Sydney 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Must admit I didn't know. :$

We offered him a contract at the end of last year. He declined, saying the cost of living in Sydney was too high (true story!) and he wanted to go back to Melbourne and live with his parents so he could save money.

No teams in Melbourne showed any interest, and at this point our offer was off the table. No one picks him up in any draft.

To top it all off he's now playing with Sydney Uni in the NEAFL, which make all his statements about wanting to go back to Melbourne very strange.

I know it's not answering the OP directly, but of the winless teams in the comp, they have by far the most upside both in terms of player availability in the short term and young talent for the long term.

We offered him a contract at the end of last year. He declined, saying the cost of living in Sydney was too high (true story!) and he wanted to go back to Melbourne and live with his parents so he could save money.

No teams in Melbourne showed any interest, and at this point our offer was off the table. No one picks him up in any draft.

To top it all off he's now playing with Sydney Uni in the NEAFL, which make all his statements about wanting to go back to Melbourne very strange.

WTF. I thought he was playing local footy in Melbourne, did not realise he was still in Sydney.

Any chance of being re-drafted? Or is he one of those guys that doesn't like the rigours of AFL-standard training etc?

Oh wow, the trolling!

The Swans have drafted so many hard at it, in and under midfielders who are slow and can't kick. With the new way the game is being played those qualities in players just isn't cutting it anymore.
Ehh, you say that, but then I would look at Melbourne.

22 for this weekend has all of Jones, Vince, Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Salem, Neal-Bullen. Wouldn't call any of them particularly quick.

I think there's a use problem with Sydney's outside players. You don't see the streaming play out of the Swans; it turns static. I know Rohan's been out of the side, but himself, Cunningham, ZJones and even Aliir should be moving to receiver slots so they can run and gun as the team spreads. But they're just...not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

22 for this weekend has all of Jones, Vince, Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Salem, Neal-Bullen. Wouldn't call any of them particularly quick.

I think there's a use problem with Sydney's outside players. You don't see the streaming play out of the Swans; it turns static. I know Rohan's been out of the side, but himself, Cunningham, ZJones and even Aliir should be moving to receiver slots so they can run and gun as the team spreads. But they're just...not.

Yes but they are better kicks than the Swans players.

He got the same contract offer as guy who had not played football since 2012.

His teammates did not blame him for looking around.

Yes but they are better kicks than the Swans players.
You haven't seen Tyson or Viney kick. And half of BF is ripping into Oliver for being terrible because he doesn't kick enough.

I think we're just hanging on for grim death trying to prevent a blowout occurring so all thought of actually taking the game on gets pushed to the side.

I think we're just hanging on for grim death trying to prevent a blowout occurring so all thought of actually taking the game on gets pushed to the side.
That's well and good when it's halfway through the third and you're well down...but last night it was happening towards the end of the first term when they were still well in it.

It's pretty funny, it was the feed

I mean, considering no other club wanted him even as a rookie I'd say our contract offer was fair.

Strangest story. I can not believe one club did not draft him. Even as a back up/stop gap. Would've come cheap as AFL minimum wage > the average wage by a mile. Collingwood traded in Lynden Dunn.

Why no interest elsewhere?

It's pretty funny, it was the feed

I mean, considering no other club wanted him even as a rookie I'd say our contract offer was fair.
Another club enticed him(along with 3 others), had him train with them, then decided that they probably had enough talls.

His contract and uni degree at Sydney Uni has him in a pretty good place.

Another club enticed him(along with 3 others), had him train with them, then decided that they probably had enough talls.

His contract and uni degree at Sydney Uni has him in a pretty good place.

Look we dont need XR

he was a forward and we dont worry about a forward line these days

Fallen off the edge. I feel sorry for some of their young players. Seems to be a default position of the media to say they have been struggling cos of their youth. Ignoring the fact that guys like Jack, Parker, Hannebery, Smith, Tippett have been shithouse this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back