Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bont can play until he's 40, so hopefully the contract they're currently negotiating is 15 years or thereabouts, 10 years as an absolute minimum. He can then transition from player straight to any one (or all) of Bulldogs coach, AFL supremo, President of Australia, UN big cheese, or admiral of Starfleet Command.

I think Bont can play until he's 40, so hopefully the contract they're currently negotiating is 15 years or thereabouts, 10 years as an absolute minimum. He can then transition from player straight to any one (or all) of Bulldogs coach, AFL supremo, President of Australia, UN big cheese, or admiral of Starfleet Command.
Will he have time to get married and produce a line of progeny whose birthright will be to serve the club for evermore?

really enjoy the thread. (yes i took my shoes off when i entered this sacred temple)
Current day performance says otherwise.

Look at the table above...
Ablett peaked year 8-12
Dangerfield year 9-10
Neale 8-?
Judd 8-10 (despite being a gun very early)
Martin 7-?
Hannebury 7-8
Selwood 7-8

Fyfe is really the only exception that you could argue who began his peak as a 24 year old which was then derailed by injury.

Bont is going into his 7th season as a young player in that draft. I do not believe for a second he's half way through his peak.
nah when fyfe began his peak is impossible to judge. had a good first season 16 disposals per game. second season had a massive concussion that had lingering effects for a year and he said he struggled to see the ball at times, however disposals jumped to 25 a game. third season he missed half the season with injury (shoulder issues i think). fourth season 2013 he averaged a browlow vote a game and I think that's when his would peak would have begun had it not been two development years being affected. So i think his peak should have begun at age 22. (23 during 2013 GF)

kind of sad we've only seen his best for 6 season so far (2013-2015 and 2018-present) if you ask me.

I’d say peak years are 24 to 28. He’ll be 26 this year and Macrae 27. Just saying the next two years really is our time to strike.

The concept of peaking is quite interesting. No doubt there is a sweet spot, but when the physical peak and mental peak overlap seems to be the key.
You often hear the phrase "this year the penny finally dropped" which eludes to the mental side.

You'd have to then think that the Bont, being of a settled and calm nature and level head, has already reached the mental sweet spot. But has he?

Its one thing to be mentally composed, tough, and of good character, be a guy that "you want be in the trenches with". BUT....does that mean you've got to the stage where you're focused so sharply that every ounce of potential has been extracted?

With Bont I still think he's 2 years away. The attitude is right (of course), but (and this is just my opinion), I believe his focus is a full level down from the Fyfes Dangerfields, and Martins.

Only when he begins to physically dominate opponents will he have reached his peak, and he is still some way away on that front. There is no guarantee he'll reach it either. How many individuals do? However if he does it will be a scary sight.

The concept of peaking is quite interesting. No doubt there is a sweet spot, but when the physical peak and mental peak overlap seems to be the key.
You often hear the phrase "this year the penny finally dropped" which eludes to the mental side.

You'd have to then think that the Bont, being of a settled and calm nature and level head, has already reached the mental sweet spot. But has he?

Its one thing to be mentally composed, tough, and of good character, be a guy that "you want be in the trenches with". BUT....does that mean you've got to the stage where you're focused so sharply that every ounce of potential has been extracted?

With Bont I still think he's 2 years away. The attitude is right (of course), but (and this is just my opinion), I believe his focus is a full level down from the Fyfes Dangerfields, and Martins.

Only when he begins to physically dominate opponents will he have reached his peak, and he is still some way away on that front. There is no guarantee he'll reach it either. How many individuals do? However if he does it will be a scary sight.
My original thought was in relation to his body. He’s managed it well, but his hip is still meant to be in bad shape. As I say, the fact he’s been able to manage it extremely well to this stage is a credit to him.

I was told two years ago by someone connected to the medical team at the club they thought his hip would only allow him to play at his level until he was 30.

So far that seems to be wrong and I hope it stays that way. I’d say it’s a big reason though that we only want to give him 5 years, not 6.

My original thought was in relation to his body. He’s managed it well, but his hip is still meant to be in bad shape. As I say, the fact he’s been able to manage it extremely well to this stage is a credit to him.

I was told two years ago by someone connected to the medical team at the club they thought his hip would only allow him to play at his level until he was 30.

So far that seems to be wrong and I hope it stays that way. I’d say it’s a big reason though that we only want to give him 5 years, not 6.
He looks more smooth/free in his movement than ever right now, I really don’t think it’s hampering him too much at all tbh but yeah I guess like you said he might have just managed it really really well. Can’t say I have too many concerns about it really, the blokes been extremely durable

The thing I like most about Adam is seeing the smile on he's face and the enjoyment he is getting out of playing with us!

Putting footy aside, the bloke looks happy and it's a joy to watch!
There’s a strong positive correlation between enjoying your sport and doing well at it. They feed off each other.

Bont v Dusty:

Disposals; 130 v 136
Marks; 20 v 19
Tackles; 19 v 11
Inside 50s; 35 v 34
Clearances; 18 v 20
Goals; 7 v 5
Goal Assists; 7 v 7

The only two players in the comp who average 25+ possessions and have kicked 5+ goals and had 5+ goal assists.

(On the cusp: Adam Treloar - 25, 5 and 4 and Hugh McCluggage - 24.2, 5 and 5)

Also interesting to note Bont's Contested Possession % over the years;

2014 - 47.2% of all possessions were contested.
2015 - 49.5%
2016 - 45%
2017 - 51.2%
2018 - 42.8%
2019 - 47.3%
2020 - 46.6%
2021 - 33.1%

Benefitting greatly from Dunks being played in his rightful position and carving teams apart on the back of it.

What a perfectly balanced midfield we have the privilege of watching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve seen Templeton, Hawkins, Royal, Libratore Snr, Wynd, West, Johnson and Darcy, but this bloke is better than all of them, he is the only one with a flag and very good in that win. He is very very consistent or excellent. And amazingly durable. He is also an amazing captain, something a lot of these champs battled with or weren’t up to. He speaks so well and is the ultimate representative for our club. Couldn’t have ordered a more perfect specimen to lead and play for us.

I’ve seen Templeton, Hawkins, Royal, Libratore Snr, Wynd, West, Johnson and Darcy, but this bloke is better than all of them, he is the only one with a flag and very good in that win. He is very very consistent or excellent. And amazingly durable. He is also an amazing captain, something a lot of these champs battled with or weren’t up to. He speaks so well and is the ultimate representative for our club. Couldn’t have ordered a more perfect specimen to lead and play for us.
I've seen all of those guys and Whitten play (yes...I am very, very old.) Bontempelli is the best player we've had in at least 60 years. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, please take the time to watch the highlights of Bontempelli's play each week. This is greatness on display. He is a once-in-a-century player - not a generational player - a once-in-a-century player. Please appreciate the man at the peak of his powers. AFL supporters will know his name for as long as this game is played.

Bont's 4 more years >
Agree Mutt too. GOAT at Footscray and Western Bulldogs. How lucky we are to have this amazing individual and young man at our football club. I am also old enough to have met EJ on a few occaisions and saw him play.
Regards
Stephen

I have seen all the above too and he is definitely better than all except Templeton‘s career was pretty much over at Bont’s age due to his knee injury and his chronic hip issue. KT won 2 colemans and a Brownlow by the age of 23. As KT career was pretty much over by 25 yes Bont will eclipse him. i still rate KT higher than the rest by a fair margin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back