World Cup Day 31 Australia v New Zealand @ Lords

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey is a good keeper IMO

Has taken some hangers for Redbacks/Strikers. His footballer's athleticism shining through. Hands up to the stumps usually excellent.

Having said that, I've been disappointed with his keeping thus far. Has coughed up too many chances and hasn't snared those half chances that turn games.

I think he can though and hope we persist beyond this series (and in other formats over time). He's better with the gloves than what he's showing but once you get a reputation for being sloppy then everything that goes to ground (even thick edges up to the stumps that hit you in the leg that Alan Knott wouldn't have caught) get piled on as further evidence that you're a dud with the gloves.

Carey is a good keeper IMO

Has taken some hangers for Redbacks/Strikers. His footballer's athleticism shining through. Hands up to the stumps usually excellent.

Having said that, I've been disappointed with his keeping thus far. Has coughed up too many chances and hasn't snared those half chances that turn games.

I think he can though and hope we persist beyond this series (and in other formats over time). He's better with the gloves than what he's showing but once you get a reputation for being sloppy then everything that goes to ground (even thick edges up to the stumps that hit you in the leg that Alan Knott wouldn't have caught) get piled on as further evidence that you're a dud with the gloves.
I'm not sure he really has much competition for the gloves though in the short term. Wade is not going to keep for Australia again, and Handscomb would not be an improvement with the gloves (also I'm not sure Handscomb could play the accelerator role as well as Carey has).

I would take 30-40 but Paine average 24 at a SR of 35 against India on absolute roads last summer. Not saying Carey is the man but Paine clearly isn’t the one.
He has a career average of 35, is the man not allowed the have a series where he under performs with the bat a tad?

So into the finals......dead rubber coming up...do we consider resting some players??

Would we rest Starc???.....I would hate to see him get injured in a dead rubber game...could be our campaign all over if he goes down

Or do we keep the same winning formula??

So into the finals......dead rubber coming up...do we consider resting some players??

Would we rest Starc???.....I would hate to see him get injured in a dead rubber game...could be our campaign all over if he goes down

Or do we keep the same winning formula??
We have at most 3 games left over 14 days.

**** pretty lucky that khawaja played a smart innings. Highest scoring ODI player in 2019, and we consistently criticize him. Seems very very odd
Sometimes in ODIs it's not just about runs, but also against whom they're scored and under what kind of match-pressure.
I'm ambivalent about Khawaja, who scores big on flat-tracks and seems unable to work the ball around to rotate the strike; sometimes looks like he's batting for himself, not the team, but those are opinions only.
Very solid partnership with Carey last night just when we needed :thumbsu:.

Vs NZ, not "smart" as much as lucky (dropped twice). Here's his record in the WC 2019:
Bat & BowlTeamOppositionGroundMatch DateScorecard
88Australiav New ZealandLord's29 Jun 2019ODI # 4178
23Australiav EnglandLord's25 Jun 2019ODI # 4173
89Australiav BangladeshNottingham20 Jun 2019ODI # 4166
10Australiav Sri LankaThe Oval15 Jun 2019ODI # 4159
18Australiav PakistanTaunton12 Jun 2019ODI # 4157
42Australiav IndiaThe Oval9 Jun 2019ODI # 4155
13Australiav West IndiesNottingham6 Jun 2019ODI # 4152
15Australiav AfghanistanBristol1 Jun 2019ODI # 4146

Six starts with a high score of 42 in them. Made starts, but only two 50+, no tons. Overall, that's 298 @ average of 37.25, good but not dominant. His fielding has definitely improved, though.
Did his best work opening with Finch, previously. Can play a flexible-position anchor role in this team, depending on Finch-Warner and whether we need quick runs. His place in the side not under question, or threat.
I still get the feeling that if we need quick runs with Khawaja at the crease, we won't get them from him.

What? Dead rubber? NZ is fighting for its life. They'd be odds on to miss the semis now.
Doubtful; NZ NRR is much better than Pakistan's.
The Poms are fighting for their lives, for 4th spot, which makes me rethink a previous post.
I'll be hoping India win tonight = Poms are out! :thumbsu:

Doubtful; NZ NRR is much better than Pakistan's.
The Poms are fighting for their lives, for 4th spot, which makes me rethink a previous post.
I'll be hoping India win tonight = Poms are out! :thumbsu:

The Poms can still make it even if the lose tonight.
They would need to beat NZ and hope Pakistan lose to Bangladesh
which isn't unthinkable.

Would love to see them get belted tonight though.

The Poms can still make it even if the lose tonight.
They would need to beat NZ and hope Pakistan lose to Bangladesh
which isn't unthinkable.

Would love to see them get belted tonight though.

India could really screw them by beating England tonight and then losing to Bangladesh.

Then you would only need a result either way in the Pakistan and Bangladesh match for England to be gone regardless of the result in ENG v NZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be ideal if Smith and Maxy were slightly better bowlers and could get 10 ok overs out of the part timers....Wade takes Stoinis' spot (if he was in the squad) and we would be scary good. I would go...Uzi and Finch, Smith, Wade, Warner, Carey, Maxy.

No way in the world are you dropping the Warner, who is leading run scorer in the comp down the order.
That's just crazy.

Pointless talking about Wade.

No way in the world are you dropping the Warner, who is leading run scorer in the comp down the order.
That's just crazy.

Pointless talking about Wade.
I agree on the Wade point, it is not going to happen. However, if I was picking a team at the start..and had the benefit of hindsight..that is the order I would have went with...addresses the problem with 3 openers and changes up our middle order that we are struggling with. Smith, Maxy and Finch are not that good anyway with the ball, so it would cause a different problem.

Turned out to be a good result for the Aussies. Worked really hard with the bat to get a total to bowl at.Then delivered with the ball and in the field.

more the pitch conditions suiting spin?
Maxwell didn't bowl much

Made me wonder if they were fleshing out options
Its because Finch and Smith turn the ball away from the two right-handers who were out there at the time. Its the same reason Williamson bowled Santner's overs when Carey and Khawaja were out there. Also why Smith changed to bowling offies when he was bowling at Neesham.

Khawaja pretty important innings last night...our number 3 for the forseeable time being, just hopefully the side is strong enough to switch the order around to fit the match situation

NZ all out for 150 bit worrying for them
The opening batters not set in stone.Guptill and who?
Alot of pressure on Williamson and Taylor to m make the bulk of their runs .

Starc in beast mode this WC another 5 for v NZ.
Nicholls was looking alright. Unlucky to get out like that

Back