Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

This was one journalists description of how Essendon operated:

My question is, given pretty much every media outlet, The Age/Herald Sun, SEN etc all seem to have the same opinion. Do you think they are all making it up, or do you think Essendon do truely play hardball. Sometimes its the deals that don't get done that have as much impact on how a club is perceived as the ones that do.

Do you not think there's a difference between the leverage the dogs/pies had versus what you had. Given the situation Essendon did as well as they could have. If it wasn't for other issues hanging over you're head Essendon could have sat back and told Port to up there offer to something close to GWS, or he was staying at Essendon - but even Dorodo said he was pretty sure Ryder was going to go to the grievance tribunal, and even though he said he had advice Essendon was going to win (Essendon seem to get a lot of bad advice re court cases of late) there was a sufficient chance they wouldn't for them to not be able to stand as firm as the other two clubs. Basically Essendon was dealing with Ryder as if he was out of contract because there was a chance he could walk for nothing - the others clubs didn't have that possibility.
To be honest, I'm not overly concerned how we're perceived, but if we're gonna cop the tag, at least stand up for something.

On so many levels, I'm disappointed with how we have managed the ASADA saga.
1-Allowing it to happen & not having the proper evidence to quell any concerns of everyone involved.
2-Allowing it to play out in public eye
3-Copping the governance penalties before the entire issue had been resolved
4-Handling of the coaching situation
5-Backing down at every moment someone even hints at the issue.

Its happened. ASADA will do what they will do. AFL has already punished the club.
At some point, we need to stand on our feet again. At the very least, the players who remain and the supporters who haven't abandoned deserve a club demonstrating some strength of character

If Paddy walked for nothing, but we stood our ground on not accepting the lesser of two deals, I'd be happy with that. It would mark the first step in the right direction since 2012.

I think the pick 4 story is poop.
As someone mentioned GWS also has pick 7 and if they had offered that to Essendon it would have done the trick.
Why would they offer pick 4 if pick 7 would have been jumped at?

If it looks like poop and smells like poop, then chances are it is poop.

Apparently Pick 7 didn't do the trick, that's why Pick 4 was put on the table.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I don't believe that GWS made an advance, I just don't believe that they would've offered pick 4 rather than pick 7. That would make no sense whatsoever from their perspective.

Pick 4 was probably only put on the table to encourage Essendon to take one last shot in convincing Ryder to go to GWS.

Its disappointing we didn't actually dig in like Collingwood. Particularly when they can do it and get respect for being good operators, and we don't and get labelled hard to deal with.

Paddy wanted out (yes, he had a preference, but so did we in terms of returns, 2 way street). There should have been discussions about plan's B & C if Port couldn't stump up what we wanted in return, i.e. GWS or another non-Vic destination.

Pick 4, 22 (they got from the Dees for Frost), Giles for Ryder and the pick we gave them Giles
22 goes to the Dogs for Cooney.

We land in the same place, but with pick 4 (Most likely Wright - who solves a need) instead of 17.

We sold ourselves short for a playing wanting out.
The Dogs & Pies didn't.
Its a win/compromise for us.

Im not overly fazed, but it would be nice if we stopped falling over ourselves in this saga as if it has any bearing on the outcome.
I've been chatting with a Collingwood mate on here and he is not happy with how Collingwood handled the trade period as he said that they didn't hold up strong when they gave a deadline for Beams to make a decision or after that date he will stay at Collingwood, and he (my Collingwood supporter mate) says that Collingwood didn't stand firm on that and that really annoys him.

I think negotiations are never simple when it comes to trades.
The very fact that a players wants out (for whatever reason) makes it tough on the club to get much room to move in what they can negotiate with.

The flip side of all this is that now as a club at Port we really hoping that ASADA go easy on the players involved as we now have 2 of them (Monfries and Ryder) and so we have a vested interest in seeing that all the players (most of which are still at Essendon) don't get penalised or banned.

Also I think you got a good deal with Cooney, as with the training facilities you have (ive seen them on TV and they look state of the art) he is in good hands and you can really keep him healthy if any club could.
For the pick 37 we gave you as part of the trade I think that is very good value to get Cooney for that pick and he said he wanted to come to Essendon as he likes Hird, so that is even better as you have a player that wants to play for your club, and that means everything when it comes to effort.

We didn't need draft pics as we have a steady side now and we just needed a ruckman, and pick 17 would have been pointless to us this year as that pick would not have likely have got any game time with us as our side is packed with a set group of players that play every week, but I am sure Essendon can make good use of pick 17, as well as getting Cooney also in the trade.

But I mean.. who wouldn't choose Port though... especially over the "plastic" GWS side or COLA Swans?

You haven't done that bad from this trade period, the AFL website video show thingy even admitted it, Cooney is still pretty good.

Yeah true i just wish Paddy kept his options opened would of loved pick #4 from the Giants.

Yeah true i just wish Paddy kept his options opened would of loved pick #4 from the Giants.
I can't say I agree as obviously I am biased as I am a Port supporter.
But it's tricky business this trade stuff.
To be honest I was stunned when they said you had Cooney as he was a good get, and ironically you got him for such good value as he wanted to come to play for your club (the same reason we got Ryder).

