Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - ISAAC KEELER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks

I’ll let them know
A young First Nations player, at the academy of a club with a captain racially abusing an SANFL club mate of his shows disinterest in that club. And yeah, its the players fault. And lets not mention the Adelaide camp while we're at it.

You are full of s**t.

That highlight reel is rather obscene.
I really don't give a tinkers cuss what Adelaide did with their selection.
That kid has exceptionally rare natural talent. On a guy of his height, it is rarer still.
You reckon we didn't do our own due diligence?
NAS, Philippou, Keeler... they all know each other. Hotton, Windhager, Owens... same deal.

Keeler will slide on in without issue and hopefully he meets the standard.

A young First Nations player, at the academy of a club with a captain racially abusing an SANFL club mate of his shows disinterest in that club. And yeah, its the players fault. And lets not mention the Adelaide camp while we're at it.

You are full of s**t.
Thanks
I appreciate your input

Totally got me bamboozled as to why the Crows didn't nominate Keeler. I was certain he would drift but just by the look of his footy skills and his athleticism (even if the Crows think his commitment is a bit hazy) it just seems plain crazy not to have nominated him.

So there can be only three reasons why they didn't

1 They were so certain he would be drafted well before Pick 40 so they didn't bother.

2 They were so certain he's not worth drafting at all even at Pick 55 which was the last pick they had.

or

3 They are complete idiots
Never underestimate Option #3.
(Carlo Cipolla: The Five Laws of Stupidity)
(which by the way, is a real thing and a very useful tool in life)

It's true, who would want to be at the Adelaide Crows racists as an indigenous kid after Walkers disgrace and the Eddie Betts revelations.
Club has a real culture problem, we have an inclusive culture and recognise we needed to do even more so we employed Aunty Katrina.
She was on the phone to Isaac the moment we selected him. He will feel welcomed and at home at the Saints.

Biggest knock is his physicality at the ruck and can easily get pushed off the ball in marking contests. If he doesn't have a clear run at a marking contest he has trouble marking.

If he can't rectify those issues, experienced AFL players will be easily take him out of play. If he can put on some muscle, get his physical competitive footy animal going and use his abilities and natural footy instinct to work through the challenges defenders will give him, he could be anything.

Caveat on this, not saying he will be this, but the highlight package gave me the impression that if he goes to the top of his game he has young NicNac traits in a Buddy body (also very quick) with some Paddy nous. High praise and hyperbole and he went at 45 for a reason.
Did you see his highlights package?
Doesn’t need to ruck himself, can just rove it off the oppo ruck 😃😃

Seriously, this guy looks like an absolute steal. Looks like he can do anything. Great to hear he and NAS are friends and they obviously know the Po.

Loved the draft this year - that’s two incredibly promising looking draft years, and still a full house in hand for next year.

Did you see his highlights package?
Doesn’t need to ruck himself, can just rove it off the oppo ruck 😃😃

Seriously, this guy looks like an absolute steal. Looks like he can do anything. Great to hear he and NAS are friends and they obviously know the Po.

Loved the draft this year - that’s two incredibly promising looking draft years, and still a full house in hand for next year.
Good to be positive until a pre season or 2 under his belt ,but we all remember Spencer White and his highlights package.

One thing that does make me nervous about so many high potential but a little fragile prospects is the fact that we have a virgin development coach in Brendan Goddard.

Though your comment ignores that Damian Carroll is the Head of Development and Learning at St Kilda Football Club, and so BJ is not a lone wolf, but has some very experienced people above him. Jake Batchelor is also working with the younger players.

One thing that does make me nervous about so many high potential but a little fragile prospects is the fact that we have a virgin development coach in Brendan Goddard.

Now I know that he has more experienced people around him doing the same job and helping out, but he is in charge of 1st to 4th year players and it's vital that we don't burn an otherwise mercurial prospect by coaching him clumsily - It's obvious that someone like Keller needs a specific approach, someone who knows player psychology. BJ was a very different person and I hope he can relate to a player who would need a vastly different guide.
Damien Carroll (head of development) has as much experience in the role as just about anyone going around.

