Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

Ah the old “I chose to support a really old club so I’m somehow better than you” argument. Really cool. Novel.

No, not at all, more the fact that you have achieved absolutely nothing since your existence, but apparently you don't care as to how either finish this year

Not to mention you are a poor 5th cousin of the Eagles that have dominated WA footy

No, not at all, more the fact that you have achieved absolutely nothing since your existence, but apparently you don't care as to how either finish this year

Not to mention you are a poor 5th cousin of the Eagles that have dominated WA footy
Ah yes, because Carlton has really shown us how it’s done the last 3 decades

Ah yes, because Carlton has really shown us how it’s done the last 3 decades
as much as I hate Carlton, they at least have some cred in this competition. they may have been putrid for the majority of the past 28 years, but I lived through their golden era, and I'm quite happy to say, I'm sh!t scared of it happening again. I'll give them grief in this thread about the past 28 years, because I copped it big time during our 32 year drought.
You have no business having a go at either of these clubs in this thread, you have achieved nothing, and the way its looking probably never will.

as much as I hate Carlton, they at least have some cred in this competition. they may have been putrid for the majority of the past 28 years, but I lived through their golden era, and I'm quite happy to say, I'm sh!t scared of it happening again. I'll give them grief in this thread about the past 28 years, because I copped it big time during our 32 year drought.
You have no business having a go at either of these clubs in this thread, you have achieved nothing, and the way its looking probably never will.

This crap talk is just that... crap talk!

And no. It isn't because you follow Collingwood. I wouldn't care if it was a fellow Carlton supporter, I'd be pulling them up on it. It doesn't matter who we follow here.

Who are we people to act as if we can see the future? Why the **** do we strut about here saying "insert club here" won't win a flag anytime soon or will never win one?
You should know better than anyone after last year when many thought your team would struggle after all the close victories the year before.

Who saw the bulldogs winning 2016 the way they did?
Fremantle had a chance in 2013 (and may very well have another soon). St. Kilda have had quite a few chances over the years to win their second premiership (just couldn't take them). Richmond after 30 years of mediocirity suddenly clicked to win 3 flags in four years.
Melbourne broke their drought in 2021 (albeit much to their fans disappointment with how they couldn't see it take place, but they could very much have that come again soon as it is one of countless possibilities).

Who is to say despite the incoming Tassie side and difficulties in resetting the list, North will still be poor in two or three years time?
Who is to say after 22 years of sanctions, atrocity and false dawns, Carlton couldn't find the answers to go all the way and win no. 17?
Who is to say Essendon, as enjoyable as the count may seem, couldn't finally pass the dredded first week of finals this year or next (regardless, it is going to happen and it is only a matter of when)?
What about Gold Coast? I reckon there will come a year shortly they will play finals for the first time.

We are merely footy fans. Much of us working or middle class with many different ways we support our teams.
Our team's successes and failures are not magical. They don't gift us superpowers. We don't suddenly have foresight when we witness our team achieve glory. We don't lose our ability to speak or defend our teams when they struggle. And nothing now despite how much we focus on it, will determine future seasons.

All we can do is sit back and ride the roller coaster. Enjoy the highs and battle through the lows.

Last edited:
Yes, I am in a banter thread.

Yes, my team did lose on Friday night much to my disappointment and frustration.

Yes, I hate Collingwood's guts (though I am both smart and willing enough to admit they have the edge at the moment, though that like everything in footy will eventually change. None of us know when nor for how long, all of us with common sense just know it will).

These kind of threads are just pointless. Because there is no end to them. There never will be. Not only that, it will always see-saw.

But I remain here because I reserve the right to defend and stand by my team. I stick around, hopeful to see my club win a flag (and they will, but like I just said, none of us know when).

I too remain here because I am going to reply to stupid posts and correct them. Sure, we all are different and think differently. But some of the nonsense spewed up here deserves to be criticised and ridiculed (e.g. Sam Walsh is weak/****). This isn't banter, this is rubbish.

Sure I can banter, but I will stick with the general banter rather than that around the clubs and their current performances because the truth is I myself don't act as if I along with however I support my team, is the reason for my team's success or failure.

Last edited:
Yes, I am in a banter thread.

