Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between 2010 and Richmond winning their first premiership, we finished above Richmond nearly every single year. We hardly lost to them over that stretch and would often win by large margins.

To a lot of people that’s all they needed to see to convince themselves that we had the better youth. If Martin and Cotchin were so great, then why weren’t they winning when head to head with Cunnington and Ziebell.

At least in those days we were winning 10+ games per season. I can’t even imagine what would possess somebody to take a victory lap on the back of a six win season.

What victory lap? All pre-season, this thread was all about the fact North would fly past Hawthorn this season because their youth were so much better. North dominated the poll. I got laugh emojis and called deluded in this thread when I suggested North were unlikely to win twice as many games as Hawthorn in 2022. Players like Lewis and Newcombe were described as list cloggers, etc. Most Hawthorn fans, myself included, actually agreed North had the most proven youth but that the gap was not as big as was being described.

Predictably, Hawthorn fans have returned to this thread given the results this season and in particular, the performance of some young players - particularly those that were the subject of the most pre-season contention (such as Mitch Lewis who we argued was not that far behind Larkey whilst North fans almost unanimously thought he was s**t, worse than Comben and a 'gaping chasm' behind Larkey for eg).

It has definately gotten a bit much at times - the extent to which Hawthorn supporters have carried on regarding North's plight (and I'm not yet convinced the poll won't end up being correct after all) but it probably wasn't helped when the main North offenders return to the thread only after Hawthorn has a poor loss and when North finally win a game - only to double down on some of the pre-season garbage.

Hawthorn's youth is much better positioned than this time last year whilst unfortunately, North's is probably a fair bit worse. I still think you have the talent and if you get the admin, coaching and the senior player guidance around them right, could still end up the better of the 3. A lot has to go right for that to happen though.

P.S. Hawthorn have won 7 games with a month to go.

Do you really think Logan McDonald is that good? I think he has been quite underwhelming and he'd barely get a sniff of the ball in Norths forward line at the moment. Let Will Phillips have a season without covid, injuries, illness and I think you'll see why he was selected so high.
He’s still only 18 and only in his second year. That’s 12 years younger than Sam Reid who has similar season stats. So he is developing and will go past him soon. Just a matter of time before he establishes him self.
3 weeks ago most people were saying that Ugle-Hagan was underwhelming. And yes I agree Will Phillips may develop to be a better player, but to date Logan has developed more.

I think these threads need to define the difference between natural talent and developed talent. Any player who is drafted is in the top percentile of footy players talent wise, how well that talent is further developed should be the metric used.

Last edited:
Good to see LDU well deserved votes
Really? There was 1 North player that deserved votes but it wasn't LDU

LDU's best work came in the absolute junk of the last 20 minutes. McKay saved it from being a 15 goal loss

He’s still only 18 and only in his second year. That’s 12 years younger than Sam Reid who has similar season stats. So he is developing and will go past him soon. Just a matter of time before he establishes him self.
3 weeks ago most people were saying that Ugle-Hagan was underwhelming. And yes I agree Will Phillips may develop to be a better player, but to date Logan has developed more.

I think these threads need to define the difference between natural talent and developed talent. Any player who is drafted is in the top percentile of footy players talent wise, how well that talent is further developed should be the metric used.
I agree but people on this site are happy to write off Phillips despite him not getting a clear run at it.

The coaches disagree with your take
That coz the delusion at your club extends to your coach box who somehow thought he was the 3rd best player on the ground. Have to seriously wonder what they are seeing at that club.

Coach* Sam ain’t giving LDU votes.
That coz the delusion at your club extends to your coach box who somehow thought he was the 3rd best player on the ground. Have to seriously wonder what they are seeing at that club.
Nah Sam thinks LDU is a ⭐️ He dreams of having a midfielder with that much natural talent, can only imagine how good he could make him when coached well

From a crows perspective it will be interesting how the team looks next year or the year after . There's clearly holes like ruck, key defender, small forward and inside midfield that if improved could make the group look much better.

Rankine and JHF would do this year..

Berry, Soligo, Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Rachele, Cook, Butts, Parnell, Jones, Schoenberg, Hinge, Hamill all show enough.
Surround Laird, Keays, Dawson with the above and three of four really good prospects and the wheel should turn.

Funny that this time last year Tarryn Thomas was being pushed as tracking to be better than the Bont. Lot can change in a year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a crows perspective it will be interesting how the team looks next year or the year after . There's clearly holes like ruck, key defender, small forward and inside midfield that if improved could make the group look much better.

Rankine and JHF would do this year..

Berry, Soligo, Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Rachele, Cook, Butts, Parnell, Jones, Schoenberg, Hinge, Hamill all show enough.
Surround Laird, Keays, Dawson with the above and three of four really good prospects and the wheel should turn.

Is McAsey set to be traded at the end of the year?

Is McAsey set to be traded at the end of the year?
Unclear. His form is disappointing but I also don't think the club has been helping him playing him up forward.
He's a better defender and if given a run there could settle and become a player.

Unless the club gets an early second round pick for him I wouldn't trade him because there's still potential to get a decent key defender out of him, one of the holes in the team I mentioned.

Unclear. His form is disappointing but I also don't think the club has been helping him playing him up forward.
He's a better defender and if given a run there could settle and become a player.

Unless the club gets an early second round pick for him I wouldn't trade him because there's still potential to get a decent key defender out of him, one of the holes in the team I mentioned.
The actual truth is, in his third season, he can barely get a kick at SANFL level, playing on part timers. Done nothing in three years to indicate he'll make the grade, let alone justify pick 6. I'm not sure if it's him or what the Crows have done to him.

