• Brent Ratten

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Mark Williams

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 30 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So this succession plan thingy. A head coach comes in to train the best potential head coach in the land. So the head coach's goal is not to win a premiership but to train somebody? Why would you become head coach if not to win a premiership (bar GWS and sheedy which is a different situation altogether). Wouldn't the best potential head coach going around want the head coach role rather than playing second fiddle and possible be used and abused then kicked out the door via a change of mind by the board?

What message does this send to the players. While we have this head coach we are not in the hunt. Seems like a load of crap to me. A head coach is brought in to win a flag. That is the primary goal. If this is not their primary goal then in my eyes they are not the head coach.

I must be missing a vital link here.

So this succession plan thingy. A head coach comes in to train the best potential head coach in the land. So the head coach's goal is not to win a premiership but to train somebody? Why would you become head coach if not to win a premiership (bar GWS and sheedy which is a different situation altogether). Wouldn't the best potential head coach going around want the head coach role rather than playing second fiddle and possible be used and abused then kicked out the door via a change of mind by the board?

What message does this send to the players. While we have this head coach we are not in the hunt. Seems like a load of crap to me. A head coach is brought in to win a flag. That is the primary goal. If this is not their primary goal then in my eyes they are not the head coach.

Funny...this sounds a bit familiar

The Collywobbles tried this with Malthouse and Buckley

Uncle Mick was to show Little Bucks the ropes and really train him up for a really ridgy-didgy SERIOUS tilt at their next flag.

Everything was going swimmingly until something weird happened.....Uncle Mick won the Flag while "mentoring" LB and decided that he actually wasn't REALLY all that keen on handing over to Junior after all.

In fact, Uncle Mick decided to throw out the anchor and it wasn't until Grandpa Eddie frog marched him out the front door that Junior got to sit in the big chair.

And now there are serious doubts as to whether Junior is ever really going to do as good a job as his "mentor"

Weird eh?

Can't remember who said it (Hammo?) but completely agree that the succession plan falls down in the following area:

We want to attract someone to this position who is talented enough that we want to keep him for much more than just 2 years.

I'm all for innovation. However, you also need to ask the question "Why is this new?" Sometimes, an idea hasn't been implemented before because it is stupid or is too difficult to achieve in practice.

I think that innovative organisations have a deep understanding of the environment they work in. They are filled with passionate and creative people, able to apply that deep understanding in a new or improved way.

Does that sound like us?

FWIW - Curious Mail this morning linking Schwab to the selection committee. Dean Warren the only other name mentioned. Think it was a joint Davis/Hamilton article.
Still spraying a lot of names around, but focus on Worsfold who is reported to be not happy with the WC deal.

I think it comes down to money unfortunately. Would be so much cheaper signing a named head coach for two years than for seven. Sign the assistant coach on a long term deal with the knowing that they will not only learn off the best, but also that they will 100% be the head coach later on the track with a list in premiership contention. Could easily get the best assistant in the land with that set up but getting a good head coach will be very difficult. Would be cheaper long term as the assistant would only be on 350-500k a year max, and that will increase a bit when they become head coach but it will no where be near the 1.5m that Roos is asking for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheedy is well past it though. It could help with sponsors and media presence. I'm not sure about this.

Yep, would be the figurehead but everyone would know that the senior assistant in waiting would be calling the shots.

If we sacked Voss for this arrangement, god help us.

I would be okay with Sheedy as a figurehead. I would much rather someone like him who is able to lay the foundations and processes that allow a football department to function.

If we do end up with him I would have preferred Voss, but having said that I think he's a safe bet for the model that has been put forward by the board.

Side note: How did it all come to this? I was so confident in where we were headed a month ago, now I feel like our future is at its most precarious since 2009.

I would be okay with Sheedy as a figurehead. I would much rather someone like him who is able to lay the foundations and processes that allow a football department to function.

If we do end up with him I would have preferred Voss, but having said that I think he's a safe bet for the model that has been put forward by the board.

Side note: How did it all come to this? I was so confident in where we were headed a month ago, now I feel like our future is at its most precarious since 2009.

I don't think you'd be alone in feeling that way. I understood that not everyone was happy with the results Voss was getting, but it felt like (if that's even possible) he learned a lot from his first two years and the team was moving in the right direction. Moving on though, I'm not sure if I agree on Sheedy. I don't think I really like the succession plan idea, but if that's where the club went then we could do a lot worse than Sheedy so long as they got the right assistant; he ticks a lot of boxes in those circumstances.

I can't help but feel we'd be better off making a single head coach appointment, but the problem is I have no idea who that could be. I think I heard Huddo (on AFL 360) say something like, "If it's not Roos, then is there any other announcement that can justify this [sacking Voss]?". I feel like that's where we are - Roos is out, so any announcement now is going to seem underwhelming, even though it might end up bearing fruit. Some might say the most "solid" pick is Eade, but that's up for serious debate and I get the feeling he'd prefer the Demons job. As much as I would love someone with premiership experience, I don't think I have a great deal of faith in any of the options out there. It feels to me like signing the likes of Mark Williams is about as much a roll of the dice as picking up Peter Sumich and hoping he can "do a Hinkley". It's a topsy turvy world!

When they let Voss go I figured, if the board has a clear plan to get someone better in place, then perhaps it can justify this sudden move... but comparing the events of the last few days (Roos out, Lions just now approaching AFLCA, Voss interview ect) with Angus Johnson's comments at the press conference makes the board look very poor, and not at all like a group with a clear plan and a short-list of candidates ready to go. Really frustrating.

Yes please!

Agreed! Silly that he was floated as a senior coach possibility, but what club wouldn't want him mentoring their players in some way? I'd imagine every club would feel the same about Black after he hangs up the boots.

Back