Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

What the feck does 1958 have to do with the modern era?

A nice clean starting point for the modern era is the start of the 21st century.

That was when most of the growing pains and transition from suburban VFL football to the expanded AFL comp was completed. 16 teams were established and Docklands was built.

We are into our 24th season of the modern era.

The strongest teams have been - Geelong and Hawthorn and then Brisbane. Sydney and Collingwood have played in most GFs (6) and both have a 2-4 record.

The worst team has been Carlton and it aint even close, 5 wooden spoons and yet to have a top4 finish after H&A let alone even lool like making a GF.

Yet the Baggers keep wanting everyone to just focus on the 1970/80s when they used to be good. Just like Melbourne were good in the 1950/60s, neither have any relevance to the modern era.

At least Melbourne have lifted themselves off the bottom and won a flag in the modern era.
How convenient that you have anointed yourself as the decision maker of when the modern era began

I said in the modern era. You were a flag winning machine in the 20's and 30's no doubt.
They were but I also believe a lot of their Grand Final opponents worked at CUB which was run by Collingwood heavyweights.

Before Grand Finals Collingwood players would get time off and the opposition would get extra shifts.

I also recall a story about Bob Pratt (Swans Full Forward) being hit by a truck before the Grand Final and not being able to play, which essentially gifted Collingwood the match.

Lots of dodgy stuff going on back in those days.

They were but I also believe a lot of their Grand Final opponents worked at CUB which was run by Collingwood heavyweights.

Before Grand Finals Collingwood players would get time off and the opposition would get extra shifts.

I also recall a story about Bob Pratt (Swans Full Forward) being hit by a truck before the Grand Final and not being able to play, which essentially gifted Collingwood the match.

Now that sounds more like the collingwood I know. BTW, I was driving that truck and I swear he just run out in front of me. I wasn't trying to take him out the GF, I was just after his teeth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King is one of the better game anylists, Hoyne, well, he's just a jockey
I agree on Hoyne but disagree on King. Overanalyses things way too much - really feels like a lot of his analysis is far too general in nature that it could be applied to either team based on the result. He also goes far too early with calls meaning he ends up flip flopping a lot.

I agree on Hoyne but disagree on King. Overanalyses things way too much - really feels like a lot of his analysis is far too general in nature that it could be applied to either team based on the result. He also goes far too early with calls meaning he ends up flip flopping a lot.
I'm listening to Hoyne before anyone else out there

You Carlton guys just can't handle the truth!!

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why did we get pick 16 in the draft which equates to 3rd spot
Draft order doesnt equal the ladder.

The ladder is finalized at the end of the H&A season. It is why you have a minor premier, who from 1991-2022 were awarded the McClelland Trophy.

Teams then compete in finals to see who will be the eventual premier.

Ie in 2016, Sydney were minor premiers and were awarded the McLelland Trophy for finishing 1st on the ladder. The Dogs dominated the finals and were the only team to have ever been premiers after finishing 7th.

The AFL doesnt go and then update a post finals ladder that incorporates finals results to H&A results.

I would love to see a 2016 AFL ladder that has Bulldogs in 1st, Sydney in 2nd...but it doesnt exist. Bulldogs finished 7th in 2016.

Why Carlton fans continue to pretend that the AFL releases an updated ladder that incorporates finals results is baffling.

Draft order doesnt equal the ladder.

The ladder is finalized at the end of the H&A season. It is why you have a minor premier, who from 1991-2022 were awarded the McClelland Trophy.

Teams then compete in finals to see who will be the eventual premier.

Ie in 2016, Sydney were minor premiers and were awarded the McLelland Trophy for finishing 1st on the ladder. The Dogs dominated the finals and were the only team to have ever been premiers after finishing 7th.

The AFL doesnt go and then update a post finals ladder that incorporates finals results to H&A results.

I would love to see a 2016 AFL ladder that has Bulldogs in 1st, Sydney in 2nd...but it doesnt exist. Bulldogs finished 7th in 2016.

Why Carlton fans continue to pretend that the AFL releases an updated ladder that incorporates finals results is baffling.
Dogs finished 7th then were given pick 18 in the draft because at the end of the season they finished 1st, them's the facts mate, and Carlton fans aren't pretending anything, at the end of the finals last season we were the third best team.

Last edited:
Dogs finished 7th then were given pick 18 in the draft because at the end of the season they finished 1st, them's the facts mate, and Carlton fans aren't pretending anything at the end of the finals last season we were the third best team.
Second best, if we didn't kick so many points and Brisbane couldn't miss, they would have looked even more average. Plus Jo Daniher has a head that I want to use as a trampoline

So Buckley wrong, didnt strengthen the position of Pie posters, sack him as analyst of the game.

Hoyne now more reputable due to favourable analysis

A click bait media dream
I honestly don't remember the Buckley thing, did I present it as 100% truth like Hoyne's stats?

I honestly don't remember the Buckley thing, did I present it as 100% truth like Hoyne's stats?

No, you presented it as a p1sstake

Hoyne's stats are true, but interpretation will vary, which was heavily influenced by the WC game

Good test the next 4 weeks against mid table or better sides

Although, you are missing some important cogs

You'd have something if Bob Pratt was hit by somebody who didn't support South Melbourne

Back