good player for us. Could be a real gun. I think he will be. Doesn’t mean someone deserves a pile on if they think it might be premature to suggest he’s a generational talent

I think the reason people are excited is because he’s probably had the best first year an 18 year old has had for us since cyril. Will only get better as his body builds and he becomes more powerful. Could be a scary unit in a few years

Ok

Ok lets take a step back 'I don't think the hype fits the output'. I agree with this statement

What I don't agree with is your assertion that people are relating the hype to his output. With every first year player including Bont, Fyfe and Whitfield in their first year they show they have the tools to be a gun player

Whether Day becomes a gun or not no one really knows, and only time will tell, but what I think the hype is about is that he has shown he has the tools to be a gun player (dual sided, composure, courage, a good step, strong mark, reads play etc).

Let's take a breath all...

I don't think anyone said "He will be as good as Pendlebury" or Hird...

They see that he has qualities which are comparable to what made those players great.

To be an 18 year old with an under-developed physique matching it, and showing genuine talent in multiple areas, is genuinely exciting.

Is that hype? i dunno?

Internet. Serious business

Let's take a breath all...

I don't think anyone said "He will be as good as Pendlebury" or Hird...

They see that he has qualities which are comparable to what made those players great.

To be an 18 year old with an under-developed physique matching it, and showing genuine talent in multiple areas, is genuinely exciting.

Is that hype? i dunno?

Internet. Serious business
He will be better than Pendlebury and Hird

combined

Ok
You say here he as potential in spades.
I didn’t diminish or question his output at all
And here that you are not questioning his output.
Show me where I " condemned " anyone?
So all that is left is that you are being dismissive of what people have said about Day as opposed to anything to do with Day himself.

you Used the word hype to elevate excitement to an over reaction to his performance. That is in no way critiquing anything day has done and directly criticising what other have posted.

If you want to critique something someone has actually said, go ahead and quote them so we know what you are talking about. But if you go and make a blanket statement that potentially criticised everyone who had posted in this thread then don’t complain when people criticise you. You went after other posters en masse. You brought this response on yourself. Be more self aware and engage people with what they are actually saying and you will get a better response.

So you cant show me where I condemned anyone or criticised anyone then?
Ok thanks
The internet, bless it, gives a microphone to all voices. That includes those who will tell you to “* off” for having a really uncontroversial opinion that differs only slightly from their own (ie. you saying that someone’s favourite young footballer has “potential in spades” but that you don’t hold quite the same level of enthusiasm that they do). 🤦🏻‍♂️

So basically saying everyone is overreacting isn’t being dismissive? The response of the board was entirely predictable. You are the one who triggered it and it has nothing to do with your opinion of Day, which is fundamentally no different to anyone else. Stop playing the victim.
Show me where I said that??
I'll wait patiently for you

The internet, bless it, gives a microphone to all voices. That includes those who will tell you to “fu** off” for having a really uncontroversial opinion that differs only slightly from their own (ie. you saying that someone’s favourite young footballer has “potential in spades” but that you don’t hold quite the same level of enthusiasm that they do). 🤦🏻‍♂️
Nah I’m called you out for suggesting different opinions were the cause of the influx of posters question glacier. Nothing to do with any opinion of the player involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back