Looks to be yet another first round failure for our recruiters to add the the scrapheap, along with Jones and McHenry.

The actual truth is, in his third season, he can barely get a kick at SANFL level, playing on part timers. Done nothing in three years to indicate he'll make the grade, let alone justify pick 6. I'm not sure if it's him or what the Crows have done to him.

Looks to be yet another first round failure for our recruiters to add the the scrapheap, along with Jones and McHenry.
He's a defender. Hasn't played there all year really.
If they want to develop him play him in the position that made us draft him (KPD).

And Gallucci?

Hawthorn have green pastures getting greener

North don’t even have seedlings to grow into grass, it’s just volcanic ash
Funny you say this, but the soil around Medellin is actually full of volcanic ash and contributes to it being the best growing conditions in the world.
Funny that this time last year Tarryn Thomas was being pushed as tracking to be better than the Bont. Lot can change in a year!
I don’t think anyone said he was going to be better than the Bont, but he was tracking as a 20+2 footballer which is rare.

Who knows, he could return to that trajectory under a new coach.

Will Day was being hailed as the next Andy Collins too, he’s also fallen off a cliff.

Funny you say this, but the soil around Medellin is actually full of volcanic ash and contributes to it being the best growing conditions in the world.

I don’t think anyone said he was going to be better than the Bont, but he was tracking as a 20+2 footballer which is rare.

Who knows, he could return to that trajectory under a new coach.

Will Day was being hailed as the next Andy Collins too, he’s also fallen off a cliff.
Will Day has been injured/Covid/concussed for parts of the year and had zero continuity

Weird and incorrect point

Will Day has been injured/Covid/concussed for parts of the year and had zero continuity

And Thomas, Phillips, Cunnington and Comben haven’t? The latter 3 having played 0 games for the year.

Weird point, you say.

You literally have NFI what you are talking about, we have been decimated all year and we were s**t to begin with.

Throw in 4 concussions for McKay, no Hall for 1/2 the year etc etc

Just looking for some balance to the nonsense in this thread.

And Thomas, Phillips, Cunnington and Comben haven’t? The latter 3 having played 0 games for the year.

Weird point, you say.

You literally have NFI what you are talking about, we have been decimated all year and we were s**t to begin with.

Throw in 4 concussions for McKay, no Hall for 1/2 the year etc etc

Just looking for some balance to the nonsense in this thread.
BALANCE! Ahahahahaha

Im not sure if you have been in this thread

But all we have heard is how good Norths youth are and how much better it is then Adelaide's and Hawthorns

And now that its been shown its subpar, the narrative changes to "we were s**t to begin with"

When did I bring those players up? And Comben?, please, had to hear all pre season how he was a better prospect then Lewis

Please don't use Cunnington in a youth thread either

In terms of NFI? Thats all you Sunshine

Huh, Whenever fit he is in the team and playing good footy. What cliff.....

He was actually really impressive when he was thrown forward a couple of weeks back kicking some really classy goals adding another string to his bow.

The lack of continuity means he hasn't put in those BOG performances like the previous year but his class has still been shining through.

.......ugh........

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Fast forward a few months and it's really been a mixed season for the youngsters. Some have really kicked on or announced themselves, whilst others have struggled for a variety of reasons.

For us Hawks we've had a few disappointing seasons:

Day - he's had mixed form and has been hampered by minor injuries, causing him to miss the occasional game

Bramble - missed the majority of the pre-season due to injury. I really thought he'd cement a spot as a wingman, but was inexplicably being played as a backman. It's clear he's no backman now. Season ended early due to injury, so his season never had a chance.

Worpel - he was in terrible form and looked lost out there. Injury ended the season so hopefully he has time to reassess and attack the pre-season.

Brockman - Most Hawks thought he was going to be a permanent fixture in the pocket, but injury derailed the entire season. I personally wonder how homesick he has been and am not sure whether we will keep him beyond the season.

But thankfully we have had a few players that have been really impressive:

Newcombe - what a find. He's been great not just as a rising star, but as a midfielder in general. Personally didn't expect this level of performance from him.

Lewis - announced himself as one of the elite KPF in the competition.

Moore - was having an elite season as a HFF (in relation to the position), but has recently had two great games as a midfielder (admittedly against two weaker teams). If he is able to continue to contribute as a midfielder we will have a Lambert-like player who is an elite high HFF that can impact in the middle.

Scrimshaw - been quality all season and has established himself as a quality HBF. Birchall-like in his gait and his skills, but is good in the air. Really good player IMO and one that will be underrated by the wider footballing community, somewhat similarly to Birchall too (though I acknowledge that BigFooty in general rated Birchall as an elite HBF).

Hardwick - been brilliant and understated all season. Arguably our most consistent performer that can lock down or play the rebounding role. Really underappreciated player in the wider footballing community, but that's understandable given the position he plays.

We've had a few others that have continued to develop and show some promise:

Finn - taken a few big scalps as a tagger in Langdon, Dawson, T. Kelly and Simpkin.

MacDonald - looks like a really classy mover and played the majority of the season in a foreign position.

Ward - had a few excellent games as a rookie after coming back from concussions, including one incredible game for a rookie (the would have had more fanfare had Daicos not been doing ridiculous things).

CJ - injury affected season and teams are now putting some time into him, but he's still been a dashing excitement machine.

Reeves - I don't expect he will develop into an elite ruck, but looks like he can win taps and have an impact up forward.

Blanck - has fitted in seamlessly at FB so far. Will be interesting to see goes against other elite KPF's. I think he and DGB will form a strong duo that compliment each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back