Hot Topic 2016 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been involved with the TAC cup for years and rarely gives very much away. The McGrath info was as much as I could get unfortunately.

Look, that's one persons opinion but watch the guy closely and he reeks of quality.

No surprise at all should he be top ten, if not higher. I'd like him.

Just adding to the McGrath love fest I also have a friend who works as a recruiter for AFL club i cannot mention.

His club have had there eye on him for a long time and love everything about this kid, he mentioned his decision making both with and without the footy was the best he had seen in his time. Told me to keep an eye on him when the Carnival rolls around.

Its been and gone now and I hope we pick him up before they do

Was it the same few people who have changed their minds? If not, you're attempt at point scoring is redundant.

Also define 'jumped on'.

See this is a large forum with a lot of diverse opinions. A lot of people want to go to the draft and have expressed as much so there are no prizes for expressing such a thing. Some want to trade. Some want to consider all options depending on the deal and not rule anything out prematurely.

Someone who is arguing their case is not jumping on you as such and the chances are they have had thst same discussion with many others.
I do not have to justify myself to someone who is talking down to me like you are for a start, and I was "jumped on" by people who did not want to accept the information that I had heard from Cal Twomey on the AFL site to do with next years draft kids being one of the best groups ever !!! I was greeted with comments like Twomey is full of S**T like most journos and we should not plan our list management on his comments because he knows nothing about the draft kids. Also I was told that he is biased because he works for the AFL and would say these comments about every draft !!! There are quite a few narrow minded people on this forum who love an argument, but I don`t arc up just to "score points" as you stated, because it is just self indulgent and boring!!! I was angry at people who were being dismissive about the information that I passed on, when all I said was that we should keep our 2017 draft picks because next year was going to be a much better draft than this years according to C.Twomey and B.Sanderson. My point of view was based on the information from these AFL draft experts who work with and get to know the young kids who are coming through the system, and just because some people on here don`t want to "trust" this info, that is their problem............but as I said "don`t shoot the messenger" as I was not trying to force my opinion on others (like you have tried to do to me here with your aloofness !!!) I was only trying to pass on info about why we should hang onto next years picks !!! By the way if you want to ban me from here........do it, but I can tell you that there are some on here that actually do go looking to score points against others just for their egos, but unless someone actually talks down to me, frankly my dear I don`t give a damn !!! P.S if you try to continue this little debate as you often do with others, I will ignore you !!!!!!!

I would have thought that Caleb Daniel would have gone a long way to dispelling the myth that small midfielders will struggle.
Height 168 cm
Weight 68 kg
His skill and composure is already critical to the dogs midfield. A very similar role to Sam Mitchell. That is was I think Ainsworth may be able to do for us. Skill and composure is a skill set we are in desperate need of, and could be considered one of our top needs. We can't overlook him simply because he's short. Mitchell (179cm) and Daniel are a perfect example of that.

Also, when talking about weight you must remember how much shorter he is. 77 kgs on a guy who is only 177cm might look small on paper, but it is a very solid size. That's all Ainsworth would need to get too. An example would be Puopolo, he's only 76 kgs, yet I'd say pound for pound he is possibly the most physically explosive player in the competition. There's a reason not many are able to break his tackles, and is so hard to tackle himself. Another would be Brent Harvey. 177 cm and 75 kgs. So 177cm and 73kg for Ainsworth isn't far off what he will be long term. Could almost get there in 1 pre-season. But I'll give him two, because I'm a generous guy ;)
Good comparison to brent harvey he may well be the next harvey he looks that good would/should we pass that oppurtunity up ?. Could replace murphy in time or change with murphy fwd till murph is done . Caleb daniel is certainly going well through the midfield and 1st year player gresham at a similar height looks a beauty . I havnt seen much or any of the other top picks but theyd have to be special to top ainsworth imo .

I do not have to justify myself to someone who is talking down to me like you are for a start, and I was "jumped on" by people who did not want to accept the information that I had heard from Cal Twomey on the AFL site to do with next years draft kids being one of the best groups ever !!! I was greeted with comments like Twomey is full of S**T like most journos and we should not plan our list management on his comments because he knows nothing about the draft kids. Also I was told that he is biased because he works for the AFL and would say these comments about every draft !!! There are quite a few narrow minded people on this forum who love an argument, but I don`t arc up just to "score points" as you stated, because it is just self indulgent and boring!!! I was angry at people who were being dismissive about the information that I passed on, when all I said was that we should keep our 2017 draft picks because next year was going to be a much better draft than this years according to C.Twomey and B.Sanderson. My point of view was based on the information from these AFL draft experts who work with and get to know the young kids who are coming through the system, and just because some people on here don`t want to "trust" this info, that is their problem............but as I said "don`t shoot the messenger" as I was not trying to force my opinion on others (like you have tried to do to me here with your aloofness !!!) I was only trying to pass on info about why we should hang onto next years picks !!! By the way if you want to ban me from here........do it, but I can tell you that there are some on here that actually do go looking to score points against others just for their egos, but unless someone actually talks down to me, frankly my dear I don`t give a damn !!! P.S if you try to continue this little debate as you often do with others, I will ignore you !!!!!!!

