Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok happy to stake my future on bigfooty to say that he leaves and will play for another melbourne club next year.

Im pretty much the same

Kudos that is gutsy. I am just passing on what I was told as late as Friday. The sentiment was very much he was happy at Essendon and would remain there.

Intersting though let's assumke for the sake of the argument it was the Bulldogs, I have no idea how they woulod get this done. Essendon would want a lot more than their first round pick which wouldnt be enough for Essendon and if not would ask for a Macrae or a Bontempelli.

The Dogs wont have an early PSD pick so I would actually give them very little chance.

I was told as of Friday that negotiations are ongoing with Essendon and there are no problems anticipated.

Unlike teh Ryder situation Essendon will not bend over here.

If Tippett could go through the pre-season draft to Sydney, then there's a pretty good chance Carlisle could get through to us. With the amount of power players and their managers get nowadays, it's pretty rare now that players out of contract don't end up where they prefer.

Essendon is hard at the trade table but when deadlines loom as with Crameri and Ryder, you guys normally know to do the right thing for the club and get the trade done.

No doubt you'll request something silly like Bontempelli in return, and you might as well, but you guys will end up with a first rounder and a decent borderline best 22 player and should be relatively happy with it.

Would:

Dogs: Carlisle + steak knives (later pick?)
Bombers: 1st round + Minson

work?

Win-win IMO. Dogs get that gun KPD that they're crying out for, Bombers pick up a tap ruckman that should be a pretty big upgrade over Bellchambers.

Would:

work?

Win-win IMO. Dogs get that gun KPD that they're crying out for, Bombers pick up a tap ruckman that should be a pretty big upgrade over Bellchambers.
I'd do that even without the steak knives to be honest.

Minson would be a good fit for the bombers, but he's out of favour a little bit here so could be a win-win.

Would:

work?

We lose that easily. Minson is cooked, in no way is he an upgrade on Bellchambers.

We lose that easily. Minson is cooked, in no way is he an upgrade on Bellchambers.
Not cooked at all, was in good form in the early rounds, and is definitely an upgrade on Bellchambers while youse are challenging like you all believe you are.

Only reason he's out of the team is because we want to give Cordy a proper shot at the number one ruck to hopefully show something finally, and also an athletic Ruckman suits our needs over the last couple of weeks rather than the lumbering Minno type. Will probably be back this week anyway.

Not cooked at all, was in good form in the early rounds, and is definitely an upgrade on Bellchambers while youse are challenging like you all believe you are.

I don't believe we are, would be an absolute waste of a list spot. Ruckmen are well down on the list of improvements we need to make. Need midfield grunt, pace, small forwards, key forward depth all much more than we need another lumbering ruck.

Would:

work?

Seriously? Why would we do that, let alone throw in steak knives? 29yo ruckman who can't get a game in front of Ayce Cordy and an unproven shot in the draft vs a definite AFL standard KPP who's been borderline AA in defence and kicked 8 in a game up forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tippett could go through the pre-season draft to Sydney, then there's a pretty good chance Carlisle could get through to us. With the amount of power players and their managers get nowadays, it's pretty rare now that players out of contract don't end up where they prefer.

Essendon is hard at the trade table but when deadlines loom as with Crameri and Ryder, you guys normally know to do the right thing for the club and get the trade done.

No doubt you'll request something silly like Bontempelli in return, and you might as well, but you guys will end up with a first rounder and a decent borderline best 22 player and should be relatively happy with it.
How would he get through to you in the pre season draft with Brisbane needing KPP and us clearly having a pick before you. You would have to trade for him or miss out completely.

Last edited:

Only reason he's out of the team is because we want to give Cordy a proper shot at the number one ruck to hopefully show something finally, and also an athletic Ruckman suits our needs over the last couple of weeks rather than the lumbering Minno type. Will probably be back this week anyway.
Minson is cooked. He was good for a while, and had an outstanding 2013, but 2014/15 was poor. It's not an upgrade.

