When will you guys beat us again?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm suprised Motlop doesnt frustrate you guys more. Giving away a lot of meaningless 50 metre penalties/ downground frees at the moment. Hard to redeem yourself as a small forward doing that. Dont doubt his talent, but I'd be getting sick of those

Funny thread to read as an outsider.

Great game of footy, thoroughly enjoyed the old style passion and hardness. So sad that it's being umpired out of the game.

FWIW, I thought Port threw it away with some stupid footy. In fact, it would have been poetic if they lost by a point, as punishment for that absolute crap at the end of the second quarter.

Having said that, I'll repeat what I said in response to a Crows peanut on Bay 13: Port will be giggling if they get Adelaide in a final this year.

The great thing about playing Adelaide,even if they're a 10 goal better team on paper 90% of the time you'll have multiple opportunities to beat them. I don't know a lot of crows followers who can hold a football discussion but the general feel was that they'd win convincingly so i'd expect to knock them off without any problems later in the year seeing as that was their best possible line up they could field and they were going in extremely confident after beating a Weagles outfit for the first time since 1927.

The only time I see US defeating you, is when our younger players have matured and playing in the same fashion, rough'n'tough adding as well as playing football.

But I can't see that happening in the next 3 or 4 battles.

The great thing about playing Adelaide,even if they're a 10 goal better team on paper 90% of the time you'll have multiple opportunities to beat them. I don't know a lot of crows followers who can hold a football discussion but the general feel was that they'd win convincingly so i'd expect to knock them off without any problems later in the year seeing as that was their best possible line up they could field and they were going in extremely confident after beating a Weagles outfit for the first time since 1927.

You do realize, don't you, that you were at full strength (bar Wilson) while the Crows were missing their prime midfielders in Knights and Reilly (not to mention being reduced to 20 fit players before halftime)? You basically threw everything you had at us and still lost.

Huh???

Try getting some facts before you go off please. It was OUR best possible line up (Wilson in if he manages to get over an damn serious injury at his age), the Crows had a few handy types not playing.

Piss poor we couldn't win, we were older, fitter and more experienced but still managed to find a way to lose.

The only time I see US defeating you, is when our younger players have matured and playing in the same fashion, rough'n'tough adding as well as playing football.

But I can't see that happening in the next 3 or 4 battles.

We must be the only side in the AFL that continually throws up that excuse! Their younger guys played excellent footy, our's apparently, need years and years to just begin to understand the game.

Excuses :mad::thumbsdown:

Nah disagree.
Coaching is about several things, one of which is game day strategy that everyone on BF likes talking about and debating (including myself), another is discipline and team work.
Your team is highly disciplined towards team work ours is not.
Thanks to this discipline you were able to withstand our endless headless chook type attacks and dish it back. Gotta give Craig credit when it's due.
yeh... I agree...imo we have more talent but the crows are very well drilled (coached)

I wouldn't call us talented...at least not at the moment...more mercurial. Sometimes we can be world beaters, and other times, featherweights.

In answer to the question, we will beat the Crows once our forward line resembles a cohesive unit. Plain and simple. We struggled for every goal that we got, wheras they seemed to do it easily.

People say the Crows have the wood on us, but it's not like it has been in the past. I think the Showdown has turned full circle and become a true 50/50 contest, where as over the past few years either the Crows or Power dominated.

On a side note, I just had to laugh at some (not all) of the Crows fans on their board. I guess we really ARE Port Adelaide Est 1870 based on their bleating. Every contest was in play (backed up by the MRP), but apparently we're snipers...go figure. How conviently they forget one M.Bickley and his gutless snipe on D.Wakelin. I reckon this game has opened up some old wounds from the SANFL days...

You do realize, don't you, that you were at full strength (bar Wilson) while the Crows were missing their prime midfielders in Knights and Reilly (not to mention being reduced to 20 fit players before halftime)? You basically threw everything you had at us and still lost.

I was under no illusions as we all knew we had 99% of the list to choose from but it didn't stop both parties giving PA no hope all week leading in.I must admit i went through the big names such as Edwards,Mcleod,Thompson,Burton,Goodwin etc and didn't consider the easily replaced mid range players who hadn't had an impact against us historically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't call us talented...at least not at the moment...more mercurial. Sometimes we can be world beaters, and other times, featherweights.

In answer to the question, we will beat the Crows once our forward line resembles a cohesive unit. Plain and simple. We struggled for every goal that we got, wheras they seemed to do it easily.

People say the Crows have the wood on us, but it's not like it has been in the past. I think the Showdown has turned full circle and become a true 50/50 contest, where as over the past few years either the Crows or Power dominated.

On a side note, I just had to laugh at some (not all) of the Crows fans on their board. I guess we really ARE Port Adelaide Est 1870 based on their bleating. Every contest was in play (backed up by the MRP), but apparently we're snipers...go figure. How conviently they forget one M.Bickley and his gutless snipe on D.Wakelin. I reckon this game has opened up some old wounds from the SANFL days...

My thoughts exactly. We will only beat the crows "if" or "when" we fix our forward structure. We used to beat them because of a superior forward line and methodology of bringing the ball in. Now our forward line is a joke.
Our coaches have to take the blame for this.

Huh???

Try getting some facts before you go off please. It was OUR best possible line up (Wilson in if he manages to get over an damn serious injury at his age), the Crows had a few handy types not playing.

Piss poor we couldn't win, we were older, fitter and more experienced but still managed to find a way to lose.

Firstly in a squad of 40 odd it'd be debatable that our best possible line up could be known or guaranteed. What i suggested was despite being Fitter :eek: Older :D and more experienced :eek: you'd have struggled to find someone to expect us to beat the opposition on the day.As we saw.
Im pretty confident if there were facts as to why we can't beat them,well we'd have beaten them.

Doesn't really bother me to be honest. Adelaide always beat us yet we still always finish above them at seasons end. The trends only continuing here and i dont think Adelaide will make the 8.

"always finish above them"..........not sure you are quite correct. I'd focus on beating Brisbane, Brown and Bradshaw might give you a little trouble, or do you think Toby can deal with them both?

We'll be a better chance next time I think, despite Adelaide having a couple of decent(Yes, decent, not stars) midfielders back I think their ruck issues will be even more prominent. Craig better hope Maric hits some form and Moran can get back quickly because there's no way Tippett and Griffin will be standing at the end of the year if they aren't rested.

You'd also think that their young guys will taper off towards the end of the season - how many of them put in top shelf performances last round?

Of course, they could be following the path we laid out last year and make it all the way to the GF...

"always finish above them"..........not sure you are quite correct. I'd focus on beating Brisbane, Brown and Bradshaw might give you a little trouble, or do you think Toby can deal with them both?

While that comment was never going to bear up to any kind of scrutiny, I don't think it's up to you to prescribe to a Port Board poster what they should be posting in a thread which is about Port beating the crows (started I might add by a crows supporter). There's a thread about the Brisbane game if you're that concerned about our thoughts on that topic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back