Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Really think he can be for us what Gresham was on track to be before injuries.

I'd like to see him on the Bailey trajectory, from Brisbane. High energy, line breaking and hits the scoreboard.

Worth remembering that quite a lot of scouts and draft watchers had Butler going a lot earlier, with most thinking the Giants at Pick 15(Twomey included).

Club named him as a mid in their “take a look at the numbers” piece, which may or may not hold some weight.
Will be good to see where he lines up during scrimmages and intraclub.

Get the feeling he'll be a mid down the track.
Hawthorn under Clarko was not very into the mid/forward role. Lewis is probably an exception but I wonder whether this will change under Sammy. All of the first three recruits are either mids who can go forward or, as you say, Butler who may end up as a midfielder.

In our battles with Geelong 2008-2013 I was always a little envious that the Cats had this up their sleeve. Stevie J in particular could ruin my day. But Selwood and Bartel similarly could rip it up forward.

Since then we have seen Danger, Dusty and now Petrracca and Oliver who can do this.

Would love this versatility. Our versatility seemed to be more around having a million players who could go back. Bruest, Rioli, Roughy and Pops did play in the guts a bit but a mid resting forward (the other way around) was pretty rare.

Anyway, Butler looks very likely. Can’t wait to see him in his first game

Hawthorn under Clarko was not very into the mid/forward role. Lewis is probably an exception but I wonder whether this will change under Sammy. All of the first three recruits are either mids who can go forward or, as you say, Butler who may end up as a midfielder.

In our battles with Geelong 2008-2013 I was always a little envious that the Cats had this up their sleeve. Stevie J in particular could ruin my day. But Selwood and Bartel similarly could rip it up forward.

Since then we have seen Danger, Dusty and now Petrracca and Oliver who can do this.

Would love this versatility. Our versatility seemed to be more around having a million players who could go back. Bruest, Rioli, Roughy and Pops did play in the guts a bit but a mid resting forward (the other way around) was pretty rare.

Anyway, Butler looks very likely. Can’t wait to see him in his first game
Luke Hodge won a norm smith medal playing forward, mid and occasionally back. Played the same role v west coast and dominated also. Burgoyne got thrown forward when we needed. Plus we had four forwards to run through the middle. And Lewis played off the hff at times. We could create vastly different matchups and then use our bench to rest the pure mids and wings. Bench rules are a little different now but we had all the flexibility we needed.

Luke Hodge won a norm smith medal playing forward, mid and occasionally back. Played the same role v west coast and dominated also. Burgoyne got thrown forward when we needed. Plus we had four forwards to run through the middle. And Lewis played off the hff at times. We could create vastly different matchups and then use our bench to rest the pure mids and wings. Bench rules are a little different now but we had all the flexibility we needed.
Ah yes Burgers could definitely do it. True. Hodge going forward seemed to be less common though in my memory. It’s like he saved captains goals for the grannies - which was awesome nonetheless

Ah yes Burgers could definitely do it. True. Hodge going forward seemed to be less common though in my memory. It’s like he saved captains goals for the grannies - which was awesome nonetheless
We were too good to waste hodge on home and away matches 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were just gifted with options through the middle in our golden years, hey?

Rioli, Roughead, Burgoyne, Bruest, Puopolo, Hodge, Smith all regularly rotated through centre bounces when their conventional starting position was commonly elsewhere.

We were just gifted with options through the middle in our golden years, hey?

Rioli, Roughead, Burgoyne, Bruest, Puopolo, Hodge, Smith all regularly rotated through centre bounces when their conventional starting position was commonly elsewhere.
Puopolo in the centre?

Cannot for the life of me ever remember him as a starting mid at a centre bounce

Puopolo in the centre?

Cannot for the life of me ever remember him as a starting mid at a centre bounce

im pretty sure i saw him at a few CBAs throughout his career but he definitely attended stoppages higher up the ground at times

he averaged 2-3 clearances a game during 2013

im pretty sure i saw him at a few CBAs throughout his career but he definitely attended stoppages higher up the ground at times

he averaged 2-3 clearances a game during 2013
Clearances from stoppages, sure

Not sure he ever went to a centre bounce, which is what I questioned

Yeah he did 100%, first few years less but rolled through a bit when he was at the peak of his powers. What a little gun, will always be underrated.

Might be a stretch to call him elite, but he certainly had elite years for his position. He was incredibly dangerous and versatile.

Hoping for Sam to develop into a hybrid between Luke Breust, Robbie Gray, Zac Bailey and his brother Dan.

Hoping for Sam to develop into a hybrid between Luke Breust, Robbie Gray, Zac Bailey and his brother Dan.
Why such a low hope?

I am hoping he runs like Issac Smith, is as tough as Dermie, can mark the ball like Peter Knights, is as skillful as Darren Jarman, and has the X factor of Cyril and turns out to be the next Lethal Leigh Matthews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back