Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

Remove this Banner Ad

The reverse coleman is a tricky stat. I think James Sicily won it once, a multiple AA and one of the best defenders of the late 6-7 years. Brian Lake too, multi AA, Norm Smith Medallist. From memory Darryl Wakelin finished either 2nd or 3rd after conceding 45 goals in 2004.

So it is what it is. Having lots of goals attributed to you in that stat does not immediately mean you are s**t

Yes. What you’re saying is that essendon are bad.

There’s no denying that, but there’s worse teams, as your examples above show and their players didn’t track as bad.

As I said, north conceded something like over 300 points more than essendon over the season, which is a similar difference between what dons and ladder leader magpies conceded.

Eagles conceded twice as big a difference.

Zerk conceded a huge amount of goals. Staggering. Dons fans cannot blame it all on their team sucking as if they’re the only team, or first team that’s had a bad midfield.

I would be interested to know if a port defender conceded nearly as many goals in our seasons we finished lower on the ladder.

I was just pointing out that you said there were 10 teams worse; there are maybe 1-2 who you wouldn't consider a basket case.

While goals are the aim of the game, total goals conceded is a pretty blunt instrument in assessing a defender's value. You have to put it into the context of games played, role, and your team's defensive scheme.

His one-on-one stats are already better than Jonas, McKenzie and Bergman and I think they'll go up playing for a team that provides more pressure up the ground. He'll be a net positive.

I think the West Coast and North defenders are helped by games played.

Games played by West Coast and North Melbourne Key Defenders:
Tom Barrass (14)
Rhett Bazzo (11)
Josh Rotham (13)
Ben McKay (19)
Aidan Corr (19)
Griffin Logue (15)
Taylor Walker kicks 10 against West Coast in his 250th. Had 4 opponents that day.
Taylor Walker kicks 9 against West Coast in the final game of the year. Had Jeremy McGovern on him all day. McGovern played less than 10 games for this.

Why don't West Coast's defenders have massive numbers of goal against them? Because they played their entire squads worth of them. And rotated players around all over the place through out the year.
Curnow's matches against WC were similar.

I think part of the reason he has had massive bags kicked on him recently is your team has been utter trash and completely noncompetitive up the ground. Don't think it would have mattered who played on the forwards in those games.
Ridley Was far more competitive against these players when given the task, and he's a lanky interceptor too. BZT isn't that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reverse coleman is a tricky stat. I think James Sicily won it once, a multiple AA and one of the best defenders of the late 6-7 years. Brian Lake too, multi AA, Norm Smith Medallist. From memory Darryl Wakelin finished either 2nd or 3rd after conceding 45 goals in 2004.

So it is what it is. Having lots of goals attributed to you in that stat does not immediately mean you are s**t
Yeah I mean the thing is in order to win it, you have to be put on the best forwards in the AFL, and kept on them even when they are kicking goals.

He's not "s**t", but if you watch many Essendon games you'll see he's not a great 1 on 1 defender. But the cupboard is absolutely bare so...

Is Zerk-Thatcher big on greyhound racing? Maybe he just has a loser mentality. Doesn't sound like the type of person we want at Ports.

View attachment 1815032

Don't be surprised, stevedore. There's nothing a 25 year old player wants more than to be coached by the best in the business. And if the best in the business isn't available, there's always Kenny hinkley.

I can understand maybe someone going.. I want to get to play under a ruthless leader like Hardwick or Clarkson who've won multiple flags. But there is absolutely zero chance on God's green earth that anyone is going "aw gee, that fat bogan guy who was a big average back pocket plumber 30 years ago, and has parlayed that into the least successful coaching tenure in the history of the game, I'd really love to be coached by him. I really love the way he goes about it with his meaningless comments about working harder."

With that answer, at least we know BZT isn’t stupid. He needs us to make it work. Even implying a lack of respect for Daddy, makes that less likely to happen.

He could have made the lie a bit more believable... "He speaks well" lmao

This guy is barely worth talking about. Second rate third tall type playing for a second rate team. He's not a big fish at all, not even in a potential sense like Esava is. He will be a downgrade on what McKenzie has been for the past few years.

Yeah, it seems that Zerker-Thatch knows how to play the game at Alberton. Adopt Daddy Donuts as your father, join the greyhound syndicate and you're guaranteed a game with no need to actually perform. Goes from struggling to get a game at Essendon to lock first 22 at the Kenny Hinkley Football Club.

Yeah, it seems that Zerker-Thatch knows how to play the game at Alberton. Adopt Daddy Donuts as your father, join the greyhound syndicate and you're guaranteed a game with no need to actually perform. Goes from struggling to get a game at Essendon to lock first 22 at the Kenny Hinkley Football Club.

I wouldn't say 22 games this year was struggling to get a game, but play on.

Next seasons game day threads will be interesting, as soon as BZK has a Barry Crocker I suspect there will be derogatory comments flying around all over the place, eg `why did we bother picking this bloke up he should change his name to Margaret and play for the lady's team,' it's the nature of the beast!

As has already been said multiple times though the club has been in dire need of tall defenders for years and he wants to come to Alberton, so he has to be worth a try.

I didn't see the interview but I'm prepared to cut him some slack on that, no recruit is going to publicly bag the coach of their new club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back