Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Cameron Mackenzie had a bad game. There's no denying that. But he should not be dropped, like some on the forums are suggesting. There are many others who should be dropped before him. He has been performing quite well this season despite being played all over the field. He's also one of the only ones who has shown fight and care for the jumper. I mean, he nearly led us to that comeback on Easter Monday playing as a forward, despite the fact that he has hardly ever played as a forward. And where others have faltered when games have been on the line, he has tried his best and been among our best. But for whatever reason, he is still getting only limited minutes in the midfield. He is my favourite player because he is the player who reminds me most of Sam Mitchell. His ability to find time and space in traffic, his class and poise, his decision-making under pressure, his football IQ, the way he kicks, and his ability to find a man that others wouldn't see all remind me greatly of Sam. If Sam plays Newcombe and others as resting forwards, it would give Mackenzie (and Ward) the proper midfield time he needs. And we would be much better off for it. Sure, he is far from the finished article. He needs to improve his tank, no doubt, and that is probably what is holding him back right now, but there is no point sending him back to the VFL, where he dominates and learns next to nothing. And unlike half the team, he does not need a kick up the backside. I hope Sam keeps backing him.

Yes, Cameron Mackenzie had a bad game. There's no denying that. But he should not be dropped, like some on the forums are suggesting. There are many others who should be dropped before him. He has been performing quite well this season despite being played all over the field. He's also one of the only ones who has shown fight and care for the jumper. I mean, he nearly led us to that comeback on Easter Monday playing as a forward, despite the fact that he has hardly ever played as a forward. And where others have faltered when games have been on the line, he has tried his best and been among our best. But for whatever reason, he is still getting only limited minutes in the midfield. He is my favourite player because he is the player who reminds me most of Sam Mitchell. His ability to find time and space in traffic, his class and poise, his decision-making under pressure, his football IQ, the way he kicks, and his ability to find a man that others wouldn't see all remind me greatly of Sam. If Sam plays Newcombe and others as resting forwards, it would give Mackenzie (and Ward) the proper midfield time he needs. And we would be much better off for it. Sure, he is far from the finished article. He needs to improve his tank, no doubt, and that is probably what is holding him back right now, but there is no point sending him back to the VFL, where he dominates and learns next to nothing. And unlike half the team, he does not need a kick up the backside. I hope Sam keeps backing him.
He is averaging 13 disposals, 2 clearances, 5 contested and limited scoreboard impact. He has been quiet for large chunks of the season to date, last week was not a one off.

I agree with a lot of the skills he possesses but i disagree that we are seeing it at AFL level at the moment. Our midfield is getting absolutely smashed at the moment week in week out, something has to change. Newk has had a rough start to the year but clearly still performing better. Worpel has been a big tick for the year.

He is so young and still has so much development in him, it won't kill him to spend a week or two at VFL IF Sam decides that is what is best for the team at the moment. All i know is we can't keep running the same on ball unit and expect to get a different outcome.

He is averaging 13 disposals, 2 clearances, 5 contested and limited scoreboard impact. He has been quiet for large chunks of the season to date, last week was not a one off.

I agree with a lot of the skills he possesses but i disagree that we are seeing it at AFL level at the moment. Our midfield is getting absolutely smashed at the moment week in week out, something has to change. Newk has had a rough start to the year but clearly still performing better. Worpel has been a big tick for the year.

He is so young and still has so much development in him, it won't kill him to spend a week or two at VFL IF Sam decides that is what is best for the team at the moment. All i know is we can't keep running the same on ball unit and expect to get a different outcome.
He's hardly being played in the midfield. The likes of Nash or Newcombe need to go before Mackenzie. He needs to get better rotation into the midfield from Mitchell.

Always said Frenchie is going to be a jet.

Sidesteps like Mitchell and always looks for a good pass. Just needs to increase his tank to run out games, he's been only averaging around 65-69% on ground most weeks. Footy IQ is through the roof.

Despite less time on ground, had high score involvements and played largely outside. Will be exciting to see him get more game time in the middle as his experience grows - his draft year was basically getting the receive from Ashcroft in the middle and delivering it into 50 beautifully.

