Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

I think WHE has been okay in recent weeks. He will never crunch packs or go where angels fear to tread but I think references to his timidity are wildly exaggerated. I was angry with his form a few weeks back because of his lethargy when a hard chase was required. He just looked disinterested. Recently he seems more engaged and did lay one or two effective tackles.

There is nobody in the VFL who would be better if they replaced him as he still has that ability to stand on top of a pack or do something classy and freakish.

I think WHE has been okay in recent weeks. He will never crunch packs or go where angels fear to tread but I think references to his timidity are wildly exaggerated. I was angry with his form a few weeks back because of his lethargy when a hard chase was required. He just looked disinterested. Recently he seems more engaged and did lay one or two effective tackles.

There is nobody in the VFL who would be better if they replaced him as he still has that ability to stand on top of a pack or do something classy and freakish.
hopefully Ash Johnson will do that job soon ..!

I've had enough of Will Hoskin-Elliott. Today was the last straw. He soccers the ball instead of trying to possess it because he's afraid of contact. He kicked the ball out on the full twice because he flinched at pressure. In the last quarter, with the game on the line, he half arses a marking contest attempting a chest mark, lets his opponent mark the ball and walk it out of defence. It's time he spends some time in the VFL.

He is the type I'm talking about not getting games over a kid in a development year.

Ash can take Henry’s spot and Henry can move up to take WHE’s
Hmmm, not sure I would be moving Henry away from the big sticks, but that might be in his future? Guessing Ash will need a few weeks in the VFL given he only started full training last week. Fitting them all in could be a good problem to have in a few weeks' time.

Wing might be a good spot for Carmichael to get a run, if indeed he is Gaff-like.

Be great if he comes in and really looks the part from the get go. Like Marlion Pickett did a few years ago. Came in a immediately was one of the best players in the VFL. Carmichael looks a powerful unit. Does not look a winger's build to me but a big tank has got to be a huge plus

I haven't minded WHE's season so far and thought he was pretty good last year.

Was really hard to watch yesterday though and didn't think his attack on the contest was up to scratch. I thought he'd been a lot better in that regard but yesterday was hard to watch. I spose the wet didn't help him.

I'm happy to give him a couple more weeks to get back to form, I like what he adds to the team when playing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ever since he suffered that innocuous leg/hip injury he has never been the same again.
He used to be lightning quick but he doesnt break open into space much since that injury---he has still kept his ability to leap and mark overhead although more sparingly these days. He should be out of contract this season--and i daresay would have to be a contender for delisting--if we needed to clear some decks.
Otherwise--1yr deal purely for depth.

I don’t think Thomas is the best example here, he was still bulkier than WHE during his peak with us and definitely looked like he put on weight at Carlton.
Thomas was a broad shouldered stickman. He had virtually no muscle definition.
As for when he moved to Carlton - that’s when I stopped observing him or caring.

hopefully Ash Johnson will do that job soon ..!

From the little I’ve seen of Johnson through his VFL appearances, I doubt he has the work rate up and down the ground to replace WHE. I’d love to see how WHE’s gps data stacks up against others in the team in terms of territory he’s covering and at what pace.

On the mark​

Most accurate kicks for goal (2017-2022)

PlayerClubMtGoalsBehindsSAGSAG %
Harry HimmelbergGWS Giants1121456622365.0%
Will Hoskin-ElliottCollingwood1161114217364.2%
Nick LarkeyNorth Melbourne621023716163.4%
Luke BreustHawthorn1101908430961.5%
Tom McDonaldMelbourne981497524461.1%
Anthony McDonald-TipungwutiEssendon1051456523960.7%
Jack DarlingWest Coast Eagles11923710939560.0%
Peter WrightGold Coast Suns/Essendon781115718759.4%
Daniel McStayBrisbane Lions108975716459.1%
Ben BrownNorth Melbourne/Melbourne9723611740158.9%
Jesse HoganMelbourne/Fremantle/GWS Giants661186320158.7%
Matt TabernerFremantle641145619857.6%
Josh J. KennedyWest Coast Eagles9925213944456.8%
Jeremy FinlaysonGWS Giants/Port Adelaide761045618456.5%
Sample size is top 100 for shots at goal.
Source: Champion Data

Remove this Banner Ad

Back