I am not sure but can clubs trade a player without the players consent?
Say if you wanted to send him to GWS, then can he say no to stop the trade?
If he could say no then you would have a disgruntled player on your side, and that's never good news for performance.
Every club wants players that want to play for the colours, and if any Port player said they want out then I would be happy to say good riddance as you don't want players that don't want to put their heart and passion into playing for the club.

I think if you can draft a future superstar with pick 17 then time may show that you got the far better deal than we did, haha
Then you will be laughing!

Essendon will finish higher than Port in 2015 if the ASADA saga results in 0 bans and is complete by round 1.

Essendon will finish higher than Port in 2015 if the ASADA saga results in 0 bans and is complete by round 1.
What do you base this upon?

Compare the Port forward line to Essendon's forward line. I know which one I would rather have.

Same thing applies to the midfield.

Defence is probably about even.

And yet Essendon will finish higher than Port :rolleyes:

I'm assuming that you're trolling, in case you're not though - what makes you say that? I think Essendon will hit the 8 again but with the previous finals campaign the whispers around the place is that we'll go deep into September again (which hey, might not happen), but this time we will actually have two decent rucks and not have Lobbe have to do everything himself. We have a young list that will be insanely salty about the prelim loss and a very strong leadership group - what do you think Essendon has that we don't?

To be honest I was stunned when they said you had Cooney as he was a good get, and ironically you got him for such good value as he wanted to come to play for your club (the same reason we got Ryder).

If he could say no then you would have a disgruntled player on your side, and that's never good news for performance.
Every club wants players that want to play for the colours, and if any Port player said they want out then I would be happy to say good riddance as you don't want players that don't want to put their heart and passion into playing for the club.

I think if you can draft a future superstar with pick 17 then time may show that you got the far better deal than we did, haha

Our drafting has been pretty good the last couple of of years i back our recruiting team to nab some one of quality with both 17+20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same thing I said before.

The only thing that leaves a sour taste in my mouth is that Ryder stated at the start of this he would do the right thing by Essendon if they found a new home for him.

We did (GWS if pick 4 or 7 was offered) and he turned them down which goes against his original statement.

Am I angry? No, just disapointed.

Essendon are not really in a place to call out someone for going against their word (with all we have done over the last 36 months) but two wrongs do not make a right.

Disapointed, yes.
Angry, no.

Port are now in prime position for a flag tilt and Essendon got at least something from the wreckage. Move on, come back in five years to see how Cooney and #17 pan out to see who won this deal.

It amazes me that people still get mad about a player who asks to be traded nominating a club. When was the last time a player who wanted out didn't nominate a club? I honestly can't remember one.

The funny thing was essendon fans were claiming the whole time he was only going for the money and Ryders manager explicitly stated he wasn't going for the money and that was evident with Brisbane and GWS offering him 800+. We were rumoured to be offering 600-700 which was just above his current contract anyway barely any improvement. Essendon will claim he was leaving for the money as his contract was fully front loaded and he wanted the same dough he'd be earning the last few years..however no proof of this was given and other essendon fans conjected that they would be saving a heap of salary by letting him go anyway. If he was contract on a front ended deal and only receiving 350 for the next 2 years which some of your supporters claimed then that is barely any saving anyway..

My last post is more a prediction than anything else.

Joe Daniher and Jake Carlisle will be close to unstoppable by seasons end.

The funny thing was essendon fans were claiming the whole time he was only going for the money and Ryders manager explicitly stated he wasn't going for the money and that was evident with Brisbane and GWS offering him 800+. We were rumoured to be offering 600-700 which was just above his current contract anyway barely any improvement. Essendon will claim he was leaving for the money as his contract was fully front loaded and he wanted the same dough he'd be earning the last few years..however no proof of this was given and other essendon fans conjected that they would be saving a heap of salary by letting him go anyway. If he was contract on a front ended deal and only receiving 350 for the next 2 years which some of your supporters claimed then that is barely any saving anyway..

I never claimed he went for the money.

He is clearly going for the glory, culture and some mates.

I have no problem with him choosing to go to Port. But when he first wanted to leave and he stated he wanted out but wanted the best for Essendon he was lying.

Again, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but that doesn't mean Ryder behaved in the best way either.

I never claimed he went for the money.

He is clearly going for the glory, culture and some mates.

I have no problem with him choosing to go to Port. But when he first wanted to leave and he stated he wanted out but wanted the best for Essendon he was lying.

Again, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but that doesn't mean Ryder behaved in the best way either.

he said he wanted to go to port and for port to do a fair deal and compensate essendon fairly instead of going through the alternative grievance tribunal route. Most club supporters in general agree it is a fair trade in the circumstances other than some/most essendon fans.

Einstein I wrote essendon were mostly to blame.
Honestly if you cannot follow a thread stick to crayons pal.

Honestly if you cannot refrain from childish insults then stick to playing in the sandbox with yourself pal....

Otherwise I was saying essendon were completely to blame and apportioning any blame on the value you got for him on Ryder was unfair. However like much of the saga there is always a little to blame on someone else I guess.

he said he wanted to go to port and for port to do a fair deal and compensate essendon fairly instead of going through the alternative grievance tribunal route. Most club supporters in general agree it is a fair trade in the circumstances other than some/most essendon fans.

The statement I gave you came from very early in the piece when Brisbane was still thought to be the prime destination before Beams also called their name.

I dont blame patty for wanting whats best for patty , its human nature , everyone wants whats best for them .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back