1. Talking down to you ... like coming in here chastising people for apparently changing their minds after jumping on you previously? Berating random people sounds like talking down to me.

2. Most of the posters here access what Twomey says and writes. It is not as though you came in here with some secret information that only you knew about. So I'm not sure why you take an attack on Twomey as an attack on you when all you did is repost something that was already known. Some people believe that Twomey and Sheehan are more inclined to be overly positive about draft prospects and future drafts as it is in the best interests of their jobs to be so.

3. You did point score. You saw a discussion where somebody quoted Twomey and used that as an opportunity to bring up the fact that you had previously quoted Twomey and berating those who argued with you at the time. I am still not sure that those quoting Twomey were the same as those arguing against him, so the point might be moot.

4. It is a large message forum. You will find disagreement at every turn. The old saying you can't please all of the people all of the time applies here. A certain level of diplomacy is necessary or failing that, a very thick skin.

5. I'll consider myself ignored.

1. Talking down to you ... like coming in here chastising people for apparently changing their minds after jumping on you previously? Berating random people sounds like talking down to me.

2. Most of the posters here access what Twomey says and writes. It is not as though you came in here with some secret information that only you knew about. So I'm not sure why you take an attack on Twomey as an attack on you when all you did is repost something that was already known. Some people believe that Twomey and Sheehan are more inclined to be overly positive about draft prospects and future drafts as it is in the best interests of their jobs to be so.

3. You did point score. You saw a discussion where somebody quoted Twomey and used that as an opportunity to bring up the fact that you had previously quoted Twomey and berating those who argued with you at the time. I am still not sure that those quoting Twomey were the same as those arguing against him, so the point might be moot.

4. It is a large message forum. You will find disagreement at every turn. The old saying you can't please all of the people all of the time applies here. A certain level of diplomacy is necessary or failing that, a very thick skin.

5. I'll consider myself ignored.

If I hadn't learned to let go some of the things I've read in here I reckon I might have just had a heart attack by now. And I am 24

Good comparison to brent harvey he may well be the next harvey he looks that good would/should we pass that oppurtunity up ?. Could replace murphy in time or change with murphy fwd till murph is done . Caleb daniel is certainly going well through the midfield and 1st year player gresham at a similar height looks a beauty . I havnt seen much or any of the other top picks but theyd have to be special to top ainsworth imo .
I really like the look of Ainsworth, would be very happy if we could get him. And isn't he 179cm now? several of the best young mids like Shiel and Treloar are only a couple of cm's taller. He has pure class and looks like he will be a powerful unit.

Relax.

Deep breath.

You're on a forum, if you post an opinion or piece of information there will be those who disagree or choose to dissect what you post. It's not an attack, it's not a vendetta, it's discussion. Sometimes (like now) it gets a little heated, but ranting at folks online never got anyone anywhere.

On the draft speculation - we hear similar things each year. "Next year is going to be a really strong draft". Then next year rolls around and it's "If you think this year's players are good, wait til you see the next batch". Deep, shallow, even, strong - all vague terms that can be interpreted or re-interpreted in plenty of ways. I can say a draft is deep, and in years to come, as long as a few late picks come along, I can justify my point. I can say a draft is strong, and as long as a few players at the top end turn out to be quality, I can justify my point.

The professional journos who cover the TAC players have a vested interest in building hype as early as possible They start talking now about next year's draft so they can churn out an article or two a month over the next year to pad out their wallet. Realistically, it would be very difficult to gauge the depth or strength of a draft while players are still 16 years old and therefore still growing and developing. But the experts will continue to do just that because it's their job.

That's my view, others may disagree. Guys like Cal Twomey would have a better handle on the up and coming juniors than I would, I just avoid putting too much faith in their earliest impressions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A friend of mine is very in the know with the under 18's and has a lot to do with Vic Metro. He is absolutely adamant that McGrath should be pick 1. I questioned him on it and he said he'll start at half back and become a midfielder quickly. Just said that everything about him is good and his character is exceptional. At pick four or five I think he'd be a good pick and I think he'll be available.
Yes. Even though he has played back, midfield really looks his go.........and I'd rarely say that.
Very much a Z. Merrett type of player, for mine and would prefer him over Ainsworth.