Once he hits 50+ games, watch out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said it all along. If we give Mackenzie ample time at centre bounces and stoppages, he can sign, seal and deliver many victories for our club. Mitchell finally decided to give him that chance. And look what happened! His performance in the first half was of the highest order. When he is able to get his hands on the ball, he has the ability to set up offensive plays in a way that I believe only a few others in the league can. It's no wonder he had the most score involvements and kicks inside 50 up until halftime. Sure, Newcombe, Worpel, and Nash will make headlines most weeks for their brutal clearance work. But you need players around them who have the IQ and cleanliness to turn those clearances into goals further up the field. It's almost a guarantee that nearly every second or third disposal Mackenzie has will result in a scoring opportunity. And when it's required of him, Mackenzie can certainly dominate a contest and win the ball by himself (even if that's not what we necessarily saw yesterday). His tenacity to do whatever he can for the guernsey to help us win is also what stands out. Yesterday was only the second time in his career he has recorded 50% attendance at centre bounces (would have been higher had he spent more TOG in the second half). It's no surprise that this statistic coincided with a dominant display for our club. If Mitchell continues to give him this ample time, we can become a far better side this season, and hopefully we can record a marvellous victory on Sunday vs. Sydney with him playing a starring role once again. I'm sure I'll say this again half a dozen times for the rest of the season, but once he has built his tank to a level where he can run out games continually playing as a midfielder and Mitchell trusts him over others, there's no stopping him from becoming a Brownlow-caliber player and taking our team back to the promised land. We are so very fortunate to have him.

Once Cam gets a body that can cope with AFL football watch out!!
His agility is as good as Will Day, I think that's why Sam plays him in the centre bounces because it's a point of difference and not a brutality to get out of the clearances that Jai, Worps & Nashy offer.
We said the same thing about Will Day in 2022 we were all worried he had talent but his body kept failing him!! Every time he got tackled we were worried he would get broken in two he was that slight!!
Once he gets a hardened body you can see him shrugging the tackle and getting out of centre bounces like the coach did and Day does!!

I've said it all along. If we give Mackenzie ample time at centre bounces and stoppages, he can sign, seal and deliver many victories for our club. Mitchell finally decided to give him that chance. And look what happened! His performance in the first half was of the highest order. When he is able to get his hands on the ball, he has the ability to set up offensive plays in a way that I believe only a few others in the league can. It's no wonder he had the most score involvements and kicks inside 50 up until halftime. Sure, Newcombe, Worpel, and Nash will make headlines most weeks for their brutal clearance work. But you need players around them who have the IQ and cleanliness to turn those clearances into goals further up the field. It's almost a guarantee that nearly every second or third disposal Mackenzie has will result in a scoring opportunity. And when it's required of him, Mackenzie can certainly dominate a contest and win the ball by himself (even if that's not what we necessarily saw yesterday). His tenacity to do whatever he can for the guernsey to help us win is also what stands out. Yesterday was only the second time in his career he has recorded 50% attendance at centre bounces (would have been higher had he spent more TOG in the second half). It's no surprise that this statistic coincided with a dominant display for our club. If Mitchell continues to give him this ample time, we can become a far better side this season, and hopefully we can record a marvellous victory on Sunday vs. Sydney with him playing a starring role once again. I'm sure I'll say this again half a dozen times for the rest of the season, but once he has built his tank to a level where he can run out games continually playing as a midfielder and Mitchell trusts him over others, there's no stopping him from becoming a Brownlow-caliber player and taking our team back to the promised land. We are so very fortunate to have him.
I take it the RETURN key doesn’t work on your device or that you have never read a tabloid newspaper.

It makes it so much easier to try and read something spaced out that isn’t a wall of text.

Other than that I agre with gist of your post👍

Has all the tools to be a very good player. Building nicely

Has only played 20 games, so i'm not sure why there was criticism. Be patient, get 50 games into him so he can feel comfortable and build up his fitness. Once he has that and a body to cope with the hits, he will be special

Small shout out (maybe a loud whisper then) to this bloke for his game against the Saints. One of his weaknesses this year has been second half fade outs but I thought he was very good in the back half of Saturday's match. Wasn't our best by any means but was more than serviceable and seemed to pop up at the right time when the game was close. 94% disposal efficiency from his 16 possessions. 7 first half and 9 second half. Having written all that I just checked how much TOG he had and it was only 64% of the match - maybe he's being rested more through the match so he can be more effective in the last quarter? Perhaps Sam rates him as a smart user under pressure so he's ensuring he's not gassed when the game is on the line at the end?

Small shout out (maybe a loud whisper then) to this bloke for his game against the Saints. One of his weaknesses this year has been second half fade outs but I thought he was very good in the back half of Saturday's match. Wasn't our best by any means but was more than serviceable and seemed to pop up at the right time when the game was close. 94% disposal efficiency from his 16 possessions. 7 first half and 9 second half. Having written all that I just checked how much TOG he had and it was only 64% of the match - maybe he's being rested more through the match so he can be more effective in the last quarter? Perhaps Sam rates him as a smart user under pressure so he's ensuring he's not gassed when the game is on the line at the end?
I think he's showing the glimpes as when he does get the ball is really doing good things getting out of traffic or competing well in contests. I think once he can build that tank to play more game time and be more involved he will really be a top line player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back