Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yze back in hunt
02 December 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

demons.jpg

0,1658,5778776,00.jpg

(Feeling fine, Adem Yze is ready to put last year's injury woes behind him and don his beloved red and blue guernsey in 2008.)

VETERAN Adem Yze is desperate to reclaim a Demon jumper after a horror season. His axing after Round 2 was compounded by a groin injury which required surgery in July.
With a year to run on his contract, the 30-year-old wants to prove the doubters wrong.
"It's hard to be up the whole time form-wise," said Yze, who started his 14th pre-season last month."
"I was down, but you get an injury, as I did, and you miss all those games."
"It might freshen me up to keep me going a little bit longer, hopefully."
"If I hadn't missed any games and, coming into the last year of my contract, I might have felt a bit flat. But it's been good being out there and training."
"I need to play well to earn my spot and then sit down at the end of next year but there's no reason why, with an injury-free year, that I can't just keep going for a couple more years."
"I've got a little bit more to offer and I'm not giving up."
Yze is on a modified program but will soon join full training. He said he needed to step down to Sandringham in the VFL last season to stop speculation and scrutiny about whether his form merited him reaching Jim Stynes's record of 244 consecutive games.
"I didn't think I'd played the worst game I'd ever played in the first round and then it was all about should this record be broken and all that," Yze said.
"I actually had a meeting planned with the coach (Neale Daniher) and he asked how I felt and I said, 'look, this record doesn't mean anything to me and if I'm going to get scrutinised after getting 20 touches or whatever it was, I'd rather just knock it on the head now and not have people focus on my form'."
Yze is one of the oldest on the playing list but is not seeking any formal leadership position. The players are doing a course, but Yze supports incumbent David Neitz.
" 'Neita' has been an awesome captain. There are a handful of guys who could take over but I wouldn't think things would change unless he didn't want it," Yze said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's hope he can get back to his best in 2008! Maybe he could teach young Maric a thing or two before his days as an AFL footballer are over.

With Godders gone he'll be the number one target for abuse here unless he has a big year.
He'll have to be absolutely disastrous to overtake Miller in my book.

I don't think he was too bad last year, lets remember he isn't ever going to be the hardest player out there, but he selflessly gave up his shot at the record, then came back and in one game had nearly 40 touches and went pretty hard at it. He is still more than handy on a half forward flank and is capable of having 25 touches and 4 goals and adding some class to the forward line.

I feel he has to be a forward, he has great skills but often just whacks it on the boot when hes in the midfield without looking where he's kicking it or for a handball option.

Around goals he is totally different.

I feel he has to be a forward, he has great skills but often just whacks it on the boot when hes in the midfield without looking where he's kicking it or for a handball option.

Around goals he is totally different.

He hasn't been a midfielder for years.

Which is strange because he isn't that old, and with his style of game, and the fact that he played 200 odd in a row, injuries and a tiring body would not have been a huge issue.

I luv Ozze as well and even have his # 13 framed Jumper in my room. He has always puts his body on the line for us and gives us 100 % in the red and blue. Lets give him the respect that he deserves.

I luv Ozze as well and even have his # 13 framed Jumper in my room. He has always puts his body on the line for us and gives us 100 % in the red and blue. Lets give him the respect that he deserves.

I can't agree on that. He used to be one of my favourites from 1998-2002, and he's been a very good player for this club, but to say that he always puts his body on the line and gives 100% is simply not true.

Its hard to really judge Yze at the moment, because we have been so used to him in the side, and with his stint on the sidelines its a case of out of sight out of mind. We are all excited about our future prospects that its interesting to find that some people can't find room for Ooze in their best 22 for next year.

I feel he is one of a handful of genuine matchwinners in our team. Granted he doesn't perform week in, week out, but if he wins a game off his own boot once every 4 weeks I'll be satisfied.

There was a QB game a couple of years ago when he absolutely tore Collingwood to shreds, that they were forced to move Clement off Robbo and onto him. That in turn meant Robbo came out and dominated the last qtr because of the hack the pies chose to replace Clement with. He is a dangerous small forward capable of something special everytime he plays. I still maintain he was screwed out of goal of the year. How the hell Lloyds was deemed the best with the goals kicked this year, I don't know. Headland, Jackson, Motlop, Yze all more deserving than Llyods.

Yze deserves his chance to play next year, albeit as a small forward. I'm sure that everyone on this board still gets a bit of pleasure from yelling out 'Ooze' everytime he gets the ball. I know I do.

Its hard to really judge Yze at the moment, because we have been so used to him in the side, and with his stint on the sidelines its a case of out of sight out of mind. We are all excited about our future prospects that its interesting to find that some people can't find room for Ooze in their best 22 for next year.

I feel he is one of a handful of genuine matchwinners in our team. Granted he doesn't perform week in, week out, but if he wins a game off his own boot once every 4 weeks I'll be satisfied.

There was a QB game a couple of years ago when he absolutely tore Collingwood to shreds, that they were forced to move Clement off Robbo and onto him. That in turn meant Robbo came out and dominated the last qtr because of the hack the pies chose to replace Clement with. He is a dangerous small forward capable of something special everytime he plays. I still maintain he was screwed out of goal of the year. How the hell Lloyds was deemed the best with the goals kicked this year, I don't know. Headland, Jackson, Motlop, Yze all more deserving than Llyods.

Yze deserves his chance to play next year, albeit as a small forward. I'm sure that everyone on this board still gets a bit of pleasure from yelling out 'Ooze' everytime he gets the ball. I know I do.

i wouldn't say Yze is a small forward i think he's about 187cm isn't he? :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back