Sydney 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

They remind me so much of us last year it's scary. Totally devoid of confidence and understanding of their own roles right now. The good thing for them is they have ample time to get themselves right for 2018. Anyone who isn't going to be there for their next flag push can GTFO now, play a couple more kids, start hunting the footy again, belt the Lions and take it from there.

They have the young talent and they still have some A-grade senior guys, they're probably in a position to rebound quicker than most but only if they start making the hard calls now.

I whacked $50 on the swans to win the flag this year with the promise of a $5 bonus bet each time they won a game. Still waiting for that first $5 to come back to me haha.
Now that I have kissed the $50 away I'm enjoying seeing them struggle this year. I do think they will most likely bounce back next year unlike the Hawks however would love them to spend a few years in the bottom rungs of the ladder.
Will be interesting to see their crowd numbers if they continue to lose matches as I'd rate The Sydney sporting public as the most fickle in the country.

I whacked $50 on the swans to win the flag this year with the promise of a $5 bonus bet each time they won a game. Still waiting for that first $5 to come back to me haha.
Now that I have kissed the $50 away I'm enjoying seeing them struggle this year. I do think they will most likely bounce back next year unlike the Hawks however would love them to spend a few years in the bottom rungs of the ladder.
Will be interesting to see their crowd numbers if they continue to lose matches as I'd rate The Sydney sporting public as the most fickle in the country.

Tell that to North Melbourne who got a crowd of about 15,000 to Etihad yesterday.

They are certainly real now, but you may recall a certain Joffrey Edelsteon and the swanettes, and i believe a pink helicopter landing in the Centre square etc etc

Well they were always South Melbourne , that is the context in what I mean. Brisbane success never came til Fitzroy combined with the Bears, all we ever needed were a club in Sydney and a club in Brisbane, one for each.

The AFL took all the fairness and threw it down the sewerage drain, when it invented and bought GC17 and GWS.

For some big money, but for what else, the doldrums for many clubs of traditional beginnings, that's what else.

Swans and Brisbane had to work , the long time and the private money didn't lift them anywhere really, Sydney get a leg up before because of the huge Sydney population , of course that was VFL/AFL looking at dollars again. Up went Barrasi with everything he asked for. That was South Melbourne re booted and re named, then after several years Fitzroy and the merge sent the Lions to four premiership games, winning three.
But out come two new plastics for TV rights , got the world , one of them isn't going that well, the other could become undefeatable in 4 or 5 years , where as my Hawks took from 1925, don't know about anyone else WHO FOLLOW TRADITIONAL CLUBS , BUT FOR ME WE DON'T HAVE THE PLAYER POOL TO KEEP OUR GAME WHAT IT SHOULD BE, AND IF YOU LOOK BACK AT SOME OF MY POSTS FROM 2 OR 3 YEARS AGO i HAVE SAID THAT hAWTHORN MAY HAVE A LONG STRUGGLE WHEN THIS TEAM FINALLY SUCCUMBS, and the Hawks look done for quite a while in rebuild, they have success financially and may come back, some clubs will have to drift into the 2nd division because they will never make it, and that is proven by seeing clubs like Melbourne and St Kilda and the Dogs take decades before they even get close, that will happen to others as well, and some fans will all suffer the decades of drought , while some just stay at the top because they have the initial good players good finances , but the overall pool will be weak and maybe only 12 or 14 clubs should still be there one in Tassie too .

But fairness is about starting on the same footing , and going from there. Plastics haven't done that at all.
(apologise for BLOODY CAP KEY)
I think the rule fiddling has something very very strongly to do with the lack of skill level change, bad kicking, game too fast, throwing for handballing, you all know what you see, because of the population size is not large enough to cope and the AFL knew it before they had Footscray refuse to go to "West " Sydney, or North refused QLD, but we would still have 16 clubs and maybe we would not be looking at 2 divisions soon.

Now how did we get to this. Money hungry non football fools running our national game. Corporates.

I'm finding this season hilarious, bigfooty posters I've found have a substantially better understanding of the situation the Swans are in. Facebook Swans groups fans are clueless in general and burying their heads in the sand thinking all is well LOL!!!