McCluggage apparently BOG again this weekend. Won't hurt his chances.

Expecting a 1st pick downgrade to facilitate a GWS and/or Prestia trade, however if we were to retain Pick 5, would
be all for McGrath. Sort of a slightly classier Doc, with more midfield creds.
Given Casey Byrne's LTI, a back half intro, moving to the midfield would be a great fit.

The other blokes I like would be later first rounders or may slip to second.

Expecting a 1st pick downgrade to facilitate a GWS and/or Prestia trade, however if we were to retain Pick 5, would
be all for McGrath. Sort of a slightly classier Doc, with more midfield creds.
Given Casey Byrne's LTI, a back half intro, moving to the midfield would be a great fit.

The other blokes I like would be later first rounders or may slip to second.

Yep agree , there may we'll be our Ist round pick downgraded to accommodate the Prestia trade which will be huge get for the Baggers and with the Sun 's later pick 9 , I'd target Venables or Galucci, both if these boys will turn out to A graders.
Pick 23 , I 'd go for Taranto or Dew and of course in additional to that we have the Giants possible trade.
Very Exciting times ahead, hope Silvani can get it all done he's been amazing.

Yeah I really hope we don't write him off simply because of his height. He looks like he would fit a need for the team like a glove. Combine that Harvey quickness out of the pack with Cripps brutal physicality it's the making of a midfield that looks like a great balance. Throw in a Murphy, Gibbs with a rotation of Kerridge and Wright and suddenly it looks like quite the efficient midfield.

Possibly throw Mitchell in as well? Starts looking real good...

Yeah I really hope we don't write him off simply because of his height. He looks like he would fit a need for the team like a glove. Combine that Harvey quickness out of the pack with Cripps brutal physicality it's the making of a midfield that looks like a great balance. Throw in a Murphy, Gibbs with a rotation of Kerridge and Wright and suddenly it looks like quite the efficient midfield.

Possibly throw Mitchell in as well? Starts looking real good...
Agree some serious wheels on him and add murphy who will be like a new recruit next year with the time hes missed this year and hopefully with the addition of a couple more in the middle and yep that midfield looks a lot better . Ainsworth would be ready to go straight into the side as well i would think .

Relax.

Deep breath.

You're on a forum, if you post an opinion or piece of information there will be those who disagree or choose to dissect what you post. It's not an attack, it's not a vendetta, it's discussion. Sometimes (like now) it gets a little heated, but ranting at folks online never got anyone anywhere.

On the draft speculation - we hear similar things each year. "Next year is going to be a really strong draft". Then next year rolls around and it's "If you think this year's players are good, wait til you see the next batch". Deep, shallow, even, strong - all vague terms that can be interpreted or re-interpreted in plenty of ways. I can say a draft is deep, and in years to come, as long as a few late picks come along, I can justify my point. I can say a draft is strong, and as long as a few players at the top end turn out to be quality, I can justify my point.

The professional journos who cover the TAC players have a vested interest in building hype as early as possible They start talking now about next year's draft so they can churn out an article or two a month over the next year to pad out their wallet. Realistically, it would be very difficult to gauge the depth or strength of a draft while players are still 16 years old and therefore still growing and developing. But the experts will continue to do just that because it's their job.

That's my view, others may disagree. Guys like Cal Twomey would have a better handle on the up and coming juniors than I would, I just avoid putting too much faith in their earliest impressions.
A far better response than was deserved.

If Ainsworth could have the same effect as guys like rioli, betts, breust or even puopolo and Thomas I think we would be happy spending a high draft pick ...although most of those guys were taken late in the draft!

A friend of mine is very in the know with the under 18's and has a lot to do with Vic Metro. He is absolutely adamant that McGrath should be pick 1. I questioned him on it and he said he'll start at half back and become a midfielder quickly. Just said that everything about him is good and his character is exceptional. At pick four or five I think he'd be a good pick and I think he'll be available.

Think McGrath will end up being a gun midfielder. Plays a bit like Doc across half back.
With his running ability, outside mid looks on the cards.
If we have pick 4 and did end up taking McGrath I wouldn't be unhappy.
That game Vs Vic Country when he went on to Anisworth who was on fire, shut him down and set up heaps of play.
A real break out performance. Think he ticks a lot of boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back