Sydney 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

the difference for me is that sydney have runs on the board, they seem more likely to be able to turn it around quickly based on where they were last year to this year
Spot on. Swans are 0-5 and couldn't even beat collingwood at the SCG. Gws toyed with them last sat night in what was an embarrassment for the swans, again at the SCG. And gees the swans list management team must be squirming weekly as they see nankervis carving it up for Richmond. If only Tippett could have half the impact for Syd that nankervis is having for rich. It is going to be interesting to see what happens to the afl landscape in Sydney over the next 5 years as the swans spend an extended period near the bottom of the ladder.
People expect this turn around and I'm hearing from all the media experts they will be going into the bye with an equal Ledger.

I'm not tipping them against St K under the roof in round 9, they look way too slow to deal with that midfield, North under he roof is no lock either. I'm tipping them to be 4-7 going into the bye rounds- they still have to vs WB/GWS/Geelong/Adelaide and Richmond at the G. I don't see them making finals, and no one seems to care. Rampe and McVeigh aren't the glue to hold that side, and their injuries aren't to blame for this start, it's all to do with the midfield. I've called Hannebery out as a butcher who has never been AA quality, and look what he's doing when the chips are down. they are in big trouble. My team is in a similar boat, except we are getting the media condemnation that follows.

I'm glad someone agrees w me about Hannebury, I've never understood how he was considered great

So much for the miraculous Sydney revival some thought possible before today. Conclusive proof today that they are just no good. Was very confident they'd miss the 8 this year, but didn't anticipate a drop to the bottom 5. The midifield is slow and one dimensional, the backline is slow and lacks run off half back, and the forward division still relies too heavily on buddy Franklin. At least Sinclair is starting to show something, altho even that's a double edged sword as it's more proof that Tippett is doing nothing more than clogging a list spot and taking up 800k of the salary cap when they could have kept nankervis supported by Sinclair. Any team tha can't beat Carlton or collingwood this year is in serious trouble

Sydney have lacked depth for a couple of years, which is why I find it hard to project where they will finish.

Last year they didn't have too many injuries, so had enough quality on the park to stay very competitive.

This year they have usually fielded teams with a high number of inexperienced players, which has found them out.

Their top-8 chances are gone, but doubt they will stay in the bottom-4.

Sydney have lacked depth for a couple of years, which is why I find it hard to project where they will finish.

Last year they didn't have too many injuries, so had enough quality on the park to stay very competitive.

This year they have usually fielded teams with a high number of inexperienced players, which has found them out.

Their top-8 chances are gone, but doubt they will stay in the bottom-4.

First time ever that I have bothered to read the top 5 predicted draft pick players on the draft board :p

List management has put the swans in this position (including coaching contracts) self inflicted drop down the ladder, too many with inflated reputations (hanners parker), too many falling off a cliff and letting a guy like mitchell go for a wage he should be paid

Love the club, always will. But poor management

How is Longmire escaping the criticism that Clarko and Bucks are getting?
Not sure why either Clarkson or Longmire would be in the same discussion as Buckley!

Clarkson/Buckley - Melbourne
Longmire - Sydney
Clarkson shouldn't be under much criticism. Especially compared to Bucks. 4 flags and all
Longmire has a flag and 2 GFs to hang a hat on.
Bucks, not so much.

Clarkson did green light the loss of Mitchell & Lewis after Hill went (akin to Sydney trading JPK and Mitchell if they also lost Hanneberry)
Clarkson got little in return. Longmire added Florent for Titch.
Add to that, Sydney's woes aren't compounded by not having their 1st rd pick this year.

Sydney have also shown they have some young talent that is pretty good (Florent, Hayward, Foote, Melican, Allir, Jones, Heeney, Mills).
Hawks have really only turned out Burton so far.
Jury out on Hardwick, Lovell, Howe & Brand.
Hartung, Siciliy & O'Brien have been underwhelming to date.

As for Bucks, has taken a premiership list and made them worse year on year to the point you don't really see how it gets fixed.
Team of midfielders, very little midfield talent outside Treloar and Pendles.

Fair enough, but if the media didn't get the idea that Collingwood somehow have "the best midfield in the league", or "should be top four", and actually watched the Pies play and understood the age and inexperience on the list, the narrative would likely be "Buckley will coach out his contract, and not be renewed", rather than "OMG crisis, Buckley must go NOW!". With the list the Pies have, they were only ever going to be a borderline finals side in 2017, yet the media either think it's still 2011, or that time automatically should equal top 4, which is obviously wrong.

Mate it's half a decade since you were any good. Sydney played in a grand final last year.

If the list is no good by now and with Collingwood's seemingly rapid turnover of football staff, who do you blame?

Bucks just isn't up to it.

Mate it's half a decade since you were any good. Sydney played in a grand final last year.

If the list is no good by now and with Collingwood's seemingly rapid turnover of football staff, who do you blame?

Bucks just isn't up to it.

Well, I'm not really looking to blame, because I don't expect anything great from the list at the present time. I'm not under any delusions that we should be a top 4-6 side this year. We're not that bad, just mediocre.

I'm happy for Buckley to coach out his contract. I just don't see what sacking him now achieves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You hate them more when they win. And they'll do a bit of that this year, that dollar made, plastic club, Mumford I don't like him either , Shaw is a loud mouth and has the capacity to abuse his own team mates, Toby I reckon is a nice kid , but he is just too good, so you want to drop a bag of spuds on him.

They'll have their heyday, then the club will collapse because of its position , if it is down the drain in a few years only
about 100 people will go to games.
The area and population is so far from being mad footy fans and hoping for a million is AFL dreaming.
Took the swans two decades, and believe me the afl is aware of that fact.

Not sure why either Clarkson or Longmire would be in the same discussion as Buckley!
For starters they have better lists.
They have been a lot less competitive in some games.
They are top eight teams from the last decade
They didn't play st kilda as a home game at the dome

For starters they have better lists.
They have been a lot less competitive in some games.
They are top eight teams from the last decade
They didn't play st kilda as a home game at the dome
Buckley had a grand final list & 3rd youngest team, ahead of new teams GWS & GC when he took over from Malthouse...

Well the Swans have put all their eggs in 1 basket with Tippett and Franklin since 2013/14. So far hasnt yielded a premiership and with those 2 taking up a huge chunk of cap space the downswing is going to be huge. Didnt think they would go from Grand Final appearance to bottom 4 though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back