Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

The question is though, besides Gills stick saying that would be a bad look and we would prefer if you didnt... Is there anything in the rules that would prevent it from happening.

Rules, probably not, I'm sure there's a few hundred pages in the AFL's standard playing contract that works against your theory. I can't think of a single instance where a player has opted out of multiple years in their contract for anything other than mental illness or injury. It would of already happened if it was possible I imagine.

He also wouldn't be a free agent, I imagine he would be a delisted free agent.

Rules, probably not, I'm sure there's a few hundred pages in the AFL's standard playing contract that works against your theory. I can't think of a single instance where a player has opted out of multiple years in their contract for anything other than mental illness or injury. It would of already happened if it was possible I imagine.

He also wouldn't be a free agent, I imagine he would be a delisted free agent.

In my scenario Carlton are not terminating his contract, just re-negotiating it so that it ends in 2017 so should be classified as a free agent.

Unlikely scenario #42:

1. Kreuzer to the pies on good $$$ (= pick #3 to CFC as FA).
2. Gibbs to Adelaide for pick #14.
3. Pick #14 to the Pies for Brodie (currently uncontracted)

Pies get Kreuzer and #14 for Brodie. #14 will probably get the Pies Lever from Adelaide (could be a three way trade except for FA bit).
CFC get #3 for a gun mid to replace Gibbs and a younger Ruckman for the rebuild.
May need steak knifes if values not right.

Unlikely scenario #42:

1. Kreuzer to the pies on good $$$ (= pick #3 to CFC as FA).
2. Gibbs to Adelaide for pick #14.
3. Pick #14 to the Pies for Brodie (currently uncontracted)

Pies get Kreuzer and #14 for Brodie. #14 will probably get the Pies Lever from Adelaide (could be a three way trade except for FA bit).
CFC get #3 for a gun mid to replace Gibbs and a younger Ruckman for the rebuild.
May need steak knifes if values not right.

I think I might be misreading this but where is pick 14 coming from and Lever to the pies for pick 14?

plenty of times when players retire before the contract ends. Andrew Lovett, Ben Cousins when he was 'sacked' from West Coast are just examples from the top of my head.

It looks like you're confusing a bunch of different cases.

For a player to leave his club before his contract up the club has to pay out the player. I'm pretty sure that ended up being the case with Lovett, it was the case with Fev, and there are a few other examples for particularly crap players. In each of those cases the player would have become a delisted free agent if such a thing existed, so no compensation.

If a player retires they get a full (if due to injury, which ultimately most are) or partial payout. Again, they'd end up as a delisted free agent if they unretire, ala Mal Michael.

I'm not aware of any contracts being terminated under other circumstances. I'm not convinced that there is any ability to negotiate a contract to be shorter under the CBA.

OK then, ... You are April (fool) premiers and I should have used pick #18!

Can I just ask..... seriously what were you thinking?

Carlton get pick 3 and grundy but lose kruezer and gibbs
Collingwood get Lever but lose grundy
Crows lose 14 and lever and get gibbs.

I feel like the crows should be giving up more? Any reason you don't want more for those superstars?

Can I just ask..... seriously what were you thinking?

Carlton get pick 3 and grundy but lose kruezer and gibbs
Collingwood get Lever but lose grundy
Crows lose 14 and lever and get gibbs.

I feel like the crows should be giving up more? Any reason you don't want more for those superstars?
It was #14 or Lever so...
1. Pies get Kreuzer (5 year older ruck) and Lever (young KPD they need) but lose Grundy.
2. Crows get Gibbs (mid they need right now) for Lever (KPD who is currently not playing whilst on a winning run).
3. Blues get #3 (dependent on where we finish) and Grundy (young ruck for rebuild) but lose Gibbs and Kreuzer (two former pick #1's). And Blues cannot then bring in any Free agents like Fyfe, Martin, etc.

