Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't read too much into Carlisle's celebrating or lack thereof, he's a pretty reserved guy.

How would you know? Unless you have contact with Carlisle.

I can see a three-way trade as a possibility involving other clubs. Don't see much potential in the Victorian market.

Plus I don't see why he would leave Essendon for another Vic club.

He is a required player at Essendon and I don't expect Essendon to back out so easily.

I can see a three-way trade as a possibility involving other clubs. Don't see much potential in the Victorian market.

He is a required player at Essendon and I don't expect Essendon to back out so easily.
Good luck with that , you obviously have no idea

Unfortunately you are going to have to trust me and wait until October for the proof.
Look I think that there is a possibility, but that's just a gut feeling. It would be pretty crap to be honest if he left with Ryder leaving as well.

What club would you think he would go to? And what do you think is the reason for him leaving?

If he was hell bent on leaving then there are a couple of options I'd consider

Carlisle + 2nd rounder for Peter Wright + Jack Leslie

Carlisle + 1st rounder for Dylan Shiel and Cam McCarthy
Wow. Yeah that's a bit much. GWS would have to be extremely desperate and a touch crazy to do that deal. Either of those players and a pick for Carlisle would do the job. But I would prefer Carlisle to stay at Essendon.

To be fair Two planks usually has very good info in regards to the bulldogs. And another extremely reliable poster on the dogs board also said he wont leave vic and is still likely to sign with the bombers but that we definitely have an offer on the table.

I'm one of the few who is not sold on going hard at Carlisle to be honest, gun defender but I really do rate our young defenders very highly and feel if were going to throw another big contract out we have a much bigger hole at CHF that we need to fill first. But in saying that if you get the opportunity to bring in a very young elite defender, well you don't pass that up and our first pick is a good place to start. Or if you need mature players we could bring a 3rd team in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair Two planks usually has very good info in regards to the bulldogs. And another extremely reliable poster on the dogs board also said he wont leave vic and is still likely to sign with the bombers but that we definitely have an offer on the table.

I'm one of the few who is not sold on going hard at Carlisle to be honest, gun defender but I really do rate our young defenders very highly and feel if were going to throw another big contract out we have a much bigger hole at CHF that we need to fill first. But in saying that if you get the opportunity to bring in a very young elite defender, well you don't pass that up and our first pick is a good place to start. Or if you need mature players we could bring a 3rd team in.
That is what I was originally talking about. If Essendon are serious about getting a premiership within the next few years, a pick that will take a few years to develop is not the answer considering GWS, Gold Coast and even Melbourne and Bulldogs will only get better. We have a huge problem up forward and since Carlisle is very important to our structure, I'd be very disappointed if we only get a pick for him. Need to address our needs as well. Can't see the Dogs offering up something that will help us kick more goals so I would expect a 3rd club to come into play.

We were very lucky that the Crameri deal ended up being a win win for both clubs with Merrett. Don't often have a player from the 20s range that makes an immediate impact

I'd trade him, massive potential but doesn't seem that driven atm and his ability to play through injury is questionable. Worth more to a side as an AA quality defender than a B grade forward who occasionally dominates.

Last edited:
I'd trade him, massive potential but doesn't seem that driven atm and his ability to play through injury is questionable. Worth more to a side as an AA quality defender that a B grade forward who occasionally dominates.
Actually agree with that. Would net plenty at the trade table.

Carlisle will be re-signing with Essendon. Bookmark it.

He will not be going to the Dogs or anywhere else for that matter.

Got an update on this on Friday.
I hope so, I'd love him at the Dogs but think he would cost to much to acquire.

Ok happy to stake my future on bigfooty to say that he leaves and will play for another melbourne club next year.

Kudos that is gutsy. I am just passing on what I was told as late as Friday. The sentiment was very much he was happy at Essendon and would remain there.

Intersting though let's assumke for the sake of the argument it was the Bulldogs, I have no idea how they woulod get this done. Essendon would want a lot more than their first round pick which wouldnt be enough for Essendon and if not would ask for a Macrae or a Bontempelli.

The Dogs wont have an early PSD pick so I would actually give them very little chance.

I was told as of Friday that negotiations are ongoing with Essendon and there are no problems anticipated.

Unlike teh Ryder situation Essendon will not bend over here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back