Traded Adam Treloar [traded w/ #28 to Collingwood for #7, #65, 2016 first rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I'm sure they offered him 100k a year. And everyone who stays with a club stays for unders. And Treloar conducted a sophisticated list analysis before choosing the Pies.

GWS made the decision they could afford to lose him; which looks correct and they spread their age profile with two good picks.

Well with GWS Acadamey they can afford to lose Mids as they be getting Really Good Ones in Nearly every Draft

Spot On. When the Trade was Done. No could of Seen us go this Far Backwards. We though at worst the Pick GWS would bee around Pick 7-8

I thought that the pick is what they would have expected to get tbh. While your team has a good group of young players, i think the loss of beams, shaw, lamumba meant that you were lacking in a lot of mature players, expected you to be around this mark.

Still think it was the right move, the draft wasnt overly hyped by the recruiters and if you put trelour in this years draft or next he would easily be a top 3 pick, exept you have no risk with a 250 - 300 game player with him.

If the players keep on developing your midfield will look good in a few years anyway, add in you have potential cloke money to lure free agents in the next few as well.

Treloars offensive play this year has been phenomenal. Plenty of disposals and runs hard when his side has the ball to break lines.
He is everything people expected him to be.

Interesting seeing Weiderman debut today, the first of two first rounders the pies gave up for Adam. Skinny but looks a natural tall forward, kicking a couple against a solid hawthorn defence.
Will partner up well with Hogan for the next ten years.

Reckon pie fans would have liked him next to Darcy Moore in their forward line as well.

Will be interesting to see who gets picked up this year as the final first rounder for Treloar.

I dont think Collingwood thought their first rounder this year would be a top 5-7 pick. Theyve ended up paying more than they wanted to.

Similar to us with Yarran, but to a lesser extent because its only a second rounder this year.

We thought we be a Finals Team this year and we been no where Close this year so Yeah we payed more then we thought we where going to be

I dont think Collingwood thought their first rounder this year would be a top 5-7 pick. Theyve ended up paying more than they wanted to.

Similar to us with Yarran, but to a lesser extent because its only a second rounder this year.
I can't remember which journalist did S report on first round picks in the last 20 years and how there's only a strike rate of 15% that play over 100 or 150 games.

Collingwood hasn't done too well with first rounders in recent seasons so it really doesn't hurt us whether we finish 12th or 6th. We've invested in a proven gun who will provide guaranteed return.

Yarran is sort of similiar with a second round pick. If he gets back to just his normal form of yesteryears.

You only have to look through team lists and compare a players performances with their order in the draft to realise that people ridiculously over-value the order of selection. It's completely simplistic to think that a number 4 pick is naturally going to be a better player than a number 24 pick. Treloar is a gun. He plays for Collingwood. Win. End of story.

No.

Stop.

Collingwood paid 2 x 1st rounders (yes it may be more than they expected) but they got actual output from their recruit.

Do not bring up Yarran as you guys paid a high price for zero output.

There is a a massive difference in the two trades.

I can't remember which journalist did S report on first round picks in the last 20 years and how there's only a strike rate of 15% that play over 100 or 150 games.
The Weid looks like he will be one of those 15% no doubt.

By the way, that percentage you quoted is way off. It means only 4-5 first rounders every year will only play 100-150 games. Success rate is significantly higher.

This years Pick 7 could yield the next Ollie Wines, Joel Selwood, Jordan Lewis or Dyson Heppell, all picked at that mark in previous years. Quite a good spot in the draft to be.

Last edited:
The Weid looks like he will be one of those 15% no doubt
Anyway, no. No-one at Collingwood and pretty much no one in the AFL would really say we paid overs for Treloar. Only Richmond supporters would, for obvious reasons.

We don't care about some kid called Weid, and we'll still take Treloar. Answer your question?

Anyway, no. No-one at Collingwood and pretty much no one in the AFL would really say we paid overs for Treloar. Only Richmond supporters would, for obvious reasons.

We don't care about some kid called Weid, and we'll still take Treloar. Answer your question?
You definitely overpaid for him. You paid more for Trelaor than Carlton did for Judd.

I'm not saying you overpaid.
Only stating what you paid for him.
Treloar has shown to be one of the best offensive mids in the game. With him, Adams, Pendles, Greenwood and Sidebottom you have on paper one of the most potent midfields in the league. They show this at times, offensively at least.

Weid had a great debut. Reckon he will be that 150 game foil to Hogan at the Dees. If a player like De Goey can get to 100 games, the weid is a lock.

Will be interesting following his career and that of the second half of the Treloar trade.

You definitely overpaid for him. You paid more for Trelaor than Carlton did for Judd.

That makes no sense. Even factoring in the lack of foresight on Collingwood's slide this year, Carlton gave up the 2005 pick 4 (Kennedy), 2007 pick 3 and pick 20, getting back pick 46. Collingwood gave up 2015 pick 7, 2016 pick 7 (at the moment) and pick 65 and got pick 28 back. Carlton gave up higher picks, more of them and got less back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes no sense. Even factoring in the lack of foresight on Collingwood's slide this year, Carlton gave up the 2005 pick 4 (Kennedy), 2007 pick 3 and pick 20, getting back pick 46. Collingwood gave up 2015 pick 7, 2016 pick 7 (at the moment) and pick 65 and got pick 28 back. Carlton gave up higher picks, more of them and got less back.
My mistake, thought Carlton gave up 46 and got 20 back.
Prime example of over rating draft picks. Also, how do you measure Judd's return for Carlton exactly?
Not really. How many players are worth 2 top 10 picks? I could count them on two hands, and Treloar isn't one of them. FWIW I would classify Dangerfield, Fyfe, Hogan, T Lynch (GC), Cameron, Martin, Bont and Stringer the only ones worth that.

My mistake, thought Carlton gave up 46 and got 20 back.

Not really. How many players are worth 2 top 10 picks? I could count them on two hands, and Treloar isn't one of them. FWIW I would classify Dangerfield, Fyfe, Hogan, T Lynch (GC), Cameron, Martin, Bont and Stringer the only ones worth that.
Sometimes overpaying for a young, proven & premium midfielder who offers a point of difference in our team (speed, run & carry) is perfectly fine. We probably overpaid by the margin between pick 7 and pick 20 let's say, but we definately don't lack inexperienced high end draft picks. Again to answer your question. Did we overpay? Probably. Was it a bad strategic decision? No.

There you go, you've done it again. For every top 10 pick you can name who's made it, I can name one who hasn't. Why do you think having a top 10 pick guarantees you a superstar? Look at Adelaide as a prime example. Do they even have any top 10 picks in their side?

Yeah I spose it also depends on who calls out the pick as well. Although Freeman was number 10 pick so not sure of the relevance when talking about pick 7s.
Ok then...

Pick 7 - Danny Roach, Laurence Angwin, Kane Tenace... Probably too soon to judge the more recent group of pick 7s, but amongst them is James Aish. I wonder how many people would rather Aish or Treloar.

I think Collingwood slightly overpaid. But the Pies were the first club to trade for an absolute gun when future trading was open to clubs. I suspect that the pies would have asked for another first from Brisbane when trading Beams, as an example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back