It was #14 or Lever so...
1. Pies get Kreuzer (5 year older ruck) and Lever (young KPD they need) but lose Grundy.
2. Crows get Gibbs (mid they need right now) for Lever (KPD who is currently not playing whilst on a winning run).
3. Blues get #3 (dependent on where we finish) and Grundy (young ruck for rebuild) but lose Gibbs and Kreuzer (two former pick #1's). And Blues cannot then bring in any Free agents like Fyfe, Martin, etc.
I'm glad you started with 'unlikely scenario' be sure it doesn't seem like a good deal for Collingwood or Adelaide!!
Try:
lever to Collingwood for Grundy
Pick 14 to Carlton for Gibbs
Kreuzer stays where he is

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm glad you started with 'unlikely scenario' be sure it doesn't seem like a good deal for Collingwood or Adelaide!!
Try:
lever to Collingwood for Grundy
Pick 14 to Carlton for Gibbs
Kreuzer stays where he is

1. Grundy not going anywhere
2. You can do whatever you like with Lever but for Grundy is unrealistic
3. Pick 14 is ball park for Gibbs IMO but two things you need to keep in mind when doing this deal
- Gibbs has front ended contract and Blues paid majority of it first three years
- Gibbs is under contract and paid majority of it

This is very complex.... veryyyy--- complex and quite frankly it needs to be better than pick 14.

If the club did not not front end his contract probably would have accepted it but Gibbs has been paid one year in advance and SOS is not willing to lose out on one cent. If we are to lose out then pick 14 and something else needs to be minimum requirement for a KEY player for our club.

1. Grundy not going anywhere
2. You can do whatever you like with Lever but for Grundy is unrealistic
3. Pick 14 is ball park for Gibbs IMO but two things you need to keep in mind when doing this deal
- Gibbs has front ended contract and Blues paid majority of it first three years
- Gibbs is under contract and paid majority of it

This is very complex.... veryyyy--- complex and quite frankly it needs to be better than pick 14.

If the club did not not front end his contract probably would have accepted it but Gibbs has been paid one year in advance and SOS is not willing to lose out on one cent. If we are to lose out then pick 14 and something else needs to be minimum requirement for a KEY player for our club.

Pretty confident the deal has passed and all will move on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty confident the deal has passed and all will move on

The Blues will convince Gibbs to stay unless its a deal in our favour in this scenario. He is too important to us and we lose out on money...and this is not going happen with the current List Manager.

they dont need to convince him, he is contracted, the deal passed all move on

Since you know what the deal is - can you shed some light as Carlton CEO disagrees a deal has been done

I understand why you feel this way, you are going to lose a required player at less than market value. But the reality is that it will happen, and that Carlton took all the risk by front loading a long term contract on an interstate recruit.
Gibbs may be worth more on the open market, but this is not an open market. The choice is Adelaide or nothing, and Carlton has accepted that the deal will get done.
Same scenario for Ablett, amazingly commentators like Tim Watson believe Gold Coast should let Ablett go and pay half his contract.
The trade is actually worth similar to what Melbourne paid for Lewis except that you don't need to free up salary cap space. So a first round will do it.
It's crap getting screwed over, but Carlton hold no cards this year, you played them all last year. It's happened to Adelaide more times than any other club I can think of, but that doesn't matter much now.

I agree that a deal will happen - but pick 14 not gonna cut the mustard under contract players are under contract players.

Taylor Walker will leave Crows for pick 14 at 27 years old (28 next year)? Mids play for longer.. the answer is obviously no fricken way.

So take that away with you

I agree that a deal will happen - but pick 14 not gonna cut the mustard under contract players are under contract players.

Taylor Walker will leave Crows for pick 14 at 27 years old (28 next year)? Mids play for longer.. the answer is obviously no fricken way.

Might be pick 14-18

Won't happen now, he stays at Carlton sees out his career.

Everyone is happy, wait except Gibbs

No thanks, we will keep our first round pick and Carlton can keep the ageing player with a couple years left. Our first round selections lately have been good and hopefully we get a 10 year player compared to a slowing player with maybe 3or 4 years left...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back