Yes, my team did lose on Friday night much to my disappointment and frustration.

Yes, I hate Collingwood's guts (though I am both smart and willing enough to admit they have the edge at the moment, though that like everything in footy will eventually change. None of us know when nor for how long, all of us with common sense just know it will).

These kind of threads are just pointless. Because there is no end to them. There never will be. Not only that, it will always see-saw.

But I remain here because I reserve the right to defend and stand by my team. I stick around, hopeful to see my club win a flag (and they will, but like I just said, none of us know when).

I too remain here because I am going to reply to stupid posts and correct them. Sure, we all are different and think differently. But some of the nonsense spewed up here deserves to be criticised and ridiculed (e.g. Sam Walsh is weak/****). This isn't banter, this is rubbish.

Sure I can banter, but I will stick with the general banter rather than that around the clubs and their current performances because the truth is I myself don't act as if I along with however I support my team, is the reason for my team's success or failure.

Well said, good onya mate! My feelings exactly. And you know what? I reckon calling these pages "banter" threads is a falsehood. True footy banter exists in the outer at the old grounds, where saying something stupid or inflammatory would usually result in you getting pretty quickly shut down by some one else's grandma! (or on occasions a well aimed smack in the gob)
The rubbish they spew in here is cowardly bile aimed at making others feel bad. It's bullying but hey on a keyboard you can get away with it apparently.
The Blues are on the right track, everyone can see it and with those two big blokes up front you'll get there just like Geelong has and Richmond did. We pinch a flag here and there just on grit and determination rather than the luxury of having big key forwards (our last one was Clokey and he retired years ago).

Lets you and I just enjoy the footy eh? and leave this so called "banter" to the young'uns. good on you for sticking up for your club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said, good onya mate! My feelings exactly. And you know what? I reckon calling these pages "banter" threads is a falsehood. True footy banter exists in the outer at the old grounds, where saying something stupid or inflammatory would usually result in you getting pretty quickly shut down by some one else's grandma! (or on occasions a well aimed smack in the gob)
The rubbish they spew in here is cowardly bile aimed at making others feel bad. It's bullying but hey on a keyboard you can get away with it apparently.
The Blues are on the right track, everyone can see it and with those two big blokes up front you'll get there just like Geelong has and Richmond did. We pinch a flag here and there just on grit and determination rather than the luxury of having big key forwards (our last one was Clokey and he retired years ago).

Lets you and I just enjoy the footy eh? and leave this so called "banter" to the young'uns. good on you for sticking up for your club.

Exactly right.

I mean we can hate each other's club. But without each other's club. There isn't much entertainment.

Collingwood are not a super talented team full of A-grade stars (aside from N. Daicos, Moore, etc.)
But what makes them so formidable is their system. Macrae and his assistants carry a very well-structured philosophy and gameplan which with the right mix of players, can most certainly take a team all the way (which happened last year). Even the dynasty teams didn't carry so many superstars, what they had was a strong system and team mindset.

And you know what, I see the same thing with Voss. He actually has a promising philosophy and strong relationship with the players. There too is a team mindset most times. It shows. I can see it from where I sit. Only problem is that it is still raw and the gameplan to go with it isn't as solid nor sustainable.
It is probably one reason why Carlton's injury list is always so large at times year in year out. It's a very brutal and chaotic gameplan that can leave bodies banged up much quicker. Blues were carrying so many sore bodies into the finals last year.

Carlton do have the potential to get things right. But none of us are to ever know if they will manage to do so with this group.
But perhaps it won't necessarily have to be another rebuild to get it right. For all we know, it could be just a few player changes.

With Carlton. It is also about finding the balance. The balance being the performances between our top 6 and bottom 6.
Want to know how Carlton pulled off last year's back half surge into the 8? It was their bottom six players. The combination of Martin, Cuningham and Fogarty up forward stunned supporters. Our wingmen were really helping with that troublesome connection between attack and defence we saw throughout 2022. And players like Cottrell believe it or not, would have one or two game-changing performances (his performance in the elim against Sydney was of the highest quality).
What prevented Carlton going all the way? Their top six were for the most part, underwhelming. We all know Curnow's struggle in the finals. McKay was in poor goal-kicking form. Cripps couldn't lift his game.