We can miss the finals once, its ok, sun will come up tomorrow haha. In the next two years we have some serious $$$ getting freed up Tippet, Reid, Sinclair, Mcveigh thats $1.6-$2million odd. We will make a play at seasons end for Miles, McKenzie, Preuss types no doubt and get 1 if not 2 absolute ripper kids in the draft.

Hayward already shown he is good enough at this level, more kids coming we'll be fine. even by season's end we'll start to pick up, just want that number 1 pick now.

Well they were always South Melbourne , that is the context in what I mean. Brisbane success never came til Fitzroy combined with the Bears, all we ever needed were a club in Sydney and a club in Brisbane, one for each.

The AFL took all the fairness and threw it down the sewerage drain, when it invented and bought GC17 and GWS.

For some big money, but for what else, the doldrums for many clubs of traditional beginnings, that's what else.

Swans and Brisbane had to work , the long time and the private money didn't lift them anywhere really, Sydney get a leg up before because of the huge Sydney population , of course that was VFL/AFL looking at dollars again. Up went Barrasi with everything he asked for. That was South Melbourne re booted and re named, then after several years Fitzroy and the merge sent the Lions to four premiership games, winning three.
But out come two new plastics for TV rights , got the world , one of them isn't going that well, the other could become undefeatable in 4 or 5 years , where as my Hawks took from 1925, don't know about anyone else WHO FOLLOW TRADITIONAL CLUBS , BUT FOR ME WE DON'T HAVE THE PLAYER POOL TO KEEP OUR GAME WHAT IT SHOULD BE, AND IF YOU LOOK BACK AT SOME OF MY POSTS FROM 2 OR 3 YEARS AGO i HAVE SAID THAT hAWTHORN MAY HAVE A LONG STRUGGLE WHEN THIS TEAM FINALLY SUCCUMBS, and the Hawks look done for quite a while in rebuild, they have success financially and may come back, some clubs will have to drift into the 2nd division because they will never make it, and that is proven by seeing clubs like Melbourne and St Kilda and the Dogs take decades before they even get close, that will happen to others as well, and some fans will all suffer the decades of drought , while some just stay at the top because they have the initial good players good finances , but the overall pool will be weak and maybe only 12 or 14 clubs should still be there one in Tassie too .

But fairness is about starting on the same footing , and going from there. Plastics haven't done that at all.
(apologise for BLOODY CAP KEY)
I think the rule fiddling has something very very strongly to do with the lack of skill level change, bad kicking, game too fast, throwing for handballing, you all know what you see, because of the population size is not large enough to cope and the AFL knew it before they had Footscray refuse to go to "West " Sydney, or North refused QLD, but we would still have 16 clubs and maybe we would not be looking at 2 divisions soon.

Now how did we get to this. Money hungry non football fools running our national game. Corporates.

Well, you make quite a few salient points. I suppose basically you're saying that expansion into non- trad states is a mistake, unless clubs can be induced to relocate from Melbourne.

What you say about rampant corporate demand for expansion is spot on, but as a resident of Sydney I welcome the new team. In the past couple of decades the game once known as 'Aussie Rules' has increased almost exponentially in popularity in Sydney, from a niche interest to highly visible pastime.
I reckon in 20 years the Giants will feel as real and relevant as the swans. It's also true that traditional Melbourne clubs will suffer to enable this.

In terms of talent pool, the population today is around fifty percent higher than the VFL days of 12 teams. (In the final year of the VFL 1989 there were just under 16.8 million people living in aust, compared to 24.5 million today). What better way to increase the talent pool than to take the game to areas such as W. Sydney? The other way is to draw on the vast untapped talents in NT and other predominantly aboriginal communities- a subject for another thread perhaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May as well start pushing the older ones out that arent performing and start playing more kids. Would the Swans trade Jack, McVeigh or Tippett?

May as well start pushing the older ones out that arent performing and start playing more kids. Would the Swans trade Jack, McVeigh or Tippett?

Yes. If anyone wanted one of them I think the Swans would seriously entertain it. Tippett especially since he is taking up too much of our cap at the moment and we are desperate to hang onto Reid and Jones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back