Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MATTAES PHILLIPOU!!

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid is ludicrously good in interviews, he can even make a scoops interview sound good.

I'm used to our young players coming in and looking like a deer in headlights, still have strong memories of Billings looking like he hated every minute of his early interviews. But it's possible the Pou is already our best media performer.
Scoops isn't a terrible interviewer

I liked his interview the best out of SEN and RSN

Did someone say “Po”?
5c00fa61c7279cbf23227b569a018511.jpg

Far out he's impressive this kid, he's already bought into St Kilda big time and why wouldn't he when he gets to meet Lenny, BJ and Robert Harvey.

All this talk of him wanting to play on the big stage in front of big crowds, he will get them if he can play as well as those 3 legends and take us to finals.

We don't get gifted the big stage or big crowds like Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon do, at St Kilda you have to earn it so get earning it kid.

Far out he's impressive this kid, he's already bought into St Kilda big time and why wouldn't he when he gets to meet Lenny, BJ and Robert Harvey.

All this talk of him wanting to play on the big stage in front of big crowds, he will get them if he can play as well as those 3 legends and take us to finals.

We don't get gifted the big stage or big crowds like Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon do, at St Kilda you have to earn it so get earning it kid.

Yeah he's absolutely dived in, been reading up on our history and all.

The big crowds thing is interesting. It's one of those "if you build it, they will come" things. And with Mattaes being a massive fan of Michael Jordan, I'm sure he's aware of how much of a shambles the Bulls were when he arrived at the club, players on crack and playing in front of barely hundreds of people. OK servants of the club phased out for positive culture changes. We've had a few come through in recent years to get a head start (Windy).

Yeah he's absolutely dived in, been reading up on our history and all.

The big crowds thing is interesting. It's one of those "if you build it, they will come" things. And with Mattaes being a massive fan of Michael Jordan, I'm sure he's aware of how much of a shambles the Bulls were when he arrived at the club, players on crack and playing in front of barely hundreds of people. OK servants of the club phased out for positive culture changes. We've had a few come through in recent years to get a head start (Windy).

Robert Harvey, Lenny and BJ didn't walk into our club as teenagers with finals and big crowds just waiting for them, they had to drive us to get there.

We have got a good crew of kids now buying in with King, Windhager, Owens, NWM and Mattaes and his mates to drive this club back to playing finals.

With Ross the Boss back and an all star assistant coaching line up it's exciting to think what could be ahead for us, the boring Richo Ratten era is over.

Nickname wise...PHILIPOU FLIPPER

'Flipper'...........They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning,
No-one you see, is smarter than he, And we know Flipper, lives in a world full of wonder, flying down under, under RSEA

Same big smile!
5aa77fc38405535fcc30ba72307fec50.jpg f7ee9c959d28410f5d2538bedfc329b6.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scoops isn't a terrible interviewer

I liked his interview the best out of SEN and RSN

He asks decent questions, his manner is a bit awkward though. Matthaes is a natural media performer regardless and answers questions quickly and thoroughly without looking rehearsed. If he bombs at footy he'd be perfect in a media role. Seems very well researched and a student of the game on top of that. After his 3 Brownlow's he's got something to fall back on.

Sounded great on the interview this morn. Much more assured. I think hes a lot like Anthony Edwards from the Tomberwolves in the NBA if you know him. But love the guy already,
As a both a timberwolves fan and a saints fan I rate this comparison. Ant is a gun.

I also like suffering apparently.

Thanks for the post (Poor old dual Brownlow Medallist Banga could not cack it for a mention.. ;) Though Bang has always been more the quiet type that just gets it done! )

Also I just love how Mattaes is wearing his new Saint's training gear. He seems to have embraced us 100%

Matteas was 4 last time Harves played.

Matteas was 4 last time Harves played.

He mentioned to Lenny that him and his family were cheering on the Saints in the 2010 Grand Final and he would've only been about 5 years old then.

I'm surprised he remembered the game, I wasn't even watching footy at that age let alone remembering any games.

He mentioned to Lenny that him and his family were cheering on the Saints in the 2010 Grand Final and he would've only been about 5 years old then.

I'm surprised he even remembered the game, I wasn't even watching footy at that age let alone remembering any games.

I used to take a big bag of lollies when i took the kids to the footy.
Every time Saints kicked a goal they got a lolly or 2.
That got the little bastards interested.

I used to take a big bag of lollies when i took the kids to the footy.
Every time Saints kicked a goal they got a lolly or 2.
That got the little bastards interested.

They were never getting diabetes following us fortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back