Bachelor is below him and also has plenty of experience.

Goddard is just at the very bottom of the rung in terms of our coaches.

It is where the majority of coaches start out so if you look through every other clubs coaching ranks you will mostly see an inexperienced coach coming through the ranks.

If we think Keeler needs more support that any other player he's more than likely going to get it. I doubt it all just lies with a first year coach.

Thanks to the many people reminding me that BJ is not the only dev coach we have.

I knew that.

I'm just saying he is one of them. I realise the club wouldn't be dumb enough to entrust their rookies to a rookie coach. But his influence is relevant and I hope he can be helpful to guys like Keeler as well as Matteas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well my memory is that it was not anywhere near as good as Keeler's is. But yes he is a player to be developed, and is not read-made.
Very rarely will a club get a player in the 3rd round that is at sraftable age and is ready to play AFL.

If it's right that Adelaide didn't bother to nominate him because they thought he would go in the first round then that is a massive error on their part.

We've been crying out for some draft luck and between the two NGA lads last year and now Pillipou and Keeler it might just be the change of fortunes we've been after.

If it's right that Adelaide didn't bother to nominate him because they thought he would go in the first round then that is a massive error on their part.

We've been crying out for some draft luck and between the two NGA lads last year and now Pillipou and Keeler it might just be the change of fortunes we've been after.
I strongly suspect that's the public line they're selling and there are other reasons in play. Costs nothing to nominate because before 40 they can't match and after 40 they don't have to.

We nominated McKenzie even though he wasn't getting to us.

I strongly suspect that's the public line they're selling and there are other reasons in play. Costs nothing to nominate because before 40 they can't match and after 40 they don't have to.

Correct. I’m sure they have their reasons but they’re not gonna come out and say if it’s personality based

Did it on two, both well outside 50, both went through at half post height.

From what I have read, he was told to pull his finger out earlier this year and he responded well. Biggest knock is his physicality at the ruck and can easily get pushed off the ball in marking contests. If he doesn't have a clear run at a marking contest he has trouble marking.

If he can't rectify those issues, experienced AFL players will be easily take him out of play. If he can put on some muscle, get his physical competitive footy animal going and use his abilities and natural footy instinct to work through the challenges defenders will give him, he could be anything.

Caveat on this, not saying he will be this, but the highlight package gave me the impression that if he goes to the top of his game he has young NicNac traits in a Buddy body (also very quick) with some Paddy nous. High praise and hyperbole and he went at 45 for a reason.
Yeah not sure you genuinely learn / develop that physicality at this age. Feel like it’s more ingrained.

As I said earlier, I've watched him train and play for the last 2 years. He wasn't as committed as he should have been at the start of last year but he changed Schools in year 12 so he could play a full season in the SANFL U18 and not have to play 2nd tier college footy in Adelaide. And then this year he did every right to push himself to get better and better. He's well and truly committed, and has no problem with moving interstate. Having Nas there as well will really help him settle. Oh, and the Crows academy program sucks.
Thanks for coming on and sharing mate.
We're pumped to have him at a club and praying he delivers on his obvious potential.

Ultimately they didn't want him that much. Anyway you look at it, because they had the pick before us and still didn't take him.

There are other issues, but they have nothing to do with the player Keeler is, or any off field issues. The problem is squarely with Adelaide and their NGA setup. Keeler basically changed schools so he could learn and play at a SANFL club because he was getting nothing from the Adelaide NGA.

That coupled with what Adelaide wanted in the draft and their picks made them decide on others. Keeler also made it known he wanted to go interstate and was basically not interested in Adelaide, Port didn't seem to come into it. There are things in the background that we don't know about but you can read between the lines with the attitude of both parties to each other.

In saying that I would say Keeler is a boom/bust risk but as a third rounder one well worth taking.

Its not really because they could have got him the pick before us anyway. IF they wanted him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back