Got a funny feeling that "whilst the dogs are favourites if he leaves" if he left someone like Richmond or Geelong would trump us. Richmond would have a mountain to spend + another first rounder to use if Rance left and no doubt they would want a ready made replacement for Rance.

A couple of posters on our board and the main board "all of whom have pretty accurate information" have said that he will most definitely have a look around this trade period. As for us i think we'd offer first rounder + something else but really we don't have anything much else of value that would be on offer.

How would he get through to you in the pre season draft with Brisbane needing KPP and us clearly having a pick before you. You would have to trade for him or miss out completely. Plus I could see us trading the pick we got for Aish to Essendon for Carlisle
How did Tippett get to Sydney when the bulldogs had a higher pre-season draft pick and needed a key forward badly, let alone the numerous other teams that would have wanted him? (This applies also to all the other recent cases of players walking through the preseason draft)

It's because teams don't want players who aren't committed to them and/or aren't prepared to be tied to specific contracts demanded. This is just going by recent trends. Obviously this could be broken at some stage and a club takes that gamble, but I think most would be pretty reluctant to take someone who could end up being more trouble than they're worth later on.

Would probably end up being the Dogs' first + second for Carlisle + Essendon's third. The Dogs will more than likely have a top 8-10 pick, despite their excellent start.

How did Tippett get to Sydney when the bulldogs had a higher pre-season draft pick and needed a key forward badly, let alone the numerous other teams that would have wanted him? (This applies also to all the other recent cases of players walking through the preseason draft)

It's because teams don't want players who aren't committed to them and/or aren't prepared to be tied to specific contracts demanded. This is just going by recent trends. Obviously this could be broken at some stage and a club takes that gamble, but I think most would be pretty reluctant to take someone who could end up being more trouble than they're worth later on.
It was the suspension he had over he's head with him missing half the season it scared a lot of teams off can't see the same thing happening with Carlisle Brisbane wouldn't care if he wanted to there or whatever the would take the risk with them desperately needing KPP's

It was the suspension he had over he's head with him missing half the season it scared a lot of teams off can't see the same thing happening with Carlisle Brisbane wouldn't care if he wanted to there or whatever the would take the risk with them desperately needing KPP's

It's a different situation and there were more things stopping teams from taking Tippett, but realistically there is no way that him missing games from suspension is the main or even close to the main reason he wasn't taken. It was a factor, but it was certainly low down on the issues list given that when it comes to player recruitment, missing some early games doesn't make or break decisions.

There is a chance that Brisbane would take Carlisle. How likely that is will depend on what the club hears back from his manager. If he says he would be happy to go to Brisbane, then the Lions would have to do it. If they say he is intent on going to the bulldogs or another Victorian team, then no way.

He won't be playing at the Bulldogs bookmark it.

I find it laughable that posters on here think Essendon would be unreasonable by asking for a player of Macrae's ilk. I understand there is no way the Dogs would trade him, but Carlisle was very nearly an all Australian defender two years ago and last year played some very impressive football completely obliterating the Dogs (Roughhead and Morris) with 8 goals and the Pies with 18 marks.

It is all academic anyway, he will not be going anywhere.

Clubs can try and pick at Essendon like a dead carcass, it will be to no avail.

Can't wait til some of these young guns come out of contract......

Last edited:
He won't be playing at the Bulldogs bookmark it.

I find it laughable that posters on here think Essendon would be unreasonable by asking for a player of Macrae's ilk. I understand there is no way the Dogs would trade him, but Carlisle was very nearly an all Australian defender two years ago and last year played some very impressive football completely obliterating the Dogs (Roughhead and Morris) with 8 goals and the Pies with 18 marks.

It is all academic anyway, he will not be going anywhere.

Clubs can try and pick at Essendon like a dead carcass, it will be to no avail.

Can't wait til some of these young guns come out of contract......

If your talking specifically about the dogs then you might be waiting a while.

But if your talking about GWS and Gold coast then the time is now. I'm sure all us dogs fans would actively encourage the bombers and other victorian teams to move on the expansion sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back