This season so far. It is the top 6 now delivering and the bottom 6 struggling. Weitering winning his match-ups. McKay in career best form. Walsh not missing a beat. Cripps return to previous good form. If Carlton can find that balance, it can go a long way.

Last edited:
Looking at teams that are probably top-6 contenders:
Carlton have played Brisbane (away), GWS (home), Geelong and now Pies in the opening 8 weeks (for 2W 2L)
Collingwood have played Brisbane (away), GWS (away), Swans (home), Port (home) and Blues in the opening 8 weeks (for 3W 2L).

You have played one more contender so far and now have 4 straight weeks where you don't play one whilst Carlton play 3. So in a month Carlton would have played 7 top-6 contenders to Collingwood's 5. Not sure how ours is a soft start...
Collingwood have played 6 of last years 7 other top 8 sides in first 8 rounds.

Carlton have played 3 of last years other top 8 sides in first 8 rounds.

That’s a better guide than what we have seen so far. You can’t really gauge where teams are at until about Rd 15 or so.

Your draw has been far easier than ours to date. We’ve also had 3 trips interstate as well.

Go easy on the call on Nick, he may very well develop into being one of the very best in the competition one day, I fully expect that will be the case, but it's a bit early to call it. I like the irony in the fact that a once fanatical Carlton supporter could very well end up as the best ever Collingwood player.
I wouldn’t think it’s a stretch to say he is the competitions best.

It’s Bont or Daicos.

Collingwood have played 6 of last years 7 other top 8 sides in first 8 rounds.

Carlton have played 3 of last years other top 8 sides in first 8 rounds.

That’s a better guide than what we have seen so far. You can’t really gauge where teams are at until about Rd 15 or so.

Your draw has been far easier than ours to date. We’ve also had 3 trips interstate as well.
I would agree but it has been eight rounds now and I think there are 6-8 teams that look a bit better then the others which I called the "top-6 contenders" above.

Teams like Geelong were not top 8 last year and have been very good this year. Teams like Saints the opposite. So to say Saints is a harder matchup so far this year than Cats is a bit disingenuous imo

Last edited:
I wouldn’t think it’s a stretch to say he is the competitions best.

It’s Bont or Daicos.
Fair enough but I think that's all very subjective and I don't believe that there is a 'best', there are quite a few extremely good players but putting them up against each other isn't easy. These days when deciding a 'best' people invariably pick midfielders, I don't necessarily agree with that, it's why I no longer take much interest in the Brownlow, it's too midfielder-centric.

I find it easier to name a GOAT and that for me is Ablett Senior, IMO streets ahead of anybody past or present.

Heeney is by far and away the best player in the comp this season and it's not even close lmao.

Blokes averaging almost 10 score Involvements a game and 1.6 goals + 1 GA playing full time on ball. Daicos, Bont, Trac... None are close to him at the moment.

Fair enough but I think that's all very subjective and I don't believe that there is a 'best', there are quite a few extremely good players but putting them up against each other isn't easy. These days when deciding a 'best' people invariably pick midfielders, I don't necessarily agree with that, it's why I no longer take much interest in the Brownlow, it's too midfielder-centric.

I find it easier to name a GOAT and that for me is Ablett Senior, IMO streets ahead of anybody past or present.
Yeap, GAS is by far the best player I have seen, absolute freak that could play in an any arc

You know it's true - but just hoping it's not when it counts.

2:45 to go on Friday night stupid kick just bombing it in. I don't follow the Blue that much but even my Carlton mates watching the finals last year didn't want him to get the ball.
We would have been down 5-6 goals if it wasn’t for McKay on Friday.

I love how footy fans always love to harp on about one mistake.

The game was lost by Carlton well before then. Countless other mistakes, weak efforts etc. Weren’t up to it all night and the only thing keeping us in it was the Pies not having a lot of firepower. If we got dominated like that against the Cats forward line it would have been ugly.

Pies have 110k members yet have never had 100k to a home and away game . Go figure. Another silly comment from a pies supporter after a win. I should never be surprised by what I read in here

You do realise Collingwood (+ Carlton no doubt) have members all around the country who aren’t able to fly to Melbourne every other weekend to watch home games?

Back