Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MATTAES PHILLIPOU!!

Remove this Banner Ad

My draft nuffie mate reckons the dad gives off tennis dad vibes. He was very complimentary on our drafting this year and actually rates Mattaes highly but said the old man looks like the type that will be getting in his ear telling him the coach should be playing him different and causing grief. Now he's said it I can't stop seeing it. He's planted the seed.
Plenty of those types around the elite junior pathways…

My draft nuffie mate reckons the dad gives off tennis dad vibes. He was very complimentary on our drafting this year and actually rates Mattaes highly but said the old man looks like the type that will be getting in his ear telling him the coach should be playing him different and causing grief. Now he's said it I can't stop seeing it. He's planted the seed.
Then let’s hope he’s more Richard Williams than Damir Dokic

Never heard more hyperbole and s**t about a potential player that to this date has done zero to help the cause......save how desperate that this forum and the broader SAINTS community are to have and to hold to fill the void......
Let him prove something before we butter his toast and serve him breakfast in bed. No wonder we destroy the little talent that bleeds to us.

Give the kid a chance before you decide he's a champion. Its actually a little sad! When he kicks his first goal or rips it out of the midfield and delivers lace out to anyone within goal I'll be first to write him fitting prose.
He's done jack s**t!

Regardless ...welcome 'FLIPPA'. Oh how sweet it is! LOL!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for your input there Buzz Killington.

family-guy-buzz-killington.gif

Every chance he has seen that grand final every year prior to Grand final day in the marathon since.

It is an all time classic.

Shame we will never sit through it until our own demons have been exorcised

I haven't watched a full replay of that grand final but I have watched replays of that epic Goddard mark a few times and his goal that put us in front.

If only they blew the final siren then it would have been the perfect finish.

View attachment 1566578

We have some big boys. Mattaes looks tiny in comparison

Mattaes needs to work on his mullet, the other boys have got a head start on him.

The belief stems from his willingness and understanding of doing the work.
One of his role models is Kobe Bryant, who is revered for his insane work ethic and willingness to do more than what has been asked.
If this kid maintains that mindset, he’ll reach some incredible heights.
Once in a generation player young Mattaes…De Goey who??

Yeah he is absolutely obsessed with that mentality so hard work will never ever be an issue. They will need to hold him back for than anything because he loves working all the time to get better.

Re: holding him back. I can't tell if Robert Harvey will help or make that worse! He would be going for half marathons on crutches if he could back in the day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lucky the bugger will be living in a different state.

Well if Mattaes is as good as he suggests he he is then 3x1st round picks coming out way down the track

Why on earth would a kid like Phillipou, or anyone else for that matter, want to go back to Adelaide.

Never heard more hyperbole and s**t about a potential player that to this date has done zero to help the cause......save how desperate that this forum and the broader SAINTS community are to have and to hold to fill the void......
Let him prove something before we butter his toast and serve him breakfast in bed. No wonder we destroy the little talent that bleeds to us.

Give the kid a chance before you decide he's a champion. Its actually a little sad! When he kicks his first goal or rips it out of the midfield and delivers lace out to anyone within goal I'll be first to write him fitting prose.
He's done jack s**t!

Regardless ...welcome 'FLIPPA'. Oh how sweet it is! LOL!!!

Sure you have.
We normally find someone to unload the hyperbole onto every year.
Don't you remember Sharman?

Sure you have.
We normally find someone to unload the hyperbole onto every year.
Don't you remember Sharman?

Don't speak the chosen one's name in vain. Flagellate yourself.

So I’ve been having a look over his colts stats and I know it’s just colts level and some teams were not great but my god in his bottom age year for which he was 16 for most of the season.

Anyways i also know these are purely stats but some insane numbers

Including games of
- 32 , 6 goals 2
Two week stretch of 34 and 36 touches

lots of luck had to go our way for him to fall to us. if he is a superstar we can be thankful.

especially look at the importance of going local (with gold coast and gws liking Vic country as a substitute)

both adelaide teams traded out of the top 10 this year. Lets look at the top 11 picks of the draft and the importance of going local or of Vic country to the northern teams. Saints were the only team who bucked the trend

1. Cadman GWS Vic Country ✓
2. Ashcroft Bris Father Son (✓)
3. Sheezal NM Vic Metro ✓
4. Wardlaw NM VM ✓
5. Tsatsis Ess Bombers Fan and VM ✓
6. Humphry GC VC ✓
7. McKenzie Haw Hawks fan and VM ✓
8. Clarke Geel. Geelong Falcons ✓
9. Ginbey WC WA ✓
10 Philipou St. Kilda SA X
11 Hollanda Carl Blues fan and VM ✓

Port had pick 9 before trading it out to WC. No way Phillipou would have vot past them with his family ties to the club.
And that is only if he got past the crows who originally had pick 6

lots of luck had to go our way for him to fall to us. if he is a superstar we can be thankful.

especially look at the importance of going local (with gold coast and gws liking Vic country as a substitute)

both adelaide teams traded out of the top 10 this year. Lets look at the top 11 picks of the draft and the importance of going local or of Vic country to the northern teams. Saints were the only team who bucked the trend

4. Wardlaw NM VM ✓
6. Humphry GC VC ✓
9. Ginbey WC WA ✓

Port had pick 9 before trading it out to WC. No way Phillipou would have vot past them with his family ties to the club.

I still think it really was us and the Bombers picking the same fruit. Tsatas looks like the one we probably would have had if Essendon had taken Phillipou. The top 4 sort of picked themselves and then 5 to 10 were a fairly obvious lot as well. Only the order was likely to change. Hawks firmed late for CMac which put him out of our reach. Others all make sense. Ginbey is a big ready to play HB/mid who is exactly what WC need and being local he'll wear the rebuild without heading home. Clark looks like Selwood's replacement. Humphrey some razzle-dazzle for the GC for life after Rankine.

Hopefully the Bombers are still crying over walking past Phillipou in a few years. Could be Bont over Billings type of anguish.

4. Wardlaw NM VM ✓
6. Humphry GC VC ✓
9. Ginbey WC WA ✓

What were his family ties to Port ?

I knew he barracked for them but his dad and grandad played for Woodville West Torrens .

Is there another link to Port .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back